Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 6 votes

J13's - WITB - Rogue SZ 3 wood - Ping GMAX


2531 replies to this topic

#2521 J13

J13

    60% of the time, every time.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,818 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Joined: 03/08/2009
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5665

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:53 PM

View PostDNice26, on 14 April 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

J13, may I ask....in your opinion, how many grams of melt does it take to slightly impact flight bias?  I have the G400max in 9 and I'm looking to make it slightly more fade biased with some melt.  Also thinking the sound could be improved a smidge as a side effect.  More interested in the slight fade bias than the sound change.  3g out toward the toe?  A local builder I believe is experienced in melt, but wanted to get your thoughts.  Many thanks!!!!  Great thread and fun to follow.

Yeah 3g won't do anything for bias.  It will and can effect sound though.  I would say if you want to add bias see if you can put a lighter weight in the rear then you would probably have to add around 6-10g depending on head and setup.  Also make sure your local builder knows how to melt and uses REAL hotmelt.  Can't tell you how many guys use a local builder who uses rat glue or rattle stop.  REAL HOTMELT only otherwise you are going to experience drying, cracking, and rattle at some point.  Ask him to show you what he uses.  The reason i got a hotmelt setup was because 99% of builders have ZERO clue how to hotmelt or access to a real setup and melt.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* / Mitsu Kuro Kage Dual Core XT 70TX
Callaway Rogue SZ 15* w/ Veylix Rome 888 X
Taylormade UDI 2 iron (UST Proforce V2)
Srixon 745's 4-PW (Modus Tour 120 TX)
Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 Modus3 125 wedge shaft
Odyssey White Hot Versa #6
Srixon Zstar XV


GolfWrx WITB Podcast: http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2522 DNice26

DNice26

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
  • Joined: 08/20/2009
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 885

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:03 AM

View PostJ13, on 14 April 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

View PostDNice26, on 14 April 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

J13, may I ask....in your opinion, how many grams of melt does it take to slightly impact flight bias?  I have the G400max in 9 and I'm looking to make it slightly more fade biased with some melt.  Also thinking the sound could be improved a smidge as a side effect.  More interested in the slight fade bias than the sound change.  3g out toward the toe?  A local builder I believe is experienced in melt, but wanted to get your thoughts.  Many thanks!!!!  Great thread and fun to follow.

Yeah 3g won't do anything for bias.  It will and can effect sound though.  I would say if you want to add bias see if you can put a lighter weight in the rear then you would probably have to add around 6-10g depending on head and setup.  Also make sure your local builder knows how to melt and uses REAL hotmelt.  Can't tell you how many guys use a local builder who uses rat glue or rattle stop.  REAL HOTMELT only otherwise you are going to experience drying, cracking, and rattle at some point.  Ask him to show you what he uses.  The reason i got a hotmelt setup was because 99% of builders have ZERO clue how to hotmelt or access to a real setup and melt.

Great tips!  Silly question, is there a brand name for the real hot melt?  So when he shows me, I know it is what I want to see?  I would likely end up in the low end (6g) of your estimate, as I don’t really want to change the club much.  Two local places do it I believe, on is Club Champion and the other is called Novo golf.  Thank you for entertaining my questions!  Cheers!
Ping G400Max 9 w/GD AD TP 6S
Callaway Rogue SZ 15
Mizuno H4 4 iron, Ctaper Lite X, M
MP5 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
Scotty Kombi "S" 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

2

#2523 JTD0314

JTD0314

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139154
  • Joined: 09/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:39 AM

My Max with J13’s hotmelt treatment (10 grams) has kicked the standard G400 out of the bag to the BST.  The feel and sound with the hotmelt surpasses the G400.  I don’t have any #’s, but after several rounds at my course, the 10.5 Max with ADTP 7x is as long as any driver I have gamed (G Lst, Cobra LTD, G400 and Epic SZ), but my consistency is unreal.  I can work it both ways, but it wants to just go straight.  The only downside of the Max is that it is hard to hit a hard draw when needed.  I cant thank J13 enough for his hotmelt expertise.  I don’t think I would have stayed with the Max in stock form due to the sound and feel.

3

#2524 J13

J13

    60% of the time, every time.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,818 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Joined: 03/08/2009
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5665

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:13 PM

View PostDNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 02:03 AM, said:

View PostJ13, on 14 April 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

View PostDNice26, on 14 April 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

J13, may I ask....in your opinion, how many grams of melt does it take to slightly impact flight bias?  I have the G400max in 9 and I'm looking to make it slightly more fade biased with some melt.  Also thinking the sound could be improved a smidge as a side effect.  More interested in the slight fade bias than the sound change.  3g out toward the toe?  A local builder I believe is experienced in melt, but wanted to get your thoughts.  Many thanks!!!!  Great thread and fun to follow.

Yeah 3g won't do anything for bias.  It will and can effect sound though.  I would say if you want to add bias see if you can put a lighter weight in the rear then you would probably have to add around 6-10g depending on head and setup.  Also make sure your local builder knows how to melt and uses REAL hotmelt.  Can't tell you how many guys use a local builder who uses rat glue or rattle stop.  REAL HOTMELT only otherwise you are going to experience drying, cracking, and rattle at some point.  Ask him to show you what he uses.  The reason i got a hotmelt setup was because 99% of builders have ZERO clue how to hotmelt or access to a real setup and melt.

Great tips!  Silly question, is there a brand name for the real hot melt?  So when he shows me, I know it is what I want to see?  I would likely end up in the low end (6g) of your estimate, as I don’t really want to change the club much.  Two local places do it I believe, on is Club Champion and the other is called Novo golf.  Thank you for entertaining my questions!  Cheers!

I know Club Champion does it at their HQ but local shops do not have hotmelt setups from my understanding.  Don't know who Novo golf is.  I do melt work for members of the board as well as a lot of locals so if you have trouble finding a spot just shoot me a pm and i'll help you out no problem.  

View PostJTD0314, on 15 April 2018 - 05:39 AM, said:

My Max with J13’s hotmelt treatment (10 grams) has kicked the standard G400 out of the bag to the BST.  The feel and sound with the hotmelt surpasses the G400.  I don’t have any #’s, but after several rounds at my course, the 10.5 Max with ADTP 7x is as long as any driver I have gamed (G Lst, Cobra LTD, G400 and Epic SZ), but my consistency is unreal.  I can work it both ways, but it wants to just go straight.  The only downside of the Max is that it is hard to hit a hard draw when needed.  I cant thank J13 enough for his hotmelt expertise.  I don’t think I would have stayed with the Max in stock form due to the sound and feel.

Great to hear and glad you like it.  Amazing how the right setup in a head can transform it :superman:






Side note: after doing some more work to Rogue SZ 3 wood the club is working MUCH better for me.  I removed the heavier forward weight and put back in the 2g and added melt to the rear of the club and center.  Much more consistent and i'm really enjoying it.  I still plan on bending it a few degrees upright so it setups better for me but all in all it's a great stick.

Also won 2nd round match today in HORRIBLE weather in the Maryland state team matches :golfer: :pimp:

Edited by J13, 15 April 2018 - 06:16 PM.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* / Mitsu Kuro Kage Dual Core XT 70TX
Callaway Rogue SZ 15* w/ Veylix Rome 888 X
Taylormade UDI 2 iron (UST Proforce V2)
Srixon 745's 4-PW (Modus Tour 120 TX)
Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 Modus3 125 wedge shaft
Odyssey White Hot Versa #6
Srixon Zstar XV


GolfWrx WITB Podcast: http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

4

#2525 DNice26

DNice26

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
  • Joined: 08/20/2009
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 885

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:53 PM

View PostJ13, on 15 April 2018 - 06:13 PM, said:

View PostDNice26, on 15 April 2018 - 02:03 AM, said:

View PostJ13, on 14 April 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

View PostDNice26, on 14 April 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

J13, may I ask....in your opinion, how many grams of melt does it take to slightly impact flight bias?  I have the G400max in 9 and I'm looking to make it slightly more fade biased with some melt.  Also thinking the sound could be improved a smidge as a side effect.  More interested in the slight fade bias than the sound change.  3g out toward the toe?  A local builder I believe is experienced in melt, but wanted to get your thoughts.  Many thanks!!!!  Great thread and fun to follow.

Yeah 3g won't do anything for bias.  It will and can effect sound though.  I would say if you want to add bias see if you can put a lighter weight in the rear then you would probably have to add around 6-10g depending on head and setup.  Also make sure your local builder knows how to melt and uses REAL hotmelt.  Can't tell you how many guys use a local builder who uses rat glue or rattle stop.  REAL HOTMELT only otherwise you are going to experience drying, cracking, and rattle at some point.  Ask him to show you what he uses.  The reason i got a hotmelt setup was because 99% of builders have ZERO clue how to hotmelt or access to a real setup and melt.

Great tips!  Silly question, is there a brand name for the real hot melt?  So when he shows me, I know it is what I want to see?  I would likely end up in the low end (6g) of your estimate, as I don’t really want to change the club much.  Two local places do it I believe, on is Club Champion and the other is called Novo golf.  Thank you for entertaining my questions!  Cheers!

I know Club Champion does it at their HQ but local shops do not have hotmelt setups from my understanding.  Don't know who Novo golf is.  I do melt work for members of the board as well as a lot of locals so if you have trouble finding a spot just shoot me a pm and i'll help you out no problem.  

View PostJTD0314, on 15 April 2018 - 05:39 AM, said:

My Max with J13’s hotmelt treatment (10 grams) has kicked the standard G400 out of the bag to the BST.  The feel and sound with the hotmelt surpasses the G400.  I don’t have any #’s, but after several rounds at my course, the 10.5 Max with ADTP 7x is as long as any driver I have gamed (G Lst, Cobra LTD, G400 and Epic SZ), but my consistency is unreal.  I can work it both ways, but it wants to just go straight.  The only downside of the Max is that it is hard to hit a hard draw when needed.  I cant thank J13 enough for his hotmelt expertise.  I don’t think I would have stayed with the Max in stock form due to the sound and feel.

Great to hear and glad you like it.  Amazing how the right setup in a head can transform it :superman:






Side note: after doing some more work to Rogue SZ 3 wood the club is working MUCH better for me.  I removed the heavier forward weight and put back in the 2g and added melt to the rear of the club and center.  Much more consistent and i'm really enjoying it.  I still plan on bending it a few degrees upright so it setups better for me but all in all it's a great stick.

Also won 2nd round match today in HORRIBLE weather in the Maryland state team matches :golfer: :pimp:

Thank you J13, might take you up on that.  

Funny, I also have a Rogue SZ EF6.5 15 degree that I think could use some weight back.

Ping G400Max 9 w/GD AD TP 6S
Callaway Rogue SZ 15
Mizuno H4 4 iron, Ctaper Lite X, M
MP5 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
Scotty Kombi "S" 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

5

#2526 J13

J13

    60% of the time, every time.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,818 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Joined: 03/08/2009
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5665

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:01 PM

DNice no prob just want to make sure people avoid the knucklehead local builders that have no clue on real hotmelt or what it actually is thinking rat glue is the same thing.  Rogue SZ with some weight in the head feels really good and makes the head more stable IMO.  I tried a 6g weight in the front and it was just ok.  Slapped the 2g back in and added that weight to the rear and i'm in business :D

Edited by J13, 16 April 2018 - 05:23 PM.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* / Mitsu Kuro Kage Dual Core XT 70TX
Callaway Rogue SZ 15* w/ Veylix Rome 888 X
Taylormade UDI 2 iron (UST Proforce V2)
Srixon 745's 4-PW (Modus Tour 120 TX)
Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 Modus3 125 wedge shaft
Odyssey White Hot Versa #6
Srixon Zstar XV


GolfWrx WITB Podcast: http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

6

#2527 collje26

collje26

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 346271
  • Joined: 10/26/2014
  • Handicap:zero
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:57 PM

View PostJ13, on 23 March 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

Well i got to practice more with the Rogue SZ 3 wood and i think it's going to be in the bag a LONG time.  Great shape, great feel, and perfect size.  Overall i love the trajectory from both the deck and tee.  Very rarely do i find a 3 wood that i can hit the same window whether it's on the ground or tee, the last 3 wood to do that for me was a 2016 Tour issue M2.  Time on the course has been cut short thanks to the winter storm that just ripped through the north east.  Hopefully courses will reopen in a week or two :(

Ping G400 MAX

Stopped at the shop today after a trip to the doc's for a cortisone shot (tennis elbow) so i was feeling good.  Hit the GMAX next to my stick and the Rogue SZ.  Have to say the GMax is pretty damn good.  Spin is about 200-300rpm's higher then my LST but the forgiveness factor was noticeable.  Rogue SZ continues to impress me and just hits BOMBS.  I'm planning on getting on trackman in a few weeks outdoors to do more testing so we will see :D

Compared to my LST quick comparison

Trajectory - About the same as my LST
Spin - LST lower on average by about 200-300rpm
Dispersion - MAX was on par with LST which has been great
Forgiveness - MAX is crazy
Look - Noticeably bigger and just looks like you can smash it
Sound- LIttle higher then LST stock but hotmelt is easy enough

Are you still currently gaming the LST or the Max? Currently gaming a LST 10 however always looking for something very forgiving and if it's only 500rpm more spin that's something I'm really interested in.
Ping G400 LST 10 Tensei Pro Blue 70tx
Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Blue 80tx
Ping G 17.5 Diamana S+ 80tx
Ping G400 Crossover 19 with Modus 105x
Ping I200 Tour issue AMT S400 4-P
Ping Glide 2.0 52SS Tour issue S400
Ping Glide 2.0 58SS Tour issue S400
Ping Arna 34' UST frequency shaft

7

#2528 J13

J13

    60% of the time, every time.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,818 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Joined: 03/08/2009
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5665

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:25 PM

View Postcollje26, on 16 April 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

View PostJ13, on 23 March 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

Well i got to practice more with the Rogue SZ 3 wood and i think it's going to be in the bag a LONG time.  Great shape, great feel, and perfect size.  Overall i love the trajectory from both the deck and tee.  Very rarely do i find a 3 wood that i can hit the same window whether it's on the ground or tee, the last 3 wood to do that for me was a 2016 Tour issue M2.  Time on the course has been cut short thanks to the winter storm that just ripped through the north east.  Hopefully courses will reopen in a week or two :(

Ping G400 MAX

Stopped at the shop today after a trip to the doc's for a cortisone shot (tennis elbow) so i was feeling good.  Hit the GMAX next to my stick and the Rogue SZ.  Have to say the GMax is pretty damn good.  Spin is about 200-300rpm's higher then my LST but the forgiveness factor was noticeable.  Rogue SZ continues to impress me and just hits BOMBS.  I'm planning on getting on trackman in a few weeks outdoors to do more testing so we will see :D

Compared to my LST quick comparison

Trajectory - About the same as my LST
Spin - LST lower on average by about 200-300rpm
Dispersion - MAX was on par with LST which has been great
Forgiveness - MAX is crazy
Look - Noticeably bigger and just looks like you can smash it
Sound- LIttle higher then LST stock but hotmelt is easy enough

Are you still currently gaming the LST or the Max? Currently gaming a LST 10 however always looking for something very forgiving and if it's only 500rpm more spin that's something I'm really interested in.

I'm still playing the LST.  I think it's the best head available from Ping.  It's already extremely forgiving and spin hovers around 2500-2600 for me.  Max in my testing is another few hundred rpm's higher which starts to peel away distance.  Maybe if i tinkered with it I could make it work but don't see any reason to do that experiment as I would just be recreating the LST.
Ping G400 LST 8.5* / Mitsu Kuro Kage Dual Core XT 70TX
Callaway Rogue SZ 15* w/ Veylix Rome 888 X
Taylormade UDI 2 iron (UST Proforce V2)
Srixon 745's 4-PW (Modus Tour 120 TX)
Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 Modus3 125 wedge shaft
Odyssey White Hot Versa #6
Srixon Zstar XV


GolfWrx WITB Podcast: http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

8

#2529 collje26

collje26

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 346271
  • Joined: 10/26/2014
  • Handicap:zero
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for the insight! I see about the same. Launch at around 12, spin 2200-2400 and ball speed around 167-170.
Ping G400 LST 10 Tensei Pro Blue 70tx
Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Blue 80tx
Ping G 17.5 Diamana S+ 80tx
Ping G400 Crossover 19 with Modus 105x
Ping I200 Tour issue AMT S400 4-P
Ping Glide 2.0 52SS Tour issue S400
Ping Glide 2.0 58SS Tour issue S400
Ping Arna 34' UST frequency shaft

9

#2530 J13

J13

    60% of the time, every time.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,818 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Joined: 03/08/2009
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5665

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:57 PM

View Postcollje26, on 16 April 2018 - 09:22 PM, said:

Thanks for the insight! I see about the same. Launch at around 12, spin 2200-2400 and ball speed around 167-170.

No problem.  Can't go wrong with either but only way to really find out is to get them on a launch monitor and or on course.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* / Mitsu Kuro Kage Dual Core XT 70TX
Callaway Rogue SZ 15* w/ Veylix Rome 888 X
Taylormade UDI 2 iron (UST Proforce V2)
Srixon 745's 4-PW (Modus Tour 120 TX)
Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 Modus3 125 wedge shaft
Odyssey White Hot Versa #6
Srixon Zstar XV


GolfWrx WITB Podcast: http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#2531 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117052
  • Joined: 11/04/2010
  • Location:Oklahoma
  • Ebay ID:Rosco1216
GolfWRX Likes : 577

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:51 PM

Iím thinking this will be the next driving iron shaft experiment in my rabbit hole of a search.

Attached Thumbnails

  • 9385C9F9-D471-49EE-807C-18DF17FF5F48.png

G400LST 8*- KK DC Tini 70TX Tour Proto
Cobra LTD 4-5 16.5* - Xphlexxx Agera X
Cobra King Utility 3i 19.5* - Speeder 9.8X Tour Spec
Adams MB2 raw 4-P - Nippon SPB x hard-stepped -or-
J15CB 4-P - Modus 120 TX(w/sensicore)
SM5 50*, TM EF Tour Grind 55* & 60*, X100
O-works Black 3T, Huntington Beach #8

https://www.instagram.com/ross.novak

11

#2532 J13

J13

    60% of the time, every time.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,818 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Joined: 03/08/2009
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5665

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:57 PM

haha they are dirt cheap so it should make for a perfect experiment.  Good luck with it :victory:
Ping G400 LST 8.5* / Mitsu Kuro Kage Dual Core XT 70TX
Callaway Rogue SZ 15* w/ Veylix Rome 888 X
Taylormade UDI 2 iron (UST Proforce V2)
Srixon 745's 4-PW (Modus Tour 120 TX)
Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 Modus3 125 wedge shaft
Odyssey White Hot Versa #6
Srixon Zstar XV


GolfWrx WITB Podcast: http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

12



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors