Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

TaylorMade serial numbers and fakes....

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 mookie

mookie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33717
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:18 PM

Can anyone help me to better understand how the serial number thing works?

A lot of people say that the serial number (or lack of one) is a good way of telling if a club or set is fake. But having a serial number doesn't necessarily guarantee a club's authenticity, though, right???

So, say I go to the TM website and input the serial number that I find on my driver. If the serial number was "doctored" and the club is a fake, what happens when I try to register? Does it say "thank you for registering"? or will a message pop up that says that "you've been screwed!" or something like that???

I've always wondered about this....

Thank you.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Maharishi

Maharishi

Taylor Made 4 Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23009
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:53 PM

Surely its much easier to buy from a reliable source rather than take the risk of buying a fake, doing things this way ensures you will NOT get conned by a scum bag seller on eBay.

Makes sense in my mind :beruo:

#3 mookie

mookie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33717

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:14 PM

Thank you SO much for your reply and concern.  :beruo:

But my question is in regards to TaylorMade's club registration system. If I have a serial number that is fake, will the registration system notify me as to whether the serial number is an authentic one?

#4 LONG&STR8

LONG&STR8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28371
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:30 PM

I've read that the people at Taylormade will tell you that even if your serial number matches you can still have a counterfeit because they (counterfeiters) will go to shops and get real numbers then put them on the counterfeits. I don't think Taylormade does NO serial numbers even for their tour equipment like Titleist but Titleist isn't counterfeited as much as TM. If a TM club is a tour club the serial starts with a T and has a capital B etched into it. The only real way of knowing is to take the club apart to look for the inverted cone but, of course, that would mean your club would no longer be one piece.

#5 dmitry

dmitry

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35686

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:35 PM

When I bought some Taylormade irons, I called Taylormade, and the guy told me my serial number was not in his database.  However, when I went to the website the registration went through normally.  

Taylormade told me that the serial number was no guarantee of authenticity anyway, and that the only real way to tell would be for me to send them my clubs for inspection.

I really don't think the registration will tell you either way unless there are too many numbers or something else obvious.  Just my opinion though. You would have to ask taylormade to really know how the registration process works.

#6 seis

seis

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15608
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:04 PM

I bought a Taylormaderiver head on E Bay and when I was told it was a knock off was fortunate enough to get my $$$ back.  By TM woods from a retailer or pro shop and avoid the angst!

#7 heybrady

heybrady

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32603
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

You should be able to call in the serial and they can tell you model and loft.   If those match up, then they could still be fake, but a good fake.  Most likely TM says it is a 10.5 and the seller says it is 9.5, etc.    Definitely call though, not just go online.

#8 akavana

akavana

Amature Hack Professional Practicer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84820
  • Ebay ID:cranesportsonline

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

Yeah, I called about mine to be certain and the checked out...

#9 caseyc1

caseyc1

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106961
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

http://www.taylormad...l?IsPopUp=0#505
read the very bottom of this page, it says if you do ship us your club we cannot guarantee you that we can send it back to you!Posted Image Why would you want to send a club to them if there is a chance you are not going to get it back, thats stupid

#10 J Gilbert

J Gilbert

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85693
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:37 PM

TM definitely has a screwy serial number system.  I bought a 1st Ed. Superquad TP a little over a year ago and had a weight come loose in the head. Because of this, there was a horrible rattle so I had my pro call them about it.  The claimed my driver must be a fake because they didn't have the serial number in their system, but said to send it in anyway.  The club was sent back to them roughly 5 weeks ago and I was finally contacted this past Wednesday and was told they'll be sending me a replacement club because mine turned out to be real.  You would think they'd keep the serial number system in better order than this, as it shouldn't have taken 5 weeks to figure out whether or not a club was real or fake.  I am happy that they'll be sending me another club, they're looking for Superquad heads (hopefully they'll only find a 282) and if that doesn't pan out, I'll probably be recieving a Supertri TP.  I'm just frustrated with the system at this point, hopefully this doesn't end up happening to any of you

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 caseyc1

caseyc1

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

that sucks sorry it took so long but you really think they will update you to a Supertri TP? Thats a hell of a upgrade and you would think they would be losing some coin if they did that

#12 J Gilbert

J Gilbert

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85693
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

They should, and frankly I'll be a little upset if they don't, as the 1st Edition All Black Superquad sold for something like $800 brand new back in the day.  They only made a couple thousand of them, hence the high price, so I'm expecting something top of the line in return since they're replacing my expensive, somewhat rare driver

#13 electroleum

electroleum

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22105
  • Ebay ID:electroleum
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:00 AM

Ping definitely leads the pack when it comes to serial #'s and tracking. I've never been able to comprehend how TM can keep track of all their serials, especially being the biggest volume clubmaker out of the bunch.
Nike Covert Tour w/Kuro Kage 60 X
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3H w/Fujikura Fuel X
Callaway X Forged 3-PW w/CTaper X
Titleisy Vokey Spin Milled 56* & 64*
TM Daddy Long Legs 38"

#14 NCGolfDude

NCGolfDude

NCGolfDude

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119238
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:53 AM

i said i'd get back to you asap, also, about the pings...for tonight i'm gonna hold off even tho i want to grab them- i better think about it--- good luck with selling and thanks

#15 TMBob

TMBob

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,804 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21998
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

View PostJ Gilbert, on 29 May 2010 - 02:26 PM, said:

They should, and frankly I'll be a little upset if they don't, as the 1st Edition All Black Superquad sold for something like $800 brand new back in the day.  They only made a couple thousand of them, hence the high price, so I'm expecting something top of the line in return since they're replacing my expensive, somewhat rare driver

Sorry J Gilbert, but really this is how you feel about TM and your 1st Ed Superquad? Sure, the serial number issue I can understand some, But......

Let's get serious here,

Your Head was released in 2007 correct? So this means it is 4 years old and your complaining about their service on replacing a 4 year old head? Really? And your still complaining after they are going to replace it for free! Really?

Sorry, but your so called "$800 limited, only made a couple of thousand and rare" comments just floor me. Know what you are talking about before you get upset at TM and post this type of stuff on this site. That driver can be had new for $250 of even much lower. Used can be had for $150 or less. Who care what you paid for it 4 years ago, plus come on.......you paid $800 for it? LOL If you did pay this amount, shame on you.

Name any other type of goods that you bought and it is replaced for "free" after a 4 years time frame.....Let's see, Clothing? No Car? No,
Food? No, TV? No, Cell Phone? No, PC, No.......Oh, but you can tell us all what TM "should" be doing for you to keep you happy.

It's rare that I make comments like these, but I would feel lucky to have a 4 year old item replaced for free and would be singing praise about the people who took care of me wether or not it was 2 weeks or 6 weeks or even longer for that matter.

#16 caseyc1

caseyc1

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

View PostTMBob, on 30 January 2011 - 07:49 AM, said:

View PostJ Gilbert, on 29 May 2010 - 02:26 PM, said:

Sorry J Gilbert, but really this is how you feel about TM and your 1st Ed Superquad? Sure, the serial number issue I can understand some, But......

Let's get serious here,

Your Head was released in 2007 correct? So this means it is 4 years old and your complaining about their service on replacing a 4 year old head? Really? And your still complaining after they are going to replace it for free! Really?

Sorry, but your so called "$800 limited, only made a couple of thousand and rare" comments just floor me. Know what you are talking about before you get upset at TM and post this type of stuff on this site. That driver can be had new for $250 of even much lower. Used can be had for $150 or less. Who care what you paid for it 4 years ago, plus come on.......you paid $800 for it? LOL If you did pay this amount, shame on you.

Name any other type of goods that you bought and it is replaced for "free" after a 4 years time frame.....Let's see, Clothing? No Car? No,
Food? No, TV? No, Cell Phone? No, PC, No.......Oh, but you can tell us all what TM "should" be doing for you to keep you happy.

It's rare that I make comments like these, but I would feel lucky to have a 4 year old item replaced for free and would be singing praise about the people who took care of me wether or not it was 2 weeks or 6 weeks or even longer for that matter.

I agree 100%, somebody brought this back from the dead lol, it was from may 2010

#17 Pudgelewis

Pudgelewis

<><

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83757
  • Ebay ID:Pudgelewis
GolfWRX Likes : 174

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

Since it was brought back from the dead (a couple different times it appears) I'll tell you my story that's similar.  I sold my buddy a TM CGB Max Limited driver (one with 3 interchangeable shafts) that I had purchased on eBay.  He was really pleased with it but one of the screws broke off in the head and he couldn't get the broken piece out of the port so he figured he'd call TM up just to see if they'd help.  To both of our surprises they went way above our expectations.  Obviously they said they didn't have any CGB heads left but they sent him a brand new SuperTri TP w/ headcover AND 3 TP shafts (X-CON, Motore F1, and VooDoo).  They didn't even make him send the head in first and let him keep the CGB hc, weight kit, and 3 shafts.  My point is, although it sounds unlikely that they'd replace a SuperQuad that's that old there's certainly no harm in asking them.

EDIT: And an FYI to anyone who may end up reading this thread looking for TM serial # advice:  TM won't check serial #'s on the phone for you anymore. I'd recommend taking it to a local shop that has a TM account and asking them to call it in.

Edited by Pudgelewis, 30 January 2011 - 08:02 PM.

#18 markheardjr

markheardjr

Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141
  • Handicap:3.8
  • Ebay ID:tourguyd
GolfWRX Likes : 341

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

View PostPudgelewis, on 30 January 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

Since it was brought back from the dead (a couple different times it appears) I'll tell you my story that's similar.  I sold my buddy a TM CGB Max Limited driver (one with 3 interchangeable shafts) that I had purchased on eBay.  He was really pleased with it but one of the screws broke off in the head and he couldn't get the broken piece out of the port so he figured he'd call TM up just to see if they'd help.  To both of our surprises they went way above our expectations.  Obviously they said they didn't have any CGB heads left but they sent him a brand new SuperTri TP w/ headcover AND 3 TP shafts (X-CON, Motore F1, and VooDoo).  They didn't even make him send the head in first and let him keep the CGB hc, weight kit, and 3 shafts.  My point is, although it sounds unlikely that they'd replace a SuperQuad that's that old there's certainly no harm in asking them.

EDIT: And an FYI to anyone who may end up reading this thread looking for TM serial # advice:  TM won't check serial #'s on the phone for you anymore. I'd recommend taking it to a local shop that has a TM account and asking them to call it in.

PR is everything. How many guys is your buddy gonna golf with and he'll tell them this story. Then those guys that hear it are up for a driver refresh and TM has a leg up. I know for fact that TM dumps most of their retail offerings soon after they move to a new product line. I have a friend that runs a business of buying this surplus and selling it off for them. I could get you a brand new CGB Max head and any of the 3 shafts, plus extra tips. TM unloaded all of them to my buddy. They will be more than happy, most of the time, to give a free upgrade. They know word of mouth is a good thing. Just call, tell them the situation, be friendly.
'07 Burner TP 8.5 w/ RUL60x
'08 Burner 14.5/17.5 w/ p9003x
Vsteel 7W 21 w/ Oban Devotion 75x
Cleveland 588MB w/ Modus 130 Proto
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 48/52/56
Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach

#19 The Bretski

The Bretski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162135
  • Ebay ID:thebretski

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Just called Taylormade to verify the serial number for my Rocketballz Tour TS 13* 3 Wood Stiff Flex ... I gave the guy the serial number and he told me exactly what I had (kinda cool), but he also said what was mentioned earlier in this post, that counterfitters are getting smarter and going into golf shops and obtaining numbers to duplicate. I guess it is what it is, so now I'm going to go hit the hell out of it and if I don't do very well, I'll blame the counterfitters ; )

#20 The Bretski

The Bretski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162135
  • Ebay ID:thebretski

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

P.S. - Taylormade 1-866-530-8624

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 hattrick3518

hattrick3518

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23222
  • Ebay ID:hockeyboy5253
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Just got off the phone with TM, tried to confirm a tour issue club, all he could confirm was that it was indeed tour issued, came off one of their tour vans, but he could not disclose any other information due to the fact that it's tour issue. I thought this was kind of odd, anyone else have a similar experience? The club in question was purchased here and was confirmed to be tour issued, but just a little odd that he couldn't tell me what model, loft, etc... it was.

#22 Pudgelewis

Pudgelewis

<><

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83757
  • Ebay ID:Pudgelewis
GolfWRX Likes : 174

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

View Posthattrick3518, on 24 May 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

Just got off the phone with TM, tried to confirm a tour issue club, all he could confirm was that it was indeed tour issued, came off one of their tour vans, but he could not disclose any other information due to the fact that it's tour issue. I thought this was kind of odd, anyone else have a similar experience? The club in question was purchased here and was confirmed to be tour issued, but just a little odd that he couldn't tell me what model, loft, etc... it was.

I wouldn't expect the guy at the customer service center to be able to tell you anything about a tour issue club.  Half-surprised be could even tell you it was tour issued.

#23 hattrick3518

hattrick3518

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23222
  • Ebay ID:hockeyboy5253
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostPudgelewis, on 24 May 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

View Posthattrick3518, on 24 May 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

I wouldn't expect the guy at the customer service center to be able to tell you anything about a tour issue club.  Half-surprised be could even tell you it was tour issued.

Guess that much is true, at least it's confirmed. Never had a doubt, just had heard good things about TM customer service and figured I'd give them a chance.

#24 srockafe

srockafe

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34931

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

I saw the TM number posted, and recently had a pocket of my adidas golf bag tear at the seams.  On a whim I asked if they could check to see if the serial number of my r11 3-wood was in their system.  He double and triple checked, but couldn't find it.  Can't really believe it.  The shaft it came with had an RBZ sleeve with it that seemed a bit more difficult to get tightened up, but it was my first FCT club so I had no clue.
Adams 9015D - Redboard 63
Titleist 910F2 - 'ilima 70
Adams Idea Pro Black - 18* - Altus
Titleist 712U 3, Titleist 714 CB/MB 4-PW
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport 2
Vokey SM5 54/60

#25 davidribeiro

davidribeiro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 158803

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Can anybody shed some light on the Taylormade Speedblade irons i just received from an ebay seller - they have project X flighted 95 shafts in them and the serial #'s are not consistant thru out the set - every # is differant - Please help thanks

#26 hansmoleman

hansmoleman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296795
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

View Postdavidribeiro, on 28 February 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

Can anybody shed some light on the Taylormade Speedblade irons i just received from an ebay seller - they have project X flighted 95 shafts in them and the serial #'s are not consistant thru out the set - every # is differant - Please help thanks

That's typical of TM, as far as I know. I bought my Rocketbladez Tour irons from Dick's, and the serial numbers were different throughout. If you go to the website, they'll tell you that the serial number that counts is the 7 iron (5 in older TM sets). I am pretty sure that their system matches up all the other serial numbers with that one in their DB. Not sure why they would do it that way, but they do.
TaylorMade R1 10.5U
TaylorMade V Steel 15
TaylorMade Rocketbladez Tour 3-PW
Ping ISI BeCu SW 52
Lynx CM-4 Copper Mill by Kirk Currie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors