Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

(Football) Soccer thread (English Premier League, Champions League)


741 replies to this topic

#31 apple_crumble

apple_crumble

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334273
  • Joined: 08/16/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:03 PM

Chelsea played awesome, Man Utd needs time to gel, good to hear Blind is coming, and in 2 weeks time for their next game, Shaw, Rojo, Blind, Di Maria and the other signings might all be well/fit enough to play together.

Di Maria showed his quality today, only Van Persie was able to receive his passes, everyone else sucked.

4-3-3 is preferred.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 mtgrizinmn

mtgrizinmn

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133781
  • Joined: 07/21/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

As an Arsenal fan, I am very concerned with the lack of a striker. Sanogo just doesn't do it for me and I keep asking where is Podolski?

Chelsea scared me yesterday and Liverpool looked good this morning.

2

#33 gr00vetech

gr00vetech

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118989
  • Joined: 12/16/2010
  • Location:In the Bagroom, FL
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

Wenger is his own worst enemy at this point. Needs a Striker just like he has since RVP left.

Nice for me to see Liverpool find their game this morning and show no hangover effects of the disappointing night at Man City. When Balotelli get up to full match fitness he will be a big plus for us. Sturridge looked much more dangerous up front with him on the pitch as well instead of stranded like Mon night.

Chelsea Everton will be one of the matches of the year!!!

3

#34 mnplayer

mnplayer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116161
  • Joined: 10/14/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

I don't know if there's a more stubborn manager than Wenger in the world right now. Arsenal need a true defensive midfielder and a top class striker badly. Apparently they put in a bid for Remy at the last minute, but my question is why are you waiting until the last minute? Even with Giroud fit they needed another striker.

I'm really happy with what Mourinho has done with the squad. Costa and Fabregas have been brilliant and we have great depth now across the entire pitch. Remy signing is important too. He won't start tons of games but he's a great player and is more reliable than Torres and who knows what we're getting with Drogba at this point in his career. Balotelli looked really good today as well. Seems like Rodgers is going to get the best out of him.

4

#35 mtgrizinmn

mtgrizinmn

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133781
  • Joined: 07/21/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

I agree, Wegner seems to want to doom himself. There are just a few holes, but glaring holes, that need to be filled and Wegner won't pull the trigger.


5

#36 Arpeggi

Arpeggi

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140543
  • Joined: 09/30/2011
  • Ebay ID:android46and2
GolfWRX Likes : 1127

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:12 AM

Chelsea fan here! What a game vs Everton.

Man united about to sign Radamel falcao...
Current bag:
Titleist 917D2 10.5

Titleist 917F2 16.5

Titleist 816H 21
Epon AF-705 5-PW
Vokey SM6 50F, 54M, 60K

Cameron Newport Oil Can
ProV1

6

#37 apple_crumble

apple_crumble

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334273
  • Joined: 08/16/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:49 AM

And they have!  Finally, looks a bit more decent this team.  Blind and Falcao signed.  

But still it needs 2 strong CB and an extra winger I believe, as backup.

Man Utd better score a goal against QPR in 2 weeks time.  Hopefully Rojo, Blind, Shaw, Di Maria and Falcao will play together.  Herrera most likely won't play.

6th place could be a possibility this season.

7

#38 apple_crumble

apple_crumble

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334273
  • Joined: 08/16/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:54 AM

View Postmnplayer, on 31 August 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

I don't know if there's a more stubborn manager than Wenger in the world right now. Arsenal need a true defensive midfielder and a top class striker badly. Apparently they put in a bid for Remy at the last minute, but my question is why are you waiting until the last minute? Even with Giroud fit they needed another striker.

I'm really happy with what Mourinho has done with the squad. Costa and Fabregas have been brilliant and we have great depth now across the entire pitch. Remy signing is important too. He won't start tons of games but he's a great player and is more reliable than Torres and who knows what we're getting with Drogba at this point in his career. Balotelli looked really good today as well. Seems like Rodgers is going to get the best out of him.

Arsenal should have put in more effort and money to sign players, since they offer CL football it should be a lot easier.  They need someone established from the German League.

8

#39 apple_crumble

apple_crumble

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334273
  • Joined: 08/16/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:57 AM

I have a weird vibe that Barcelona or Real Madrid will fork out a crazy sum for Costa next season.

9

#40 JWells

JWells

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177370
  • Joined: 04/25/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 301

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

Damn international break this week, no matches this weekend. Hope no injuries !


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 mnplayer

mnplayer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116161
  • Joined: 10/14/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

View Postapple_crumble, on 02 September 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

I have a weird vibe that Barcelona or Real Madrid will fork out a crazy sum for Costa next season.

Jose won't sell, Chelsea aren't Arsenal. I could see Madrid being interested but Barca have no need for him.

Edited by mnplayer, 02 September 2014 - 12:19 PM.


11

#42 shanx

shanx

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 867
  • Joined: 05/25/2005
  • Location:New Yak
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:26 PM

Everton fan here, can't wait 'til Tim Howard wakes up from his WC hangover!

Also great to see Leicester City back up, used to follow them when Casey Keller was minding nets there...

I'm in the US, play every weekend, usually follow whover has the American in goal...

12

#43 TheGameChanger

TheGameChanger

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 269502
  • Joined: 08/09/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

My Manchester United Team
Best 11

======De Gea=====
Rafael=Jones=Rojo==Shaw
=======Blind===
Valencia=========Dimaria
=======Mata======
==Rooney===Falcao

13

#44 Emthree

Emthree

    M3+3 now

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139262
  • Joined: 09/15/2011
  • Location:Surrey, England
  • Handicap:+1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 520

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

View Postapple_crumble, on 02 September 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

I have a weird vibe that Barcelona or Real Madrid will fork out a crazy sum for Costa next season.

I don't think he would replace any of the front men in either team. El Clasico this season will be a game to watch, its in the realms of Football Manager/FIFA team wise.

I facepalmed when Arsenal dug around the bottom of the barrel for Welbeck, then did it again when i realised he's very likely an upgrade from Giroud.
910D3 8.5*  PX 8A4 7.0
910F 17* PX 8A4 7.0
AP2 (714) 3-PW PX 7.0
Cleveland 588 Forged 50*/54*/60* PX 5.5
SC Newport2 Pro Platinum

14

#45 Golfingfanatic

Golfingfanatic

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208029
  • Joined: 10/21/2012
  • Location:Switzerland
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 697

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:57 PM

View Postapple_crumble, on 02 September 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

I have a weird vibe that Barcelona or Real Madrid will fork out a crazy sum for Costa next season.

Costa doesn't fit in the tiki-taka system at all imo. Just look at the world Cup with spain. He's a great striker but not the type of player Barcelona needs.

A-Grind Classic 10.5° Attas Coool
TI Taylormade M1 T3 13.5° GD AD-DI 9X
PXG 0311X 1 Iron Accra Tour 100i
PXG 0317 19° Accra FX300H X-Flex   
Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-Pw Oban CT-115 X-
Cobra King Pür Raw 54° Versatile Grind, 60° WideLow Grind DG S200
Ping Anser 2 TR1966

15

#46 gr00vetech

gr00vetech

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118989
  • Joined: 12/16/2010
  • Location:In the Bagroom, FL
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

View PostTheGameChanger, on 02 September 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

My Manchester United Team
Best 11

======De Gea=====
Rafael=Jones=Rojo==Shaw
=======Blind===
Valencia=========Dimaria
=======Mata======
==Rooney===Falcao

No denying the fear they can put into people going forward but nowhere near enough steal in that squad to keep goals out of the net. Just going to get run over in midfield and have to play on the counter all the time. Lots of 3-2 wins will be needed. Rooney, RVP, Falcao, Mata, and Di Maria have to all be on the pitch or else there will be some dressing room issues.

16

#47 mnplayer

mnplayer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116161
  • Joined: 10/14/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:35 AM

I see Mata leaving in January or the summer. I think he's the odd man out of those 5. Rooney can't be dropped, at least one of RVP/Falcao will start, and I don't see Di Maria as a wingback working out. I don't think Mata is needed with Di Maria in the squad, this is how I see them lining up with everyone fit(assuming Van Gaal drops the 352). I think it'll be similar to what PSG played two years ago, 442/4222.

De Gea

Rafael     Jones         Rojo   Shaw

           Herrera           Blind  

          Di Maria                             Valencia

             Rooney    Falcao



17

#48 RedDevilWheezy

RedDevilWheezy

    #InsideTMag 2013

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201705
  • Joined: 09/05/2012
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Handicap:13.2
GolfWRX Likes : 175

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

Longtime United supporter, but watch as many games in all European leagues as I can.  Anybody else hate the early International break?  Drives me insane.
TM SLDR 10.5* Speeder VC 6.0
TM SLDR TP 15* Speeder 7.3
TM SLDR Rescue 19* Speeder 8.3
TM SpeedBlades 4-LW KBS Tour 90
TM Ghost Tour Daytona 12
#InsideTMag

18

#49 theclubsfault

theclubsfault

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 313277
  • Joined: 05/05/2014
  • Location:Arizona
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

Man U is a mess. I really don't understand what they are doing. They had Rooney, RVP and Welbeck to back them up. Now they drop welbeck and add falcao who is potentially going to cause a bunch of drama up front. Didn't Rooney just get done having a fit last season? Also, RVP is a boss, don't need to make him angry.

Don't even get me started on the defense. Really don't understand that. LOL My guess is Blind might end up playing some left back or LWB. He looked really good going forward from there during the World Cup.

All that said I wish the hammers had United's first world problems.

19

#50 TheGameChanger

TheGameChanger

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 269502
  • Joined: 08/09/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:18 PM

I Just wished United got Hummels. Would've been a perfect window.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 Arpeggi

Arpeggi

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140543
  • Joined: 09/30/2011
  • Ebay ID:android46and2
GolfWRX Likes : 1127

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

View PostRedDevilWheezy, on 04 September 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

Longtime United supporter, but watch as many games in all European leagues as I can.  Anybody else hate the early International break?  Drives me insane.

I hate all international breaks.
Current bag:
Titleist 917D2 10.5

Titleist 917F2 16.5

Titleist 816H 21
Epon AF-705 5-PW
Vokey SM6 50F, 54M, 60K

Cameron Newport Oil Can
ProV1

21

#52 Arpeggi

Arpeggi

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140543
  • Joined: 09/30/2011
  • Ebay ID:android46and2
GolfWRX Likes : 1127

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

Costa injured. Withdrew from Spain squad. I hate international breaks!!!!
Current bag:
Titleist 917D2 10.5

Titleist 917F2 16.5

Titleist 816H 21
Epon AF-705 5-PW
Vokey SM6 50F, 54M, 60K

Cameron Newport Oil Can
ProV1

22

#53 mac94

mac94

    Hall of Fame

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25038
  • Joined: 02/04/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 463

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

Go Chelsea!

23

#54 apple_crumble

apple_crumble

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334273
  • Joined: 08/16/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:55 AM

I hate international breaks, and how Plantini said it is part of their fifa statue that players are not allowed to sit out on those duties, what a load of crap.  

Di Maria, Blind, Rojo, and Falcao better not get injured.  I think some players should just fake their injuries with club doctors helping them.
Look at Costa, fantastic player, get's injured for Spain.  Hope he recovers quick.

Also, I want Man United to buy 2 new defenders (CB preferred) in Jan. For some who say they should sell Mata, I say no, keep him in case Di Maria gets injured.

24

#55 scruffynick

scruffynick

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 317681
  • Joined: 05/28/2014
  • Location:manchester, UK
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 587

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

I think my picture gives it away, I'm in the middle of it ha ha. Only live 15 minutes walk from old Trafford, so United is in the blood. Been a season ticket holder (Stretford ender) since about '84......Been spoilt since 91 but last season was a reality check but I'm confident United will be bounce back. However, the fergie dominance will never happen again


25

#56 JWells

JWells

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177370
  • Joined: 04/25/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 301

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

View Postscruffynick, on 10 September 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

I think my picture gives it away, I'm in the middle of it ha ha. Only live 15 minutes walk from old Trafford, so United is in the blood. Been a season ticket holder (Stretford ender) since about '84......Been spoilt since 91 but last season was a reality check but I'm confident United will be bounce back. However, the fergie dominance will never happen again

Damn I envy you for football watching, but feel bad for your golf weather haha :)

26

#57 scruffynick

scruffynick

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 317681
  • Joined: 05/28/2014
  • Location:manchester, UK
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 587

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostJWells, on 10 September 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

View Postscruffynick, on 10 September 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

I think my picture gives it away, I'm in the middle of it ha ha. Only live 15 minutes walk from old Trafford, so United is in the blood. Been a season ticket holder (Stretford ender) since about '84......Been spoilt since 91 but last season was a reality check but I'm confident United will be bounce back. However, the fergie dominance will never happen again

Damn I envy you for football watching, but feel bad for your golf weather haha :)

Been a cracking summer to be fair, Sept has been great and the Ryder cup shoukd be on now as in 2 weeks in Scotland it will be cold and wet. But my kids do more damage to golf than United......and the wife but at least she supports United too ha ha

27

#58 bafana87

bafana87

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129015
  • Joined: 05/18/2011
  • Ebay ID:fleem75
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

View Postapple_crumble, on 09 September 2014 - 12:55 AM, said:

I hate international breaks, and how Plantini said it is part of their fifa statue that players are not allowed to sit out on those duties, what a load of crap.  

Di Maria, Blind, Rojo, and Falcao better not get injured.  I think some players should just fake their injuries with club doctors helping them.
Look at Costa, fantastic player, get's injured for Spain.  Hope he recovers quick.

Also, I want Man United to buy 2 new defenders (CB preferred) in Jan. For some who say they should sell Mata, I say no, keep him in case Di Maria gets injured.

International breaks are so awful. I was born in South Africa, now living in North Carolina, so taking interest in the international game outside of the WC is tough for me. The Euros are Gold Cup are okay, I suppose/

Newcastle fan since I was about 5 or 6 years old, 26 now. Dad is a Liverpool fan, I changed sides when I saw NUFC knock them off on a random Saturday in the early 90s.

28

#59 apple_crumble

apple_crumble

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334273
  • Joined: 08/16/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:43 PM

View Postscruffynick, on 10 September 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

I think my picture gives it away, I'm in the middle of it ha ha. Only live 15 minutes walk from old Trafford, so United is in the blood. Been a season ticket holder (Stretford ender) since about '84......Been spoilt since 91 but last season was a reality check but I'm confident United will be bounce back. However, the fergie dominance will never happen again

You're so lucky!  I think the gaal-lacticos will last a few years before another great comes along.  

View Postbafana87, on 11 September 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

View Postapple_crumble, on 09 September 2014 - 12:55 AM, said:

I hate international breaks, and how Plantini said it is part of their fifa statue that players are not allowed to sit out on those duties, what a load of crap.  

Di Maria, Blind, Rojo, and Falcao better not get injured.  I think some players should just fake their injuries with club doctors helping them.
Look at Costa, fantastic player, get's injured for Spain.  Hope he recovers quick.

Also, I want Man United to buy 2 new defenders (CB preferred) in Jan. For some who say they should sell Mata, I say no, keep him in case Di Maria gets injured.

International breaks are so awful. I was born in South Africa, now living in North Carolina, so taking interest in the international game outside of the WC is tough for me. The Euros are Gold Cup are okay, I suppose/

Newcastle fan since I was about 5 or 6 years old, 26 now. Dad is a Liverpool fan, I changed sides when I saw NUFC knock them off on a random Saturday in the early 90s.

They are awful indeed!  They cause injuries and they don't compensate the clubs.

29

#60 apple_crumble

apple_crumble

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334273
  • Joined: 08/16/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:44 PM

Chelsea is really unstoppable right now.  The Arsenal - City game was awesome.  I hope Man Utd do well tomorrow!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


    robleighlefty89

GolfWRX Sponsors