Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

67ViP WITB

66 replies to this topic

#61 67VIP

67VIP

67VIP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43777
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

My club has gone to their winter cut on the greens and combined with the onslaught of winter rainy season...they are a tad ssslllooowww.  I love the new Wilson Staff 8802, but it's just not heavy enough for greens of this nature, so rummaging thru all my spare clubs I forgot I had two of Bobby Grace's Fat Lady Swings he built for MacGregor in 2006. One has the standard copper weights and one has the heavy tungsten set and is about 3/4 of an inch longer.  I tried the lighter one first and although perfectly balanced, it was no different than my 8802.  I'll try the heavy one Thu/Fri during my next two rounds and hopefully that will be sufficient for the current playing conditions.  Tried the Taylormade project (a) ball as well on my last two rounds and didn't care for it...nowhere near as stable as the 2016 TPx, nor as long.  I wish golfpride had the red cord dancing Scotty Cameron grip as part of their standard catalogue...seems it's a proprietary grip for Scotty.  I love that grip and use it on all my putters, just use a red marker to color in the letters :)

Attached Thumbnails

• fat_lady_swings_2006.jpg

Taylormade Aeroburner TP+ 10.5 / Aldila Tour Red 70
Exotics EX9 Fairway 15.0 / Matrix Red Tie 65x4
Exotics EX9 Hybrid 17 / Mamiya Recoil 670
Cobra Fly Z+ Forged 3-PW / KBS Tour V

Titleist Vokey SM6 5008F / 5808M / Dyn Gold

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3
Taylormade TP5x
Cobra Masters Edition Staff Bag
The Home Course, Dupont, Washington

Chambers 15th - Copy.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 DE-ILLINI

DE-ILLINI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181280
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:24 PM

Great bag.  I really like the headcovers and logo balls.  I have my own collection of balls and have been starting to acquire headcovers.

Edited by DE-ILLINI, 01 August 2017 - 10:00 PM.

#63 67VIP

67VIP

67VIP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:57 PM

View PostDE-ILLINI, on 31 October 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

Great bag.  I really like the headcovers and logo balls.  I have my own collection of balks and have been starting to acquire headcovers.

Thanks, I was flabbergasted when it appeared online at $175...just couldn't justify buying it at the original $400, even when I was drunk and ogling it for the first time two years ago.
I started elephant hunting golf courses 9 years ago and have bagged quite a few top 100 courses here in the US & the UK, along with best in state in WA and FL.  I usually always buy at
least a yardage book and logo ball, more if I really like the course.  It always tickles me when the dude at the counter says "we have gps"...no s***, but you completely miss the point.
Good yardage books have overhead photos of the holes with driving and approach arcs, etc,etc...plus when you forget what the course looks like you have a souvenir reminder.

Taylormade TP5x

Chambers 15th - Copy.jpg

#64 67VIP

67VIP

67VIP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:33 PM

View Post67VIP, on 31 October 2016 - 07:48 PM, said:

My club has gone to their winter cut on the greens and combined with the onslaught of winter rainy season...they are a tad ssslllooowww.  I love the new Wilson Staff 8802, but it's just not heavy enough for greens of this nature, so rummaging thru all my spare clubs I forgot I had two of Bobby Grace's Fat Lady Swings he built for MacGregor in 2006. One has the standard copper weights and one has the heavy tungsten set and is about 3/4 of an inch longer.  I tried the lighter one first and although perfectly balanced, it was no different than my 8802.  I'll try the heavy one Thu/Fri during my next two rounds and hopefully that will be sufficient for the current playing conditions.  Tried the Taylormade project (a) ball as well on my last two rounds and didn't care for it...nowhere near as stable as the 2016 TPx, nor as long.  I wish golfpride had the red cord dancing Scotty Cameron grip as part of their standard catalogue...seems it's a proprietary grip for Scotty.  I love that grip and use it on all my putters, just use a red marker to color in the letters :)

Fat Lady showing a lot of love on the greens...TPC Snoqualmie Ridge, The Home Course, and Chambers Bay all in one week.  Shot 82 on TPC...could of been lower if I hadn't lost two balls off the tee, 79 at THC, and a startling 78 at Chambers--usually don't putt worth a damn there.

Taylormade TP5x

Chambers 15th - Copy.jpg

#65 67VIP

67VIP

67VIP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

Picked up a Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 last week. Tried it with the stock grip for a few rounds and had problems with distance control... absolutely no feel. Ripped off the stock and put on a red cord dancing Cameron from the Studio Select series a few years ago with three wraps of tape...much, much better. Also swapped drivers; went back to a black Aeroburner with Fuji Speeder57...the neutral face seems to suit my current swing speed much better than the 3* open face of the tour issue version I was using. Straight & long, especially with TP5x.

Taylormade TP5x

Chambers 15th - Copy.jpg

#66 67VIP

67VIP

67VIP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

View Post67VIP, on 28 July 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

Picked up a Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 last week. Tried it with the stock grip for a few rounds and had problems with distance control... absolutely no feel. Ripped off the stock and put on a red cord dancing Cameron from the Studio Select series a few years ago with three wraps of tape...much, much better. Also swapped drivers; went back to a black Aeroburner with Fuji Speeder57...the neutral face seems to suit my current swing speed much better than the 3* open face of the tour issue version I was using. Straight & long, especially with TP5x.
I also had the Scotty bent two degrees upright on Sunday. Went out on Monday with a sleeve of TP5 balls and shot a very easy 73...lowest round in eight months. Putter suits my eye to a tee now, putts rolling exactly as I expect. I also like the TP5 ball, a touch softer and seems to be a better fit for my current swing speed. Straighter flight with no loss of distance...probably getting better ball compression off the club face. TP5 is an 80 vs TP5x 87, both five piece and performance around the green is the same.

Taylormade TP5x

Chambers 15th - Copy.jpg

#67 67VIP

67VIP

67VIP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

Have finally scratched an itch I've had for almost 35 years...bagging a set of MacGregor JNP irons. These are the last set Jack played prior to leaving Mac and establishing his own club company. He would win several senior majors and finish in the top 10 two years running at The Masters. But the highlight for these had to be the severe thrashing inflicted on Lee Trevino at the Senior Players Championship in 1991, shooting 28 under par and whipping Lee by 7 strokes...Lee remarked afterwards that if you'd told him he'd shoot 21 under par and lose, he'd have bet a million dollars on it. The quality of these forgings is amazing.

Attached Thumbnails

• a62c4a9f30a6474b9e05ccb12ccd938f--macgregor-golf-jack-nicklaus.jpg

Edited by 67VIP, 07 October 2017 - 05:17 PM.

Taylormade TP5x

Chambers 15th - Copy.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users