Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

removing cork and lead powder from a shaft

30 replies to this topic

#1 MarkRimell

MarkRimell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47369
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

is there an easy way of doing this so I don't have to remove the shaft?.....

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ronsc1985

ronsc1985

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102136
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

There exist 48 inch drills with which you can drill out most of the cork and probably all of the powder from the butt end. I don't know if these drills are available in a size that will fit down a typical graphite shaft. The one I had was about .25 inches in diameter and was fine for steel shafts.

#3 Golfrnut

Golfrnut

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132818
GolfWRX Likes : 2305

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

Golfworks sells the 47" bits that will work.  As mentioned above, don't know about graphite, but hopefully no one has powder/corked graphite shafts anyway.

http://www.golfworks...W1045_A_cn_E_21

Between that and the grip access tools, you can remove the powder/cork without removing grips.

http://www.golfworks...sp_Q_pn_E_SAVER
TM Supertri V2 w/ AD DI (Testing a new one that's on probation)
Callaway 3Deep w/ 73 BB or Stage 2 3W w/ 73 BB
Stage 2 3H w/ i80 Steelfiber
Callaway Apex UT 21* w/ i80 Steelfiber
Callaway X Prototype MBs 4-PW w/ Steelfiber AMI 99s
Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind (both X100 8 iron SS)
Odyssey MXM 1W

#4 Strolf

Strolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 318055
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:strubay
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

Letís say I can remove the grip. Do I still need to drill out cork?  Could I put cork in Without epoxy to test weight?

#5 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 8485

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

Places like Lowe's sells 4' sections of steel rod.  Grind a flat point like a screwdriver on one end, drop the rod down the shaft, and then chuck up the other end in your drill motor and chew the cork out.  As far as epoxy on the cork is concerned, I'm doubtful that the epoxy stays on the cork as it goes down toward the bottom of the shaft; most of the epoxy gets scraped off as the cork goes down into the taper.

Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & E8 hybrid
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

#6 Carvallo Golf

Carvallo Golf

Hall of shame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474344
  • Handicap:able
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

Strolf, on 11 January 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

Letís say I can remove the grip. Do I still need to drill out cork?  Could I put cork in Without epoxy to test weight?

I just pour the raw powder down, tap to ensure its all the way down, then carefully measure MOI/SW, adjust if necessary.  Play around with lead tape before you get to the weight matching to see how the MOI reacts to a gram on the hosel.  You can extrapolate how the cork(or anything else you stick down there) will affect the MOI/SW.

Personally, I ignore the cork...it weighs F A.

Edited by Carvallo Golf, 11 January 2018 - 04:58 PM.

Current WITB:
Driver: Taylormade R7 TP 8.5
Fwy Woods: new woods in process for next season
Irons: new set in process for next season
Wedges: Taylormade Tour Issue EF 54&60 deg w/TT DG X100
Putter: Slotline HMI w/Superstroke Slim 3.0
Ball: TP5 (bye bye bridgestone)

#7 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6533

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:19 AM

Does anyone actually still use epoxy on the corks?   Seems pretty pointless to me.

#8 BigBod

BigBod

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483992
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:34 AM

Stuart G., on 12 January 2018 - 05:19 AM, said:

Does anyone actually still use epoxy on the corks?   Seems pretty pointless to me.

No and never have, the cork is such a tight fit you need a ramrod to ram it all the way down to the hosel.

#9 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:16 AM

BigBod, on 12 January 2018 - 06:34 AM, said:

Stuart G., on 12 January 2018 - 05:19 AM, said:

No and never have, the cork is such a tight fit you need a ramrod to ram it all the way down to the hosel.

Agree.

#10 Carvallo Golf

Carvallo Golf

Hall of shame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

I weighed 10 corks, total weight was 1.2g.

Current WITB:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 augustgolf

augustgolf

Golf with dignity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 3490

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

Lighter than popcorn farts
Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

#12 Strolf

Strolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

augustgolf, on 12 January 2018 - 08:34 AM, said:

Lighter than popcorn farts
:taunt:

I'm really struggeling with this one...I can't seem to nail a swingweight down perfectly and am always over.  When I add a weight to the hosel to get an idea of how much tungsten to add, and then test it out (I put grip and lead weight of grip tape on SW scale) The SW always comes up heavier when finished, and lighter before the grip goes on?

#13 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

If the SW changes between just before the grip is added and after, then there are a couple of possibilities.
  • You are using the wrong amount of lead weight for the tape
    • generally 1 layer of tape is about 1/3 of a sw pt so that is about the change you should see when removing that weight and keeping the split grip on.
  • there is a length difference between the split grip install and the actual grip install
    • Is the split grip the exact same grip model you are using?  (does it have the same grip cap size?)
    • it could be the actual grip wasn't installed all the way (sorry just have to be complete)

Edited by Stuart G., 12 January 2018 - 01:38 PM.

#14 Strolf

Strolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:50 PM

Stuart G., on 12 January 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

If the SW changes between just before the grip is added and after, then there are a couple of possibilities.
  • You are using the wrong amount of lead weight for the tape
    • generally 1 layer of tape is about 1/3 of a sw pt so that is about the change you should see when removing that weight and keeping the split grip on.
  • there is a length difference between the split grip install and the actual grip install
    • Is the split grip the exact same grip model you are using?  (does it have the same grip cap size?)
    • it could be the actual grip wasn't installed all the way (sorry just have to be complete)
I thought about that, and started putting the actual grip I was using on the rail just below the shaft on the scale.  The Auditor ProShop scale has a little ledge to place the grip on.  could this be an issue?

Also, how can I get weight back out once the grip is on?  I can't find an efficient way.

#15 Strolf

Strolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:51 PM

Anyone ever use Tungsten Putty for Pinewood Derby Cars as if you were using a tip weight?  Thinking of doing that.  Allows me to have more weight vs. brass, but customize amount easier, and no shaft extension.

#16 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:34 AM

Strolf, on 12 January 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

I thought about that, and started putting the actual grip I was using on the rail just below the shaft on the scale.  The Auditor ProShop scale has a little ledge to place the grip on.  could this be an issue?

Yes.  If the swing weight scale "see's" a different playing length (not accounting for the added length of the grip cap).

Also, how can I get weight back out once the grip is on?  I can't find an efficient way.

There are tools to help work with the tungsten powder and cork though the hole in the grip.  I've never used them though so can't comment on how well they work.

https://www.golfwork...-saver/p/SAVER/

#17 Carvallo Golf

Carvallo Golf

Hall of shame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:18 AM

Stuart G., on 13 January 2018 - 04:34 AM, said:

Yes.  If the swing weight scale "see's" a different playing length (not accounting for the added length of the grip cap).

There are tools to help work with the tungsten powder and cork though the hole in the grip.  I've never used them though so can't comment on how well they work.

https://www.golfwork...-saver/p/SAVER/

The grip saver tool works great.
Current WITB:

#18 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:30 AM

Carvallo Golf, on 13 January 2018 - 06:18 AM, said:

Thanks.  How big is the hole that it opens up to work through?

Edited by Stuart G., 13 January 2018 - 06:30 AM.

#19 Carvallo Golf

Carvallo Golf

Hall of shame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

Stuart G., on 13 January 2018 - 06:30 AM, said:

Carvallo Golf, on 13 January 2018 - 06:18 AM, said:

Thanks.  How big is the hole that it opens up to work through?

Mine measures .360" I.D., it has a black plastic handle and has 2 markings "HUNT WILDE" & "MADE IN USA".  Im not sure where it was sourced, was purchased used from retired club maker.  It will pay for itself the first time you re-weight a set of clubs with grips on.  

I prefer powder over tip weights because of this...you can fine tune at any point, during a new build or modifying existing sets easily....using the grip saver tool.
Current WITB:

#20 augustgolf

augustgolf

Golf with dignity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 3490

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:45 AM

OK...really appreciate all the info that I find in this section of the forum. Having worked on clubs forever (it seems) I can say that I love to continue to learn.

And, maybe this isn't the right place to ask the question....maybe it is.  Here goes:

When adding lead power down the shaft, either during the rebuild/re-weight, or after, I completely understand the concept of getting the swing weight correct.

What I can't seem to get my head around is the fact that where the weight is in the club head end of the actual club affects the performance of said club.

We all know that older clubs (much older) tended to have longer hosels, effectively bringing the sweet spot closer to the heel of the club. By design, shortening the hosel allowed weight to be distributed further out along the club head towards the toe, effectively bringing the sweet spot closer to the center of the face.

With today's ability to manufacture heads with sliding weights, we also know how/where the weights are placed (in metal headed woods, anyway) will effect ball flight, but swing weight stays the same, I assume, since the weight is still the same relative distance from the fulcrum of the scale. I know that when I use lead tape on the backs of irons, its placement will effect trajectory, so I would assume that it would also have some effect on where the optimum position for contact would be.

Doesn't placing a weighting substance, whether it be lead powder or tungsten putty, down the shaft, effectively place the sweet spot closer to the hosel for that particular club?

I appreciate the fact that this action will make all swing weights equal, but it would appear to shift the position of the sweet spot for that particular club relative to others in the set.

For me, and my limited abilities and capacity for feel, I would assume this difference is so minute that it isn't detectable, but then again, I can't tell if there is one extra layer of grip tape under my right hand as opposed to my left.

Maybe it's my OCD....

Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Golfrnut

Golfrnut

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:41 PM

augustgolf, on 13 January 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

OK...really appreciate all the info that I find in this section of the forum. Having worked on clubs forever (it seems) I can say that I love to continue to learn.

And, maybe this isn't the right place to ask the question....maybe it is.  Here goes:

When adding lead power down the shaft, either during the rebuild/re-weight, or after, I completely understand the concept of getting the swing weight correct.

What I can't seem to get my head around is the fact that where the weight is in the club head end of the actual club affects the performance of said club.

We all know that older clubs (much older) tended to have longer hosels, effectively bringing the sweet spot closer to the heel of the club. By design, shortening the hosel allowed weight to be distributed further out along the club head towards the toe, effectively bringing the sweet spot closer to the center of the face.

With today's ability to manufacture heads with sliding weights, we also know how/where the weights are placed (in metal headed woods, anyway) will effect ball flight, but swing weight stays the same, I assume, since the weight is still the same relative distance from the fulcrum of the scale. I know that when I use lead tape on the backs of irons, its placement will effect trajectory, so I would assume that it would also have some effect on where the optimum position for contact would be.

Doesn't placing a weighting substance, whether it be lead powder or tungsten putty, down the shaft, effectively place the sweet spot closer to the hosel for that particular club?

I appreciate the fact that this action will make all swing weights equal, but it would appear to shift the position of the sweet spot for that particular club relative to others in the set.

For me, and my limited abilities and capacity for feel, I would assume this difference is so minute that it isn't detectable, but then again, I can't tell if there is one extra layer of grip tape under my right hand as opposed to my left.

Maybe it's my OCD....

Swing weight can actually change as the weight is positioned from heel to toe as you get either farther or closure to the fulcrum.  Same reason why it's mare than 2g to move SW a point on wedges and less than 2g to do it on a driver.  Not talking a drastic amount, but it can be measured.

As far as CG movement, depends on a few factors like starting head weight, heel/toe length, where the CG position originally was, etc.  For most weight additions, yes, it's fairly bridgeable as the 1-10g or so will not move the CG a really noticeable amount.  If you start talking 15g+, then yes, you are getting to the point where the CG can move a little bit.

Edited by Golfrnut, 13 January 2018 - 10:42 PM.

Odyssey MXM 1W

#22 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:28 AM

Golfrnut, on 13 January 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

As far as CG movement, depends on a few factors like starting head weight, heel/toe length, where the CG position originally was, etc.  For most weight additions, yes, it's fairly bridgeable as the 1-10g or so will not move the CG a really noticeable amount.  If you start talking 15g+, then yes, you are getting to the point where the CG can move a little bit.

Sounds a bit conservative to me.  With Iron heads (which start out much heavier then say a driver head), I would have said 20-25 gm would be needed before there was any noticeable change in c.g. location.  But that's said w/o doing any actual calculations.

#23 bbjr

bbjr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464616
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:33 AM

Stuart G., on 14 January 2018 - 04:28 AM, said:

Sounds a bit conservative to me.  With Iron heads (which start out much heavier then say a driver head), I would have said 20-25 gm would be needed before there was any noticeable change in c.g. location.  But that's said w/o doing any actual calculations.

I believe there are some posts from Tom Wishon floating around where he talks about testing that he has done on this, and according to his tests it takes 25g added to the hosel of irons before even the most sensitive of players can begin to detect a difference in feel and/or ballflight.

#24 2putttom

2putttom

# 1 Oregon Duck fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 5275

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

augustgolf, on 13 January 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

Maybe it's my OCD....
let us know how it turns out
Tour Exotics E 10 15*
Srixon 785's  w/G P MCC plus 4
Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace SNYPER II   46"
Oregon Ducks Bag

#25 Golfrnut

Golfrnut

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

bbjr, on 14 January 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:

I believe there are some posts from Tom Wishon floating around where he talks about testing that he has done on this, and according to his tests it takes 25g added to the hosel of irons before even the most sensitive of players can begin to detect a difference in feel and/or ballflight.

You would have to read thru the comments, but heís made the remarks before using about half that amount.

http://wishongolf.co...river-distance/

Odyssey MXM 1W

#26 bbjr

bbjr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464616
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

Golfrnut, on 14 January 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

You would have to read thru the comments, but he's made the remarks before using about half that amount.

Thanks for the link.  I tried to find the thread where he mentions 25g and it was here: http://www.golfwrx.c...e-should-i-add/ in posts #8 and #10.  After reading again, he is specifically talking about woods in this post and not irons, but given that woods are typically lighter and larger in volume than irons, I'm surprised that less weight would be required to shift the CG in an iron.

#27 Golfrnut

Golfrnut

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

bbjr, on 14 January 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

You would have to read thru the comments, but he's made the remarks before using about half that amount.

Thanks for the link.  I tried to find the thread where he mentions 25g and it was here: http://www.golfwrx.c...e-should-i-add/ in posts #8 and #10.  After reading again, he is specifically talking about woods in this post and not irons, but given that woods are typically lighter and larger in volume than irons, I'm surprised that less weight would be required to shift the CG in an iron.

Can only speculate, but I'm assuming it's due to the higher MOI of the driver head since he is talking about the gear effect and head rotation.  Irons being much easier to rotate due to the offcenter hit when not in line with the CG.  The CG would still move in the driver, but the higher MOI would prevent the same amount of rotation that you would see with an iron.
Odyssey MXM 1W

#28 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:27 AM

Interesting discussion but kind of a moot point unless you are starting out with an excessively light set of heads.  Even 15 gm added to an iron head will typically make the SW unmanageable.  And even if not, the effect of the results due to the SW change will by far dominate what will happen to the results compared to what any change in c.g. might cause.

Edited by Stuart G., 15 January 2018 - 04:30 AM.

#29 Strolf

Strolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

All I know is that I'm hyper sensitive to changing shaft weights and flexes.  If you put a really light flimsy shaft in my hands, I can't feel it and get a lot flippy.

Point being...I don't notice a move in CG, other than in the change in SW which is a much better place to be in than having the "ideal" CG location and a light as a feather, SW shaft, flex combo.  Also, when you look at the launch monitor data for clubs I've weighted vs. prior sets with 15g and sometimes more in tip, the ball speeds are actually higher, so something is working right?

#30 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

Go Bucks!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 4322

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

You would have to read thru the comments, but heís made the remarks before using about half that amount.

Weíve been talking about this on another thread actually. I got tired of posting that adding significant weight to the hosel will change the feel at impact. I felt like I was fighting with a few people even though I actually did an experiment on exactly this 25 years ago.   Glad someone found Tomís opinion on it. His Quote May 2017:

ďAdding headweight by putting lead powder down the shaft is fine up to a certain point. But once you add more than 12 grams in the shaft, there gets to be so much weight in the heel side of the head that the center of gravity of the iron head will be moved too far toward the shaft. What this can do is to result in shots hit on center now feeling a little less lively and less solid. Plus, when adding a lot of weight down the shaft, the powder sits higher up the shaft so that also raises the center of gravity higher on the head, which is also not so good.

In the end, you can put a little weight into the shaft, but the balance of the weight you need to add to get the head weight feel up there heavy enough to be comfortable to your sense of weight feel will have to be done by putting lots of lead tape on the back of each iron head. The heads may look odd with a ton of lead tape, but you just live with that because the goal has to be to get the swingweight up there high enough for you to feel comfortable about how much weight feel is out there on the end of the shaft.Ē

TOM

Summary.....lead tape is your friend. Too much weight in the hosel is not.

Edited by Jagpilotohio, 17 January 2018 - 07:21 PM.

9.5* Cobra LTD,  Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide2 46-12, 50-12, $-Tapers 125 S+
SM6 56-14 F (at 55), SM6 60-08 (at 61), S400 Black Onyx.
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors