Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Cobra X-Speed Pro Deep

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Cobra X-Speed Pro Deep Driver (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Make Your Opinion Count!

1. 5 (Best) (25 votes [60.98%])

Percentage of vote: 60.98%

2. 4 (12 votes [29.27%])

Percentage of vote: 29.27%

3. 3 (2 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

4. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 1 (2 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 G.Review

G.Review

Tour Winner

• Forum Review
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24339
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:42 AM

The result of a collaboration between Cobra's Tour staff and engineers, the King Cobra Speed Pro Drivers give the extreme-ball-speed players a real workable advantage from the tee box. Its square-to-open face alignment, large face area, and high MOI offer unique technical performance advantages for accomplished players.

High launch, low spin, maximum distance and control — that’s what you’ll get with the Speed Pro Drivers. Available in two models, the D and the S . This model, the Speed Pro D incorporates a larger Deep face design that produces high launch with low spin.

Milled Dual-Rhombus Face Insert
Creates more efficient face to further optimize ball speed and Coefficient of Restitution (COR) across the face.

Integrated Swing Weight Screw and Longer Hosel
Allows for correct swing weight and lie adjustments at the factory for custom orders. Center back screw location creates a neutral ball flight and increases the Moment of Inertia (MOI).

Square-To-Open Face Alignment
Traditional top-down profile with square-to-open alignment at address.

9366_3.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 cyr67

cyr67

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31948
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

I always liked the look and feel of Cobra drivers, but was loathe to buy one due to the substandard shafts and closed faces. As my natural shot is a draw, when the X Speed Pro D came out with .5 open face and the Aldila Proto shaft, I plumped for one. I have an 8.5 degree Pro D with X-stiff Proto VS 65 shaft that I special ordered from Cobra. In general, I am pleased with the club. I like the look and set up of deep faced drivers, and the Pro D sets up well and instills confidence at address. It has the same general shape as the HS 9, but the square/open face make this driver very workable off the tee. The Pro D is long. The feel of flushed shots is a little hard or muted for my liking, and when I know I have pured it, (distance, ball mark on face) the feedback doesn't seem to convey this. For me it is not any longer than my Ping G5 (7.5 degree with X-stiff Fuji 757) but it is more forgiving. The deep face and somewhat hard feeling causes me to really go after it with this driver, but it is forgiving enough to let me get away with an off swing. The sound is pleasing to me, but is high pitched, and may be too piercing for some. If you like the look and feel of previous Cobra drivers, you will probably like this offering. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

#3 abewley

abewley

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 876
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

the combo the the vs proto shaft and the deep face gives me the best ball flight since i had the Ping G2 and PL blue.  but longer with less spin.

so far its better than the 905R v2 combo it replaced.

#4 LONG&STR8

LONG&STR8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28371
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:56 PM

I returned a 9.5* with a VS Proto x-stiff due to too much spin that was costing me distance. Very nice sound and the shaft to me was extremely smooth and I could really feel it kick at impact. Tried to exchange it and order an 8.5* but cobra was on back order and i didn't want to wait.

#5 Awalkspoiled

Awalkspoiled

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,978 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3924
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:35 AM

I've had a couple of questions from members who know that I'm playing one of these (a 9.5 Deep), so here's a review I posted recently on another site. I'd only add that the honeymoon isn't over - it's the longest driver I've ever hit, partly because it really wants  to draw the ball as currently shafted on  an XCon 5 Stiff. Headweight on mine  was 204, so I pulled the sole pin and added some ratlestop and a very thin layer of cotton  which cleaned up the sound greatly. teh XCon 5 yields very high flight but also a bunch of rollout - extremely low spin shaft.

"Excellent drivers with the right shaft, but setting them up is tricky because the BBGM is about 2 3/8" which makes most untipped shafts play soft, and the headweight is around 206 - at least on the ones I've done.

Both hit the ball VERY high (the Deep maybe a LITTLE lower), both have a strange sound - not excessively loud but not solid either. Very, very straight on the proper shaft, in fact you have to really hold on to fade these. the S may have a little more draw bias but not much. Loft on the ones I've done was a little weaker than spec but only half a degree or so, face angle was square.

I thought the stock Speeder was a real dog, with a built in hook, the Proto a little better and the NVS was way softer than it should have been due to the BBGM, but was well suited to a lot of smoother swingers (a lot more spin with that shaft than the others).

XCon 5 will give you the highest shots you've ever seen, XCon 6 is a nice neutral high-launch/low spin combo. I'd love to try one on an F7M2, or underlength on an 8M2.

Go a degree stronger than you would with a TP Burner - they hit it high."

Taylormade 300 Tour Holy Grail/6Q3
Cally XHP 15/Altus
Cally XHP 18/23/ Saga/Altus hb
5-GW RBT/Program 95/130
Scratch D/D 54/Program 130
Bettinardi QB3

#6 Fillies

Fillies

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16030
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:38 AM

Tried this club in the 8.5 deg with the Speeder in stiff. This club did nothing to impress me. Launched high with high spin, and did not like the sound at all.

#7 WesleyD

WesleyD

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122476
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:27 AM

View Postbig_jess, on Aug 28 2007, 09:56 PM, said:

I returned a 9.5* with a VS Proto x-stiff due to too much spin that was costing me distance. Very nice sound and the shaft to me was extremely smooth and I could really feel it kick at impact. Tried to exchange it and order an 8.5* but cobra was on back order and i didn't want to wait.

how do you like the lv4? Is it hard to hit fades or draws with?

#8 wannabetiger

wannabetiger

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43063
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:08 PM

I love this club. I prefer a deep faced driver, and this one is perfect. I used to drive the ball very long, but for the last several years, I've struggled to find a driver that I could really crush. I just played two rounds with this, and was crushing it further than I've hit the ball ever. Long straight drives, right down the center. A perfect mid flight trajectory, that just hung forever, followed by a big hop and some decent roll. My dad and I typically hit the ball close to the same distance off the tee, sometimes I'm 5 yards or so longer, but these last two rounds I was easily 30 yards or more longer on some of my better ones, he was in utter shock. I did snap hook a couple, but that was due to me getting too flat on my backswing, trying to hit a draw, not the club. This club just feels great hit on the screws. I even hit it on a dog leg that in only 260 to the corner, and I knocked it straight through the fairway on the fly, and couldn't have been happier just to watch it fly.

#9 BHEA2444

BHEA2444

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58134

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, I tried this at my club's demo day and I am able to say that the ball came off very straight. I didn't think that the balls went as far as some of the other drivers there, but for me it was deffinately the straightest. I liked the Tour Burner too, but he only thing is that it set up kind of closed. The D2 is really nice and solid, plays similar to the X speed. I might buy it, not sure if its worth the $400 price tage since its already been out since the last speed generation. Technology develops and there is probably something nicer ou there. A lot of people on the range liked the new mizuno withe the moveable weights. I think it looks terrible, but that's just me.

#10 ezra76

ezra76

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25285
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:42 PM

I picked one of these up in a 10.5* with the yellow VS Proto Sflex for cheap. I like it a lot. I've been hitting it very high but carrying to where the longer drivers I've hit roll to. Not getting much roll at all but I'm liking being able to carry and land it. Another benefit is I've been able to throttle back and high cut it on tighter holes, taking off 10-15yds. but very accurate. I'm not sure on my SS but carrying this driver 255-265. It's looking to be the most consistant driver I've hit, very straight.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 shadowbandit

shadowbandit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17675
  • Ebay ID:effigy77

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:44 AM

ive been playing this for 2 full seasons 8.5 degree, i have no complaints , im consistently hitting the bal 280-300 and an occasional 320 , i use the stock shaft nvs x-stiff aldila , however the shaft has become a bit less stiff in recent weeks , i may put in a v2 proto 59x so the shaft will remain stiffer at the bottom ,, may lose a few yds but who cares , this club is great . titleist best drivers are actually cobra !!!

#12 Pablito Woods

Pablito Woods

Sir Pablo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63311
  • Ebay ID:pabz25
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

This and the S version look great (I seem to prefer the shallow face driver a little more). I was also looking into a Geek DCT 9* with HOF Jamie Sadlowski stiff. If I get a Pro S 8.5* and install a low launch stiff shaft, could the 2 be comparable? I would like some answers from those who hit both with same or similar shafts! Also looking into Bang-O-Matic 9* with GD Tour AD 65-S and a Geek FS2 9* to install a low-mid stiff shaft. All these deals are on Ebay at great prices, too!

Edited by PabloDiablo14, 01 September 2009 - 08:26 AM.

#13 bubbha70

bubbha70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49437

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Bought one off Ebay, with the Aldila NV Proto 65.  Went to the driving range.  Came back home and bought two more.  This driver is BEAST!  Longer than my X/Speed and just as loud.  This clubhead and shaft combinination is amazing.

#14 LaBraeGolfer

LaBraeGolfer

Road to Scratch

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127471
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

Had one of these in play most of high school the 9.5 S with the Speeder Stiff, thinking about getting the 10.5 D with the stock vs., anybody still game this or have any comparisions versus newer drivers in the forgiveness category.
Rapture V2 10.5 Accra
910 FD 15 (A1) Kail'i 70 x5ct S
20 Idea Pro Matrix Ozik Altus
Nike VRS Forged Nippon 950 Stiff 4-AW
SM4 54/11, 58/12 s200
White Hot Steel 2 Ball 34"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors