Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2 hybrid distance versus 3 wood?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jedimater

jedimater

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33745
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

Hey,
I have only played a half dozen or so round a few buckets of balls with my hybrid but it sure seems to go as far if not farther than my 3 wood?
I was wondering how far any of you guys are hitting a 2 hybrid compared to your FW woods? I am one club over and I need to drop either the 5 wood or the 3 wood.
I was thinking of just dropping both and adding a fourth wedge.
I have a big gap in my wedges atm, I carry a 60 and 56, the 56 is my bread and butter 105 - 110 shot and my PW is perfect from 140 - 145
I was thinking of a adding a 52 or 54.
I can't even remember the last time I have needed a fw to reach a par 5 in 2 as I am almost always a mid to long iron, and I have really come to enjoy hitting hybrid off the tee, as a backup to my driver.

The main question is the distance, where does a 2 hybrid fall for distance in your game?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 bloodredsun

bloodredsun

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,805 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22235
  • Ebay ID:bloodredsunfootie

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:26 AM

My 2 hybrid has replaced my 5 wood. It's only 1 degree higher loft than my 3 wood but the shaft is much shorter so it goes a good 20 yards less. Also, I'm not too sure about the loft on my hybrid, I think it's actually higher than 16 degrees so the loft differential may be more.

For you to be hitting your hybrid as far as your 3W indicates that either you are flushing it out of the middle with the hybrid and missing the sweetspot of the 3W or there is something wrong with your 3W.

That is also a big gap in your wedges. I have something similar which is why I have a 52 gap wedge. If the conditions are dry I tend to replace the 56 with a 60 but the 52 always stays in the bag as it's too useful.

#3 DavidR

DavidR

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6583
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

I to was planning on getting a 2h to replace my 5 wood. With the shorter shaft it will not go the distance of a 3wood.

#4 duceb415

duceb415

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26900

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:58 AM

I currently don't have a 3wd and haven't played a 5wd in about three years. This year I went ahead and put a 14*Halo in place of a 3wd. It has a 43"V2 in it so just in case it was a little shorter than a 3wd it isn't anymore. I've also got a 16*TM Rescue Mid that I've had for 3 years now and haven't missed ever having a 5wd. I've always struggled with woods off the deck and make a lot better contact with hybrids so if you thinking about switching I highly recommend it.

#5 jedimater

jedimater

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33745

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

I hit the Hybrid much better than I hit the 3wood. The 3 wood hits with a slight fade, where as the hybrid hits a slight draw. My 3 and 5 wd are the only clubs I consistently with a fade with.  The Hybrid definatly goes further than my 5 wd.

The gap in my wedge play is pretty big I know, It's reaaly the weak point in my game when I am between the 120 and 140 yards out I cringe a bit.
depending on the wind I will either play a knockdown PW or lean on a 56. I tend to favour the 56 as at 105 I am putting a full strength 3/4 swing knockdown draw. I can hit that same shot all day long.

#6 sfdoddsy

sfdoddsy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12107
  • Ebay ID:blackwash1
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:32 AM

I've been juggling between a 15* 3 wood, a 17* 4 wood and a 16* hybrid.

As you'd expect, the 3 wood (TM R7Ti) went furthest on flushed shots, followed by the 4 wood (Callaway X) and then the hybrid.

However, the hybrid would have the longest average since I hit it more consistently.

The comparison was from the fairway rather than a tee.

#7 matracy68

matracy68

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20426

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:42 AM

I use a Ben Hogan CFT 2 iron hybrid rather then a 5 Wood. I feel the hybrid gives me more options. Especially out of the rough.

#8 MrMom

MrMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13856

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

The main question is the distance, where does a 2 hybrid fall for distance in your game?

My three wood carries about 250-255, but with a nice high trajectory where the ball comes down and stops, with not much role out all.

My 2 hybrid carries about 240 but roles out because it has a much lower trajectory.

The closeness in yardages just got me to lengthen my three wood a little bit (3/4"). I plan on just usng the three wood as second driver off the tee on tighter holes, and when I need to control the length.

#9 jg1166

jg1166

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20018
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

I replaced my 5W with a 2 Hybrid but I found that I used it more than my 3 wood off the deck prefer consistency abd not musch loss in distance if at all.  In the end I replaced my Sonartec 3W with a Callaway X-Hot 3W as I found that I was only really using it off the tee on short Par 4.  If you a look at my signature I think I may have the bag set up you are looking at.  For me it work really well but I am long hitter.

#10 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 420

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

My Nickent 3DXDC 17 deg. 2 hybrid hits it as far as my 17 deg. Cally fusion 4W and it is much more versatile.  Hit it around 235 on a good strike and my 3W about 250 yd. from the fairway.  The hybrid is a much more reliable club though and I'll often use it as a tee club on tight short par 4's.  I can really bomb it off the tee, it's become my favorite club this year.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Superman

Superman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30742

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:53 PM

When you hit the sweet spot on a club, it will go futher.  If you hit your hybrid farther, it is because you are hitting the sweet spot every time rather than once in a while with your 3 wood

#12 ShoxTP

ShoxTP

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2518
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:27 PM

For a while i didn't carry a 3 wood at all, becuase i would just smash my Rescue. Then after a while i put it back in the bag and it just collected dust and i only used it for tee shots. But now with new swing changes (Much flatter plane and more rotation) i can hit my 3 wood really well. Certainly i still use my Rescue more often than the 3 wood becuase of confidence and accuracy but both go about the same with a 230 carry. For me it all just depends on the lie i get.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors