Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Queens Unversity of Charlotte N.C.

42 replies to this topic

#31 Golfczar

Golfczar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52996
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

I've been reading some of the comments about Queens University and thought I'd correct some of the mis-information out there.  The golf teams and PGM both use some of the best courses in Charlotte.  The home course is indeed Myers Park Country Club -- nough said about that!  The PGM Program uses Ballantyne Resort -- not country club.  The resort is voted as one of the top 40 in the world by PGA Mag.  Also, PGM uses Raintree COuntry Club and Firethorne Country Club.  Raintree has some of the best greens around and has 36 holes.  Firethorn is where they play the Monday qualifer for the  Wachovia Championship.  They are talking with three other private clubs for access -- so the comment that Queens does not use godd courses is WRONG!

Also, the University is in the NICEST-RICHEST part of town -- The safest according the crime stats -- if you get into those sort of things.  The entire campus is surrounded by 100 year old oak trees and multi-million dollar homes.  By the way, Queens is ranked in the top 30 universities in the Region and has one of the most recognized faculties in NC.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Pinehurst1999

Pinehurst1999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28664
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:19 AM

View PostGolfczar, on Apr 5 2008, 10:13 AM, said:

I've been reading some of the comments about Queens University and thought I'd correct some of the mis-information out there.  The golf teams and PGM both use some of the best courses in Charlotte.  The home course is indeed Myers Park Country Club -- nough said about that!  The PGM Program uses Ballantyne Resort -- not country club.  The resort is voted as one of the top 40 in the world by PGA Mag.  Also, PGM uses Raintree COuntry Club and Firethorne Country Club.  Raintree has some of the best greens around and has 36 holes.  Firethorn is where they play the Monday qualifer for the  Wachovia Championship.  They are talking with three other private clubs for access -- so the comment that Queens does not use godd courses is WRONG!

Also, the University is in the NICEST-RICHEST part of town -- The safest according the crime stats -- if you get into those sort of things.  The entire campus is surrounded by 100 year old oak trees and multi-million dollar homes.  By the way, Queens is ranked in the top 30 universities in the Region and has one of the most recognized faculties in NC.
Myers Park is the MOST OVER-RATED course in Charlotte...it is a very nice course, but the 60K for initiation is unreal.  Raintree is crap, in my opinion.  I have a coworker who is a member there and have spoken to may people who agree that the course is forgetable.  The South course is a bunch of bland holes that you can not remember after the round...and both courses are LINED WITH HOUSES and WHITE STAKES.  If you do not mind courses that are competely surronded by houses at all angles then you would not mind this course.  Also, the green out at Myers Park are some of the best around...but Raintree greens are constantly burnt out from getting 4-somes all day long and people not fixing ball marks...very similar to how Pine Island is right now as well.  Firethorn is always in much better condition than Raintree...another rant on Raintree...for the amount that people pay out there how about putting some sand in the bunkers.  The sand is so shallow that you club bottoms-out on the hard clay beneath the 1-1.5" of sand causing thin bunker shots. Even the members I have met out there complain....and it is easily the crappiest range of all private courses I have ever seen, rocks and pebbles!  Sorry to be a hater, but I have played out there a few times recently (I will never turn down a free round, but I have actually turned down free golf at the South Course out there), and so much out there makes me wonder why anyone would want to join there since Cedarfield is in the same price range across the street.

The college is in a very nice part of town...but what I think people were saying on here was that Charlotte is not exactly the safest city in the SE.  You do not have to go very far to get into bad areas...but the same can be said for Duke and Seton Hall...along with tons of other universities.

#33 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 747

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

The college is in a very nice part of town...but what I think people were saying on here was that Charlotte is not exactly the safest city in the SE.  You do not have to go very far to get into bad areas...but the same can be said for Duke and Seton Hall...along with tons of other universities.
[/quote]

I can back this up. My brother has been a police officer for CMPD for over 7 years. In that time, he has torn his meniscus, had a drunk driver tee bone him when he had full lights and sirens going in response to a burglary in progress, was the first officer on scene last April when those 2 officers were brutally murdered, a crack head young girl bit him and he had to be monitored for a year and take shots and pills to keep him from contracting HIV and many many more instances of this type of thing. Not to mention, Charlotte has one of the worst public school systems on the eastern seaboard.

He is now looking to move his family to Raleigh.

#34 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11166
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

Charlotte doesn't have one of the worst school systems in the SE.  I think just about every school system in South Carolina is much worse.  Charlotte has about 3 very good public shools, albeit the rest are pretty bad.  I think all 3 of those, Myers Park, Providence, and Vance or North Meck are all in the top 100 in the country.

Saying they play some of the best courses in the city is a bit of an overstatement.  Myers Park, I think, was ranked 6th in the city last I saw, and that's by far the nices place they play.

Edited by bk4, 05 April 2008 - 12:54 PM.

#35 Golfczar

Golfczar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52996

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

You are all allowed your opinions, but when push comes to shove, the courses that are used are MUCH better than the other options in the city.  Come on, you've got Quail, Charlotte Country Club, Longview, Carmel, and maybe one other that is better than Myers Park...the city courses are bad, and any course managed by IRI (basically any other public access course) is questionable at best!  Cedarwood (NOT Cedarfield) is better now that they have been open after their re-design last year.

When Myers is finished with their re-do in Sept, it goes back to the original Ross 1945 design with about 7100 yards.  The green and bunker complexes are all new (back to the old design).  

Best new course in the area is Carolina Lakes.. play that if you haven't....but this is all off topic.  I believe the tread was talking about Queens University of Charlotte.  Got something to add to that -- please do, otherwise let's start a new string about courses in Charlotte.

#36 Pinehurst1999

Pinehurst1999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:20 PM

[quote name='Golfczar' date='Apr 5 2008, 02:37 PM' post='1005539']
Cedarwood (NOT Cedarfield) is better now that they have been open after their re-design last year.
/quote]
Sorry, I always do that because I live in a neighborhood called Cedarfield...
Cedarwood is a much better course in my opinion compared to Raintree which is just across the street...and I agree that Myers is nice, really nice.  Just not 60k initiation nice.  Granted, it is an 'old money' type of course and location.

The public courses, and all of the Carolina Trail, are a joke.  Nice layouts but horrible conditions and packed all day long.  The worst thing is that they are 60-70$ a round on the weekend.  I can take people to be a guest at my private course for only $61 on the weekend and they will be done in 4:15-4:30 at most, and have FAR better conditions.  It really is the biggest disappointment about living the Charlotte Area...but on the oter hand there are many affordable private options like Raintree, Pine Island, Northstone, Cowan's Ford, Cedarwood....

#37 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

I've heard Ceaderwood is much better as is Carolina Golf and CC since they've been redone.  I think Myers Park is better than either Carmel course.  Gaston in Gastonia is the most underrated by far in the area.

#38 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 747

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:17 PM

View Postbk4, on Apr 5 2008, 01:47 PM, said:

Charlotte doesn't have one of the worst school systems in the SE.  I think just about every school system in South Carolina is much worse.  Charlotte has about 3 very good public shools, albeit the rest are pretty bad.  I think all 3 of those, Myers Park, Providence, and Vance or North Meck are all in the top 100 in the country.
Saying they play some of the best courses in the city is a bit of an overstatement.  Myers Park, I think, was ranked 6th in the city last I saw, and that's by far the nices place they play.

I must have misunderstood the premise of the 60 Minutes episode last year that talked about Charlotte's public school system hiring a new superintendant from Los Angeles to fix the numerous problems they were having. Oh, by the way, my brother has gone into Vance and North Mech to arrest and break up riots within the past year.

#39 Tmiller72

Tmiller72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30047
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:03 PM

View PostGolfczar, on Apr 5 2008, 03:37 PM, said:

You are all allowed your opinions, but when push comes to shove, the courses that are used are MUCH better than the other options in the city.  Come on, you've got Quail, Charlotte Country Club, Longview, Carmel, and maybe one other that is better than Myers Park...the city courses are bad, and any course managed by IRI (basically any other public access course) is questionable at best!  Cedarwood (NOT Cedarfield) is better now that they have been open after their re-design last year.

When Myers is finished with their re-do in Sept, it goes back to the original Ross 1945 design with about 7100 yards.  The green and bunker complexes are all new (back to the old design).  

Best new course in the area is Carolina Lakes.. play that if you haven't....but this is all off topic.  I believe the tread was talking about Queens University of Charlotte.  Got something to add to that -- please do, otherwise let's start a new string about courses in Charlotte.

Are you a member at Carolina Lakes or have something to do with Sun City?  Carolina Lakes is not a good golf course.  I played for the "discounted" rate of $55 because the greens had been punched.  It's just that time of the year and I know they have to do that.  That wasn't the problem.  They should have discounted more due to the fairways being the worst that I have ever played on!!  I've lived in the south my whole life and I know that dormant bermuda can be a pretty good surface to hit off of.  Whoever built Carolina Links did a poor job with the fairways, there is a little bit of grass with solid clay underneath.  No sand, no soil just clay.  It was so bad that ball wouldn't even stay in the fairway.  One guy in my group hit a hook into the left rough.  The ball ended up in the right rough about 75 yards away from where it should have stopped.  I guess the one good thing is that if you could keep one in the fairway, it would go a long roll.  I have a bad shoulder and was worried that I might injure my shoulder even more due to the fairways.  I will say that the design is pretty good and maybe several years down the road when the course matures it may become an ok place to play.  But right now it is terrible!  It's way over priced for what is offered right now.
I did just play Ballantyne CC yesterday and thought it was great!  Their dormant fairways were nearly perfect to play from.  Never saw any clay in those fairways.

#40 R Stones

R Stones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9406

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:47 PM

We never had any problems til til the yanks and other out of towners moved here, if everyone would go back to the great NORTH, things would be fine. I've been here my whole life and CCC is the best, Cedarwood was crap 30 years  a go and still is, its not worth a 2500  yearly member ship or Cowans Ford for that matter.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Pinehurst1999

Pinehurst1999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:44 PM

I had a Myers Park member ar my Member-Guest last fall and he called the course the best value in Charlotte.  Another member who just joined recently chose Cowan's over Piper and the other courses down south...a lot of it had to do with the junior membership being way cheap.  $220/month for full family membership is amazing for the quality there...the best thing is that they limit membership around 500 golf members so the course does not get torn to pieces like Raintree or Pine Island.  Even during the drought last season the greens were pristine.

I have never had a round over 4:20 minutes even on Saturday mornings...there is a LOT to be said for that, since I have NEVER had a round under 5 hours at Raintree.  The drive from the downtown area is also much better now that 16 is open all the way to 73.  Of all the courses I have steped foot onto in Charlotte, Cowan's has the largest and best practice facility...besides Quail.  If you have not played there since the redesign then you are speaking about something that you do not know.  The guy who was a Myers member played there in the 80's during HS and had not been back to play since...and he was amazed at how nicely manicured the place was.

As for the comments about us northerners...I promise that we are not the ones moving here and living in the Ghetto's of Charlotte or in the trailer parks with Rebel flags everywhere.  The majority of northerners moving here are doing so while bringing business and money, like Wachovia and other corporate headquarters.  I do not want to get into a political arguement on here, but the comment you made was pretty ignorant, sorry for ranting.

#42 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:40 PM

OK, well thankfully I am not a product of Charlotte public schools.  I know Myers Park and Providence are good for public schools, but I left Charlotte for high school.  I just know from my experience in college that there are tons of dumb people from all over the south.

#43 R Stones

R Stones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9406

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

Wonder how I knew you were a yank, but most the yank,s I know come here because there are no jobs at home, that and weather which they can't drive on ice as well as they think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors