Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Queens Unversity of Charlotte N.C.

42 replies to this topic

#1 Gallery_Spaddy 07_*

Gallery_Spaddy 07_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:11 PM

Title says it all...
Let me know
Im talking to their coach now
and look foward toplaying there

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ERuhling

ERuhling

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24392
  • Ebay ID:ERuhling
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:42 PM

I actually was just there visiting thier campus with my sister who wants to play on thier girls golf team.   I thought it was a great place in one of the best parts of Charlotte.  I would like to go there but I am only 13 so I will wait.  I know a lot about the school and thingfs now so you can ask some questions and I'll try to answer.

#3 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11166
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:26 PM

I'm from Charlotte, and yes Queens is in one of the nicest parts of Charlotte and is a nice college.  It was an all girls school for a long time.  The only downside to playing there is that Queens doesn't have access to the best courses in Charlotte, which is a shame because there are a few great ones.  When I was younger they played at Charlotte Golf Links, but for some reason now, I think they play at one of the courses out of town.  Charlotte is a great city though, and is a fun place to be.

#4 GehenHerzog

GehenHerzog

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4749

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:14 AM

Is the coach Eric Baldwin? or is he the director of the PGM Program?

During the Wachovia Championship, he runs the driving range, and he always has Queens players out there helping out.  I help out every year, so I have met a couple of them

#5 cdesana

cdesana

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20679
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

The young guy I play this weekend in the round of 8 in the Club Championship is on scholarship there for golf. He is also in the PGM program. Says he really likes the school and campus.

#6 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,770 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:3.1
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

My mother went there back when it was all women.  I've been there a couple of times and it seemed like a nice campus in an attractive part of the city.  Not sure where they play their golf, though.  Charlotte's kind of a mixed bag - it's got some really nice parts and some really bad parts.
Callaway GBB 9*, Rogue Silver I/O 60 S
Callaway 816 14*, Rogue Silver I/O 70 S
Callaway 816, 18*, Rogue Silver I/O 70 S
Taylormade P-790, 4-AW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Callaway MD3 56* & PM-60* Recoil 110 F4 +1"
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black, 36"

#7 GehenHerzog

GehenHerzog

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

View PostSheriffBooth, on Jul 11 2007, 10:20 AM, said:

My mother went there back when it was all women.  I've been there a couple of times and it seemed like a nice campus in an attractive part of the city.  Not sure where they play their golf, though.  Charlotte's kind of a mixed bag - it's got some really nice parts and some really bad parts.

Theres only 1 really bad part in charlotte...rest of its pretty nice

#8 ERuhling

ERuhling

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:54 AM

The golf team plays at Myers Park C.C. which is like 5 mins. away and they also play at Ballantyne C.C. (not sure on spelling)

#9 GehenHerzog

GehenHerzog

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:18 AM

View PostEJR1023, on Jul 12 2007, 09:54 AM, said:

The golf team plays at Myers Park C.C. which is like 5 mins. away and they also play at Ballantyne C.C. (not sure on spelling)

Myers Park is an old Donald Ross course, has had some renovations to it and its actually 7,000+ yards.  It's not one of my favorite Donald Ross courses but its nice.  Not very good practice facility though.

Ballantyne Country Club is a Rees Jones design, very hard course to walk.  BIG BIG Houses on the course, long walks from Green to tee and every green is like an amphitheater around it where you gotta walk up big slopes to get to the cart path.  It is a decent layout, not one of my favorite courses in the area.

#10 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

Yeah, Myers Park's range has reduced flight golf balls and even then, I don't think you are allowed to hit more than a 7 iron on it.  There are some weird holes and some good ones out there.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 WFUGolfer15

WFUGolfer15

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16728

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

Queens' girls golf team has some HOT chicks on it. thats all im going to say.

#12 MRuhling08

MRuhling08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47421

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

I will be playing on the Queens University of Charlotte women's golf team in the fall of 2008.  Queens has a great golf program with a great new coach for both the men's and women's golf teams.  The team plays at Myers Park Country Club, however it is closed for renovation but hoping to reopen around September.  They also play at Ballantyne Resort and occassionally Country Club.  The PGM program is also great and is run by their former coach.  The school itself has a strong academic reputation and is in in a great area of Charlotte.  I'm really looking forward to playing there and going to school.

#13 Pinehurst1999

Pinehurst1999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28664
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:54 PM

I met a few of they Men's players from Queens at a local shop.  They were clearly top-notch players, one was from England.  Myers Park is known for their "Augusta Greens"...great course and good place to play matches.

BTW...there are SEVERAL bad areas around Charlotte, it is just a part it beign such a large city.  I lived in Raleigh for 8 years and never worried about my wife going to out with friends in Raleigh...but Charlotte is different.  The downtown (uptown) area is pretty safe...but there are MANY bad areas.  In fact...my wife works on morehead street, just a stone throw from downtown, and they had to start locking their front door during work hours.  People were fighting out in the street, and some people even came into the office to ask for $!

It is a great city and we are happy to live here...but make not mistake about it, it is not nearly as safe as Raleigh.

Edited by gocanes1, 22 March 2008 - 07:58 PM.

#14 beachgrovejunior

beachgrovejunior

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24446
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:23 PM

View PostMRuhling08, on Mar 22 2008, 04:45 PM, said:

I will be playing on the Queens University of Charlotte women's golf team in the fall of 2008.

View PostWFUGolfer15, on Jul 15 2007, 01:04 PM, said:

Smooooth bro

#15 ERuhling

ERuhling

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

View Postgocanes1, on Mar 22 2008, 08:54 PM, said:

I met a few of they Men's players from Queens at a local shop.  They were clearly top-notch players, one was from England.  Myers Park is known for their "Augusta Greens"...great course and good place to play matches.

BTW...there are SEVERAL bad areas around Charlotte, it is just a part it beign such a large city.  I lived in Raleigh for 8 years and never worried about my wife going to out with friends in Raleigh...but Charlotte is different.  The downtown (uptown) area is pretty safe...but there are MANY bad areas.  In fact...my wife works on morehead street, just a stone throw from downtown, and they had to start locking their front door during work hours.  People were fighting out in the street, and some people even came into the office to ask for $!

It is a great city and we are happy to live here...but make not mistake about it, it is not nearly as safe as Raleigh.

Is the Myers Park area a good area or bad area in your opinion?

#16 Pinehurst1999

Pinehurst1999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:02 PM

View PostERuhling, on Mar 22 2008, 08:40 PM, said:

View Postgocanes1, on Mar 22 2008, 08:54 PM, said:

Is the Myers Park area a good area or bad area in your opinion?

Very nice area...you just have to be careful because the bad areas creep into the nice ones without knowing it very quickly...but Myers Park in the 'Old Money' area of Charlotte...very nice!

#17 ERuhling

ERuhling

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

Cool thanks, My parents lived there 25 years ago and they say its changed a whole lot.

#18 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:57 PM

I grew up in the Myers Park/Eastover parts of Charlotte.  The college is pretty safe.  There aren't any bad parts until you go a little bit out past Park Rd or Kings Dr.
Ballentyne is a real haul from Queens, but Myers Park is obviously very close.  Do you guys/irls play more at Ballentyne or Myers Park?  Several high schools play at Myers Park too I think as well as the club having way more members than they can even accomodate.  You're going to be in Charlotte for a good time for golf.  Several courses are in the process of or just have been renovated, as well as being in the city when Charlotte CC hosts the 2010 Women's Am.  If the opportunity ever arises to play there, jump on it.  While it has always been the best golf course in Charlotte, it is now the hardest too since it re-opened.

#19 R Stones

R Stones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9406

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:44 AM

View Postbk4, on Mar 22 2008, 11:57 PM, said:

I grew up in the Myers Park/Eastover parts of Charlotte.  The college is pretty safe.  There aren't any bad parts until you go a little bit out past Park Rd or Kings Dr.
Ballentyne is a real haul from Queens, but Myers Park is obviously very close.  Do you guys/irls play more at Ballentyne or Myers Park?  Several high schools play at Myers Park too I think as well as the club having way more members than they can even accomodate.  You're going to be in Charlotte for a good time for golf.  Several courses are in the process of or just have been renovated, as well as being in the city when Charlotte CC hosts the 2010 Women's Am.  If the opportunity ever arises to play there, jump on it.  While it has always been the best golf course in Charlotte, it is now the hardest too since it re-opened.

I love Charlotte CC, hopefuly will make it to final day of the new City AM this year, to get a chance to play the re-do of the course.

#20 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

I hope to move back to Charlotte in time to play in it.  Last week was the first week open for guest play and I only got through 8 holes before it was rained out, but the back tees play over 7,400 yards with only 2 par 5's.  on the back side only 1 par 4 is under 430 yards.  Greens have gone back to old school Donald Ross like you see on Pinehurst #2 and Linville GC.  Last I heard the lowest score from the back tees is 76

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Tmiller72

Tmiller72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30047
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

View PostWFUGolfer15, on Jul 15 2007, 05:04 PM, said:

Really???

http://www.queens.ed.../wgolf/home.asp

#22 Pinehurst1999

Pinehurst1999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

View PostTmiller72, on Mar 23 2008, 08:38 PM, said:

Really???

Wow!

#23 Tmiller72

Tmiller72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,716 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

View Postgocanes1, on Mar 23 2008, 10:33 PM, said:

View PostTmiller72, on Mar 23 2008, 08:38 PM, said:

Really???

Wow!

Pretty bad.  haha

#24 beachgrovejunior

beachgrovejunior

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24446
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:06 AM

lol i didnt pick up the sarcasm, i think(hope?)

#25 ERuhling

ERuhling

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

Is Charlotte C.C. harder then Quail Hollow?

#26 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:37 PM

View PostERuhling, on Mar 24 2008, 06:55 PM, said:

Is Charlotte C.C. harder then Quail Hollow?
It is now, it didn't used to be.  It's always been the best course, and the best maintained, but it was short.  They added over 600 yards to the course and added most of the features that Robert Trent Jones took out in the 60's back in that Donald Ross had originally had on the course.  They also got the head superintendant from Southern Hills and that is a HUGE upgrade.  Most courses in Charlotte tend to have problems with their greens in the summer, but this guy has kept US Open greens in Tulsa for years, so that's a plus

#27 golferdude_holein1

golferdude_holein1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9429

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:13 AM

I'm also talking with the coach of queens and from the few times i've visited the campus everything seems to be pretty top notch..i played out at ballantyne when i visited the school in december and the course seemed pretty good...i know john is in the process of re building the team to make it a nationally respected d2 program...he has already signed...or had verbals from a couple guys i know from up my way in ontario canada that are pertty decent players that are really gonna help the team.. the only problems i've had with the program and the reason that i havent signed there as of yet is that the golf program has very little or no money to offer for scholarships in the next couple years...other than that..top notch school..hope this helps

#28 Tmiller72

Tmiller72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,716 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:34 AM

Why is there no scholarship money?  Did he give too much to the current players?  I played Div 1 golf and there were a certain amount of scholarships allowed per team.  Most were on partial golf scholarships or other scholarships like academic.  One of our best players wasn't even on a golf scholarship, he was on an academic one which freed up money for other players.  So what I'm saying is, if you like the school but the coach isn't offering you enough money, try applying for other types of scholarships and you may end up with more money than anybody else on the team.  Charlotte is a good town for golf.  I'm playing at Ballantyne CC next week, I'll let you know what I think of the course.

#29 golferdude_holein1

golferdude_holein1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9429

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

yeah i think what happened is exactly that...all of the guys on the team now have money and they have used up the alotted scholarships until those guys r done...and yeah i have applied for and received a fairly hefty academic scholarship from there but its still tough to commit when you have the same academic scholly plus golf money from another school...so i dunno ...have fun playin the course

#30 MRuhling08

MRuhling08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47421

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:04 PM

I think you all have the right idea.  I played with the coach at Ballantyne in Feb. and also liked the course.  Very dry though.  I also know of no scholarship money left for the girls team, I'm guessing the same thing applies for both boys and girls team with an alloted budget.  Is anybody on here signing with Queens to play in 2008?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors