Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The Golf Shop - Dulles, VA

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 drummerboy88

drummerboy88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34219
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

Has anyone ever bought clubs at this store or know what their selection is like?  I am in the market for a new driver and they are the only store I can find within the Metro DC area that does not charge to use a launch monitor.   It's somewhat out of the way, however, so I only want to make the trip if it will be worthwhile.  Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 tbowles411

tbowles411

I've always liked this pic. :)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1709

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:58 PM

Actually, right now I'm 8 miles away from it.  Their selection is HUGE.  They have pretty much everything including the Optifit from Cally.  There is also Golfdom in Tysons Corner VA and Washington Golf in Chantilly and Arlington.

#3 tbn319

tbn319

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28924

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:49 PM

They have a very large selection, of clubs and shafts.  I checked out some drivers the other day and they had probably 2 or 3 different shafts of a bunch of drivers.  

On a side note, does anyone in the area know what happened to Dan's Golf Shop in Chantilly?  They haven't been open in a few months but have no signs that say what's going on.

#4 maniacalswing

maniacalswing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15708

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:48 PM

Unfortunately, you have to pay to use the monitor at Golfdom in Tyson's. Washington Golf in Arlington doesn't have a set up that can be used by customers.

I gotta check out this shop in Dulles!

#5 Goldenhawk

Goldenhawk

Major Winner

• 2,781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7653
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

The Golf Shop not only has several launch monitor rooms, but they have that indoor sand bunker.  My son loves to visit there because of the sand bunker and large putting area.

You can also use your Dicks Sporting Goods gift cards, coupons and point cards there.

View Posttbn319, on Jul 10 2007, 02:49 PM, said:

On a side note, does anyone in the area know what happened to Dan's Golf Shop in Chantilly?  They haven't been open in a few months but have no signs that say what's going on.

The guy that runs Dan's Golf Shop, Chris, does long drive showsevents during the season.  That's why the store is closed a lot.

TM SLDR 10.5* Driver Matrix XCon 5
Adams Super XTD Ti 14.5* Wood Fubuki AX
Adams Super XTD Ti 19* Hybrid Fubuki AX
TM SLDR Irons 4 to AW, KBS C-Taper 90
Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
TM xFT Wedges, 56* and 60*

#6 lsfird13

lsfird13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23559

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

FYI - I've been to both Washington Golf Centers recently and neither of them has a launch monitor. Apparently both monitor's in the Arlington store were recently broken - at least that is what I was told

#7 noel228

noel228

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25542
  • Ebay ID:noel228

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

Isn't that a coinky-dinky; I was just at The Golf Shop around lunch time today.  I love, love, love this store.  It's about 13 miles from house.  Every time my wife mentions going to Dulles Town Center, I automatically think..The Golf Shop!  The place is like a golf Superstore and training facility.  When I ask to try out a driver or irons, they pretty much give me free reign of the launch monitor...I think there are two bays with a launch monitor.   There's also an indoor driving range and bunker practice area...I think you have to pay a rate though.  Every time I've stepped foot in there, it's pretty much dead.  Makes me wonder how they stay in business.  About the selection, it's great!  They have most of the major brands.  However, I don't recall ever seeing the Ping brand.  If you're into clothing, they're having an EXCELLENT clearance sale...50% off the lowest ticketed price.  Me and the wife bought up a storm!  

BTW, a few of the Dick's Sporting Goods store in my area (Fairfax and the one at Dulles) will let you hit balls using the launch monitor for free.  Also, I think there was a sign outside of the store saying that Callaway will be there on the 17th for professional fitting of their products.

#8 DCinDC

DCinDC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24913

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:00 PM

FWIW...The Golf Shop is owned by Dicks.  The odd thing is that it's often more expensive then Dick's and there's a Dick's store in the big mall next door.

My general impression of The Golf Shop is that the selection is good, the people are nice, but the prices are noticeably bad.

That said, I may be headed over there to check out their launch monitor... :aggressive:

Best of luck!

#9 sheffield

sheffield

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4499
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:50 PM

They do have an impressive selection but as someone mentioned no Ping stuff except for some used clubs.  The staff there pretty much stay out of your way and let you use the hitting areas with no problems.  However, as I recall, the launch monitor I used was a simulator that while it measured launch angle and ball speed and computed trajectory/distance, did NOT provide spin rates; I found this to be a problem as I was trying to find an OptiFit combination that got my spin rate down on the FT-3 (last summer).

#10 Goldenhawk

Goldenhawk

Major Winner

• 2,781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7653
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:19 PM

The Golf Shop is Dicks Sporting Good's experiment before and during their purchase of Golf Galaxy.  It is designed to sell a lot of golf apparel and soft goods.  Apparently this is where the $$$ is made in golf shops; not in selling clubs and balls.

TM SLDR 10.5* Driver Matrix XCon 5
Adams Super XTD Ti 14.5* Wood Fubuki AX
Adams Super XTD Ti 19* Hybrid Fubuki AX
TM SLDR Irons 4 to AW, KBS C-Taper 90
Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
TM xFT Wedges, 56* and 60*

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 ratpack

ratpack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29770

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

It's a large store with a lot of clothes.  They will also let you use Dick's Sporting Goods gift cards and the email coupons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors