Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping's Color Codes

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OnFire

OnFire

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25492
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:04 PM

I did a brief search to find what the old Ping color codes mean for their old irons and I can't seem to find any info on it. All I found was something saying they have a new color code system with 3 colors. Does anyone have any info on the old color codes for their irons?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 TigerFrank

TigerFrank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6076
  • Ebay ID:tazgolfer04
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

what do you need to know?  

Black = standard
Blue = 1* up
Green = 2* up
____ = 3* up (forgot)
Silver = 4* up

#3 OnFire

OnFire

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

View PostTigerFrank, on Jul 8 2007, 02:12 PM, said:

what do you need to know?  

Black = standard
Blue = 1* up
Green = 2* up
____ = 3* up (forgot)
Silver = 4* up

Isn't there colors that go the other way? 1* down, etc?

What about the color Red? I picked up an old eye 2 3 iron and it is red and it feels perfect. IN the past I always thought I was a standard (black) because I am pretty average stature - 5-11 185 lbs.

Also, is there an Orange?

Edited by OnFire, 08 July 2007 - 03:23 PM.

#4 pwrfade

pwrfade

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16127
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

To fill in the blank from above - white is the color for 3 degrees up - Red is 1 degree flat - and Orange is 2 degrees flat off standard for that particular set - the colors are static in terms of their deviation from standard lie - but be sure to look at the specs for the specific Ping irons you are looking at - some of the models differ slightly in their 'standard' lie angles

#5 sandwedge59

sandwedge59

Tour Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32659
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

the other Ping color codes are .. that were not listed

White 3 up , Maroon  5 up

Brown.  3 flat ,  Gold  4 flat

#6 OnFire

OnFire

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:02 PM

View Postsandwedge59, on Jul 8 2007, 03:37 PM, said:

the other Ping color codes are .. that were not listed

White 3 up , Maroon  5 up

Brown.  3 flat ,  Gold  4 flat

Do you think those colors tend to represent a certian size person more consitently? Like black = usually a 5-11-6 foot guy, red for such and such height, etc. Or are they more geared toward simply how you swing?

#7 sbrylant

sbrylant

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17149
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

it all depends on your swing...i'm between 6 foot & 6'1" and play green dot in my current set (2* upright).  i bought a new set of S58s in black dot (standard lie...under advice from a club fitter) & push everything.  not sure which set fits me best, but i've obviously taught myself to hit the green dots...and the black dots i push everything.

#8 omahajack

omahajack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13938

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

By the way, according to Ping the mojority of golfers fit in the green color code, blue next (close 2nd to green - almost the same), then back third, 4th is red.

When doing the online fitting, I fall in the blue color code.  But , in real life - swing the clubs, etc, I found that back fits ne the best.

If you have a dealer/pro shop that has a fitting cart, take a couple of them out.  Get the tape for the face as well as bottom, Go hit balls on a driving range.  You know pretty quick which one is right.

One thing that is taken for granted, and not emphasized enough is the length of the club.  Make sure you have the correct length.  If the length is out of whack, the correct code code is probably out of whack as well.  

Lastly, call the Ping 800#.  You will find them to be very helpful.

#9 OnFire

OnFire

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

View Postomahajack, on Jul 8 2007, 05:24 PM, said:

By the way, according to Ping the mojority of golfers fit in the green color code, blue next (close 2nd to green - almost the same), then back third, 4th is red.

When doing the online fitting, I fall in the blue color code.  But , in real life - swing the clubs, etc, I found that back fits ne the best.

If you have a dealer/pro shop that has a fitting cart, take a couple of them out.  Get the tape for the face as well as bottom, Go hit balls on a driving range.  You know pretty quick which one is right.

One thing that is taken for granted, and not emphasized enough is the length of the club.  Make sure you have the correct length.  If the length is out of whack, the correct code code is probably out of whack as well.  

Lastly, call the Ping 800#.  You will find them to be very helpful.

Length is crucial. I'm about to cut a cheap old set of clubs off for my girl. I'm not sure exactly how small to cut them, but she is several inches shorter than me.

#10 FreakinA

FreakinA

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29698
  • Ebay ID:none

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

Im 6 feet exactly and play a blue. My dad is about 6'3" and plays silver. It all has to do with arms legs and total height. IMO get fitted.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 scratchskier

scratchskier

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16752

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

These are the real color codes...
Gold 4 flat
Brown 3 flat
Orange 2 flat
Red 1 flat
Black Standard
Blue 1 up
Green 2 up
White 3 up
Silver 4 up
Maroon 5 up

#12 hoosiervolunteer

hoosiervolunteer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7380
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:03 PM

I'm 6'4" and play blues +1/2".  It's always been that for me.  It's all in how you swing it and if you need correction in ball flight.  A buddy is 5'11" and plays greens to correct his fade.  Get fit for your Pings.  It's what the company was founded on and it really works.

#13 dwhatfield

dwhatfield

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1256

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

5'10" here and play Orange with shafts  1/2" shorter than standard.  Ordered my Tour Wedges to my specs as well.

When I bought my first set of Pings, these were my measurements.  On my second set, I was refit....and everything was the same as the first set.

#14 gatorsteve

gatorsteve

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16991

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:14 PM

I just did the web fit and it says im a green dot. How would the 2* upright affect me?

steve

Edited by Gators, 08 July 2007 - 09:14 PM.

#15 sbrylant

sbrylant

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17149

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

the affect of 2* upright (assuming you're playing standard lie irons now) should make you draw the ball.

#16 OnFire

OnFire

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:30 AM

Ping's are so sweet. I was leaning toward all Mizuno for a lot of my new equipment (I play almost all Tommy Armour stuff right now, 845s the best selling irons of all time) but I think I might go all Ping. I had a set of original Eye's and those things felt sweet. I want a set of Eye 2's.

#17 MojoEd

MojoEd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4344

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:53 AM

OnFire - If you are looking at older ping irons, take a look at the stats for the particular model you are interested in on ping's website, www.pinggolf.com under irons/classics.  Based on some of the older models, it looks like the standard lie angle was approximately 1 degree more upright than their current standard.  (E.g. A blue dot i5 6 iron will have the same lie angle as a black dot ISI 6 iron - 62.5 degrees.)  For more information, you can also call their customer service line - 1.800.474.6434.

Edited by MojoEd, 09 July 2007 - 11:54 AM.

#18 stevestrike

stevestrike

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28481
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

Here you go...

Just FYI, we have a conspiracy theory that the Ping color codes are designed for hackers, and not for players (since they mostly make duffer clubs).  My bet is that the color codes fit your typical average (95+) golfer with an over the top, steep swing.  When your swing flattens out, I don't think you can go by those colors anymore.  A true fitting by a professional is the only way to go.

My $.02

Attached Images

• ping_color_chart.jpg
  • ping_grip_chart.jpg

Edited by stevestrike, 09 July 2007 - 12:33 PM.

#19 Noley

Noley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19516

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

View Postscratchskier, on Jul 9 2007, 01:34 AM, said:

Gold 4 flat
Brown 3 flat
Orange 2 flat
Red 1 flat
Black Standard
Blue 1 up
Green 2 up
White 3 up
Silver 4 up
Maroon 5 up

This post is spot on. By the way their online fitting process is an excellent starting point if you're honest and accurate with your answers. Once you complete the online part, print if off and bring it to an outdoor fitting session. They should be able to get you dialled in pretty quick. Oh by the way don't leave until you're absolutely happy, I got badly misfit by a Ping rep a long time ago for a set of I3s with terrible results, turned me off custom fitting for a very long time!

#20 woodlandsgolfer

woodlandsgolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15345

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:40 PM

View PostNoley, on Jul 9 2007, 12:41 PM, said:

View Postscratchskier, on Jul 9 2007, 01:34 AM, said:

Gold 4 flat
Brown 3 flat
Orange 2 flat
Red 1 flat
Black Standard
Blue 1 up
Green 2 up
White 3 up
Silver 4 up
Maroon 5 up

This post is spot on. By the way their online fitting process is an excellent starting point if you're honest and accurate with your answers. Once you complete the online part, print if off and bring it to an outdoor fitting session. They should be able to get you dialled in pretty quick. Oh by the way don't leave until you're absolutely happy, I got badly misfit by a Ping rep a long time ago for a set of I3s with terrible results, turned me off custom fitting for a very long time!

I just did the online process and it was quite off.  It said that I should be 3* up (white) as I am 6' with 36.5" wrist to floor.  Unfortunately, I am actually way off of that.  I have some MP-30's that I just had rechecked and rebent and I am 4-5* flat.  And MP-30's come flatter than most clubs anyways.  6 iron is 60* vs. S58's 61.5*.

I'm not saying that Ping is full of it but it doesn't work for all people.  What you really need is a dynamic fitting instead of static.  Dynamic meaning you hit one, bend it, hit one, bend it, and repeat until everything is dialed in.

I believe when getting fit for clubs that you should hit every single club to determine the correct lie angle for each club.  Some will disagree.  My clubmaker doesn't, he insists that I hit each one until its perfect.  He says that he doesn't care if one club is 2* flat and the next is 4* flat, he wants what works.

By the way, the guy that is 2006 Fitter of the Year for Ping is a great guy who I took lessons from back in high school.  If you're in the Houston area, he is one of the best.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 ebenn

ebenn

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20472
  • Ebay ID:elliot630

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

View Poststevestrike, on Jul 9 2007, 12:30 PM, said:

Here you go...

Just FYI, we have a conspiracy theory that the Ping color codes are designed for hackers, and not for players (since they mostly make duffer clubs).  My bet is that the color codes fit your typical average (95+) golfer with an over the top, steep swing.  When your swing flattens out, I don't think you can go by those colors anymore.  A true fitting by a professional is the only way to go.

My $.02

I am hoping I was reading sarcasism in your statement. Ping makes mostly duffer clubs? Seriously? Then why is Chris DiMarco, Angel Cabrerra, Tim Herron and others playing these duffer clubs then? Maybe their fittings don't match with the color coding system. As tour players their clubs have to be fit more exactly, but come on. You can't make a statment like that.

I have been reading comments on this site about the "elitist attitude" some of the posters on this board have and today I actually feel the same way. Get over yourself. If it wasn't for the "duffers" and "hackers" companies from Titleist to Mizuno to Ping wouldn't be in business.  And although I don't know this posters name, I don't think I have seen his name on any leader boads lately.
Get over yourself. This is a game to be enjoyed by hacks and pros alike. Comments like the one above really make me wonder why I paid money to support this site.

And also, you can't get fit off of an online chart. Getting fit by a certified fitter, while hitting balls etc is the only way to be fit. I was fit by a Ping fitter in Phoenix. I am 5'10 and am 3* up, White. I am hitting the ball better than I ever have, thinking I was flat, Black

Edited by ebenn, 09 July 2007 - 02:51 PM.

#22 stevestrike

stevestrike

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

View Postebenn, on Jul 9 2007, 02:27 PM, said:

I have been reading comments on this site about the "elitist attitude" some of the posters on this board have and today I actually feel the same way. Get over yourself. If it wasn't for the "duffers" and "hackers" companies from Titleist to Mizuno to Ping wouldn't be in business.  And although I don't know this posters name, I don't think I have seen his name on any leader boads lately.
Get over yourself. This is a game to be enjoyed by hacks and pros alike. Comments like the one above really make me wonder why I paid money to support this site.
The only attitude is yours, buddy.  I'm not sure what you read into my post, but it's in your head.  I don't have a problem with duffers or hackers, and I never claimed to be anything other myself.  Sheesh, take a chill pill.

You probably do swing your fitted clubs better than you did before--that's what a fitting is for.  My point, which you clearly missed, is that I believe Ping's color codes are "better" for poor swings.  No pro, or serious golfer for that matter, is going to go by a chart to get fitted.  That being said, your average Joe who plays occasionally and likely has a bad golf swing with poor mechanics will be served well by Ping's color code charts.  This is a Good Thing™ for Ping in that they are catering to their market.  

I have a set of Ping clubs, which I like very much, and I never claimed them to be somehow not good enough.  Get off your high horse.

#23 ebenn

ebenn

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

Not to harp, but that is not what your post said. You clearly said that Ping color codes are for duffers. If anyone is going to buy clubs based on a chart...then yes...they are idiots. I would hope that someone taking the time to look into custom fitting would also take the next step and get fit.  I did not miss the point of the post. For you to say Ping makes clubs primarily for duffers is asinine. Your fitting statements are valid but when followed by that statement you lose credibility.

#24 OnFire

OnFire

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:48 PM

Chill, people.

Calcavechia uses Eye 2's and I believe he has his entire career. He recently WON on tour. Ping is a damn good product. Plus they don't import their metal (nor does Mizuno) and those are the only 2 companies that don't, so the guy at Golf Galaxy said that ensures you don't get dead clubs like some other companies.

Furthermore, Eye 2's are the second best selling irons of all time (2nd to TA 845s, which I have played for the last 10 years), so there you have it.

#25 stevestrike

stevestrike

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

I own (and play with) a set of Ping Eye 2's.

I stand by my statement that Ping's primary business is to the average/weekend golfer.  This says nothing to reflect on the quality of their clubs.  But they push the G5/Rapture line of game-improvement clubs, and that's what the color dot system is also designed for.

/chilled

#26 OnFire

OnFire

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:06 PM

View Poststevestrike, on Jul 9 2007, 03:01 PM, said:

I stand by my statement that Ping's primary business is to the average/weekend golfer.  This says nothing to reflect on the quality of their clubs.  But they push the G5/Rapture line of game-improvement clubs, and that's what the color dot system is also designed for.

/chilled

Yeah, I think I understand what you're saying. They aren't hell bent on making blade type imposible to hit irons, and the like. You're right, all the money lies with the bumbs (who are the majority of golfers, lord knows) because they are the stiffs trying to improve the most. I mean that in a NICE way. I play to around a 7, so I have no desire to change up every friggin month like some people. The majority of tinkering I have done lately has been in the wood department -- irons and wedges I haven't changed for years.

I'm leaning toward going to Ping woods, however., and yes, like I said, I think I'm in love with eye 2's all of a sudden.

Edited by OnFire, 09 July 2007 - 04:09 PM.

#27 ebenn

ebenn

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

View Poststevestrike, on Jul 9 2007, 04:01 PM, said:

/chilled

double chilled

I get what you are saying. In that respect you are correct. They certainly invented the game improvement club and that is where their bread and butter is made.
I played the weekend with a friend who plays to a 10.0...not a hack at all and he just shelved his eye 2's for raptures and I asked him why he went to a game improvement club...so I am arguing your point as well....
While I would love to be able to hit and play a forged blade..there is no way in heck I could...therefore I play pings.......
Didn't mean to stir the pot  :russian_roulette:

#28 brad

brad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33807
  • Ebay ID:mtbbones

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:53 PM

This is obvious advise and restated... but definitely get a custom fitting session done, hitting on a range so a certified fitter can see your ball flight.

I did the web-fit and came out as a blue, z-z65 shaft.

I had a custom fitting done yesterday and came out as a silver/white mix.  Big difference.  It even surprised the pro.

I just ordered a set of Ping S-58 4-W in a silver/white mix, and a Rapture 9degree driver.  Sooooo excited.  I don't even want to look at my old irons :russian_roulette:

b.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors