Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What's your "hidden gem" golf course?

133 replies to this topic

#121 Chip Out Sideways

Chip Out Sideways

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30711
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

johnstitch, on 23 May 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

I'll start with Southerness and Silloth, one either side of the Solway Firth. Southerness is only 50 mins from the main London to Glasgow motorway but might as well be on the Moon. Superbly kept and very difficult championship standard links course. Their members pay around $550 a year. Simple clubhouse, good beer and great catering. Used for national championships and nobody takes the place apart, even on a calm day. Par 69 and 6600 odd yards. I once shot a net 75 and got my hcp cut. It is a fair but enjoyably tough test. Silloth is another super value course with fees of under $700 yet good enough to host the English Amateur.
Hidden greens, brutal heather and gorse, testing greens and stunning scenery. A great mix of holes and a at least one 9 will be into the wind. The Blue tees measure 6750, which is not long but three of them require a minimum 200 yard carry over severe rough.
Other courses within 100 miles of me that are superb yet affordable include Brancpeth Castle (H S Colt), Lanark (an inland links) and Powfoot, part links, part parkland with some superb par 3s and a very stout finish.

All of those on my list to play.  Other side on the country I strongly recommend Berwick upon Tweed (also known as Goswick). Another old school outstanding links that is very good value and is an Open Qualifying course.  It is cheap as it quite a drive from anywhere (pretty much halfway between Newcastle and Edinburgh and directly off the A1).

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 iyi4iyian

iyi4iyian

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 269200
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

tnels20, on 21 May 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

Ace Underhill, on 09 May 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

I would have to say with the Golfnow app, I have found many "hidden gems" due to some great deals. Best I would say is a nice course called Table Creek near Nebraska City off Hwy. 2 about 45 min. east of Lincoln. I have played many rounds there for less than $20 for 18 & cart. Course was always in real good condition last summer. I just checked now and they have some $13 deals for this weekend. Insane. Their website is even impressive. http://www.tablecreek.com/

Posted Image

Thanks for posting.  I've always noticed it on there but never actually set up a time.  Looks like I will have to get out there sometime soon.

seeing rounds for this cheap makes me want to vomit...rounds in NY cost an arm and a leg!
Driver: Taylormade M3 - 10.5º - Fuji Black Tour Spec 6s
Fairway: Taylormade M4 - 15º - Hzrdus Red 6.0
Hybrid: Taylormade TP UDI - 18º - C-Taper Lite 110 S
Irons: Taylormade P790 4-6 & P770 7-PW - DGTI S400
Wedges: Taylormade Milled Grind - 50º & 55º and Hi-Toe 60º DGTI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron - X7M - 34 inches - Tour Black

#123 masemoney

masemoney

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311923
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:50 PM

Any course I can tee it up with my dad and brother. Is a hidden gem

#124 gvogel

gvogel

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 2127

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

ephmen, on 14 May 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

Taconic Golf Club, Williams College, Williamstown, MA. Go EPHS!

I concur.  (See post #15.)
On Sundays, I used to play hickory

#125 GBglfr

GBglfr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176702
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

My first gem is well known locally but would probably get scoffs from outsiders, its our county course Brown County.  Plays about 6800 from tips, is quintessential woodlands golf, and just recently renovated every green to perfection. Its worth the search in northeast Wisconsin.

My other course is truly a hidden gem as its hard to find and always empty. That would be eagle creek in hortonville wi. Its a spectacular layout with lots of distance. Also helps that its normally in pristine shape due to lack of play. The only downside is the green structure. Some think its gimmicky and unfair. Welp, everyone has to play the same greens so I say get over it and enjoy the value. Normally play 18 w/ cart for under 40$, many times under 30$.

#126 Brettasaurus

Brettasaurus

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93148
  • Ebay ID:edwardthemonarch73
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

oldflgolfer, on 11 May 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

Sarabay in Sarasota
Golf Club of Oklahoma in Tulsa

Both are outstanding tests of golf
The Golf Club of Oklahoma is my home course. It's out in the "country" and private but it is a great Tom Fazio design. The back 9 is more visually striking but I prefer the front 9 for its subtleties. A 280 yard tee shot on the Par 5 8th leaves you with this for a second shot;

Attached Thumbnails

• Golf Club.jpg

Edited by Brettasaurus, 28 May 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#127 scagnetti

scagnetti

Haq Attaq

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426148
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:29 PM

private courses shouldn't count as a 'hidden gem' as they are immediately inaccessible...

I've a few to recommend, for LA city dwellers, a weekday round at Roosevelt in Griffith Park across from The Greek Theatre is always fun, fast and affordable...

Back in my family's home in Kansas City, Missouri, a couple munis come to mind, Shoal Creek up north of the river, and Swope Memorial out south in Swope park. I have an irrational love for Minor Park, but I know people hate it...

And one more random course, if ever in Manila, Philippines, you will likely be playing 30-60 minutes outside the city, north or south, and if you find your way out south, in Cavite, there's a tiny little place that is just wonderful, South Forbes Golf Club, which can be played with a cart and a caddie (w/o tip) for about $15 USD...

Incidentally, Sugarloaf Social Club has a similar list of courses that can be found across the USA at their site HERE
Asia Bag

Sun Mountain 2015 C-130 Cart Bag
PING Anser 10* Grafalloy ProForce Blue 65-X
Callaway Bertha Mini D13* Aldila Rogue Silver 65-X
PING Anser 17* 4W Matrix Ozik XCon6-X
Wilson/Staff D-100 22*/4h  Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S
Wilson/Staff FG Tour M3 4-PW DG S300
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52* & 58* DG Wedge-Spinner
Never Compromise Gambler Limited 35"

#128 leftyDH04

leftyDH04

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 514716
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:38 PM

I'd say Stone Ridge outside of Eagle Point, Oregon fits the bill.  Local's favorite, but unfortunately the conditioning has been sliding off over the years.

#129 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 24531

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:30 AM

There are over 200 public courses in the Chicago area (i.e. < 90 miles from downtown). We have some excellent courses, and a ton of OK munis. My pick for hidden gem would be  Longwood GC in south suburban Crete. Illinois is the 2nd flattest state in the country next to Florida, so finding any significant elevation changes east of the Mississippi River valley is tough. While it's certainly no mountain course, Longwood has more elevation that your typical Chicago course. I believe the course is family owned, and conditioning can be spotty. However, peak weekend rates are only $30 walking, and $36 with cart. After 11 am it's only $24 to walk. By comparison, most of the municipal courses in the area charge more than $50 to walk.

An honorable mention would go to PrairieView GC in Byron, IL. Weekend rates are $42 w/ cart, and the course can be walked during the week for $18.

#130 Carl Spackler3

Carl Spackler3

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136528
GolfWRX Likes : 572

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:35 PM

Eagle Chase in Marshville, NC

Titleist 915 D2
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping G25 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
Vokey 52-08 sm4
Vokey 56-14 sm6
Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#131 DeeBee30

DeeBee30

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 514494
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:38 AM

Argonne - interesting to hear Longwood mentioned.  I've played it a few times over the last few years and always thought it was certainly a diamond in the rough.  As you said, nice elevation changes - which is fairly rare around here - and it's a great deal (as you're likely to find down South).  I talked to the GM there a few weeks ago and he said they're trying to attract more play - specifically, offering an annual unlimited membership for $1250 and a "value" membership for $200/yr + $16 per round.

Don't know if you know this, but the course has been for sale for quite a while.  It went into receivership a few years ago and is currently owned by the bank.  Maybe we should get a group of WRXers to pool together a few hundred grand.  Tough business to be in these days, but it would be interesting to see if it could turn a small profit.
Couple of woods
OG Rescue club
Some irons
Fistful of wedges
Flat stick
Some balls
Shop Pride Evolution Striped Plastic 2-3/4" tees
Kapalua Color Magic Minuteman repair tool
2001 & 2003 state quarter ball markers

#132 runningdog

runningdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 414098
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:38 PM

There are a lot, but the one that sticks out is the Machrie Links on the island of Islay (Scotland). It's the only course on the island and most of the people who visit (there aren't really that many, as it's a bit of a pain to get to) are there to drink scotch.  I did both and couldn't have enjoyed Machrie more.  My friend carried the bag and the flask and we walked the course and were the only ones out there.  Definitely worth bringing the clubs if you're in the area (...and play Machrihanish and Machrihanish Dunes before you get on the ferry in Cambeltown).

#133 FairwayFred

FairwayFred

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 3,549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149
GolfWRX Likes : 1907

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:34 AM

runningdog, on 25 November 2018 - 10:38 PM, said:

There are a lot, but the one that sticks out is the Machrie Links on the island of Islay (Scotland). It's the only course on the island and most of the people who visit (there aren't really that many, as it's a bit of a pain to get to) are there to drink scotch.  I did both and couldn't have enjoyed Machrie more.  My friend carried the bag and the flask and we walked the course and were the only ones out there.  Definitely worth bringing the clubs if you're in the area (...and play Machrihanish and Machrihanish Dunes before you get on the ferry in Cambeltown).

Did you play the new Machrie or the old?  They just completely redid the course.

If your in the area don't miss Dunaverty in Southend (just south of Campbeltown) it's on land that would make Pebble Beach jealous.
FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
ari@nationalcustomworks.com
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

#134 silver504

silver504

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts