Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What's your "hidden gem" golf course?

133 replies to this topic

#1 HipCheck

HipCheck

Up the Irons!

• Marshals
  • 5,962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1164

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

Technically this is not the proper forum for this, but we wanted to get some eyeballs on it from membership.  We're willing to bet there are a few WRX members that have their own "Hidden Gem" course and we'd like you to share the story in the thread below. Andrew is one of our writers and approached us with the concept.  There's a course on Hawaii where the greens fees are 15 bucks?  If you don't have any golf balls, they'll just give them to you?  Rarely do we publish on both the front page and forums, but we're sure there are stories out there.  Hopefully you enjoy it and will share yours.

Posted Image

What's your hidden gem?
By Andrew Tursky

Golf is expensive. I know, quite the earth-shattering observation. But seriously, golf is so expensive that it’s driving people away from the game and keeping newcomers out of it. The last thing a beginner wants to do is drop a thousands of dollars on a set of clubs and spend an additional $100 every time to tee it up. It can be frustrating and financially draining.

So where can golfers play at a decent price and still have a great experience? You just have to know where to look.

There are courses around the world that offer amazing scenery and intriguing layouts without burning through your wallet. These are the diamonds in the rough, the hidden gems. They’re the hole-in-the-wall pizzerias that have way better food than the over-priced, sit-down Italian restaurant with the long wait and pretentious vibes.
A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of playing one of these courses with my dad.

At the North Shore of Oahu, there sits a large field of green grass adjacent to the beautiful Hawaiian ocean. On this patch of land are randomly scattered checkered flag sticks stuck into four and a quarter-inch, round holes. They call this area of grass, sticks and holes Kahuku Golf Course.

Posted Image

My description is being slightly facetious, of course. Kahuku does have distinguishable greens, bunkers and fairways. It is, however, rudimentary in nature.

The clubhouse would compare more readily to a chicken coop than a functioning pro shop, but it truly captures the character of a hidden gem.

My dad, being on vacation in Hawaii, didn’t have any golf balls with him, so he asked to buy a sleeve inside the “pro shop.” The manager, a Hawaiian native, said they don’t sell golf balls. Instead, he put a box of used golf balls on the counter and told us to take a couple, and to “just give them back if you don’t lose them.” Yes, he really said that.

We asked if we needed a tee time. He pointed to the first tee and said to go after the group teeing off. We paid the $15 dollar greens fees (no typo) and slung some clubs over our shoulders. It all seemed so simple.
The course itself, although it only has nine holes that you play twice in order to play a full 18, had nothing but interesting holes and phenomenal views: a few drivable par fours, long par 5′s and challenging par 3′s right on the water. We kept our camera’s handy throughout the round. Even at a resort course with $200 greens fees, the cameras can usually stay safe in their case aside from the signature holes.

This is what a hidden gem looks like, and we’re on a mission to find more golf courses around the world just like it. We want to hear your story, see your pictures, and get informed about the less expensive options to play golf without sacrificing the golfing experience.

If you have a hidden gem, or a somewhat run-down course you like to play, please share your story below.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ThunderBuzzworth

ThunderBuzzworth

Hulk... Smash!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132069
  • Handicap:+3
GolfWRX Likes : 2079

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

Rundown course that I like to play in metro Detroit is Richmond Forest. Any given day the greens fees are less than $20 and the layout of the course is fantastic. With some lengthening and a little tlc I am convinced they could hold a big tournament. It is kind of in a town but off the beaten path at the same time. It is just far enough away that a lot of golfers in my area won't travel to play it. The green complexes are challenging and there is a great mix of holes out there with a 630 yard par 5 to challenge even the longest hitters. The practice facility is quite nice except that the range balls are mostly old top flite and such.

Edited by ThunderBuzzworth, 09 May 2014 - 01:50 PM.

Current WITB

Taylormade 2016 M1 7.8* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
Titleist 917 F3 15* (Tensei Pro white 90tx)
Titleist 716 TMB 19* (DG X100)
Callaway 18 X Forged 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 130)
Titleist Vokey SM6 50F black (x100)
Titleist Vokey TVD 55K black (x100)
Titleist Vokey SM7 60D black (x100)
Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34
Srixon Z Star XV 17 Yellow

#3 CTSpinDoctor

CTSpinDoctor

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284316
  • Handicap:Bad
  • Ebay ID:thebiddersbidder15
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

In Connecticut:
Fenwick $20 for 9.. really cool course.
Shennecossett: $1500 membership abuut $35 for 18. Nice Muni
Ping G400 Lst 10* HZRDUS Red TI 6.5 62g
Titleist 917f2 16.5 Addi 8x
iBlade 3-P X100
Ping Glide 50ss 54ss 58ts s400
Machine M8 ProV1X

#4 LeftRightLeftRight

LeftRightLeftRight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309051
  • Handicap:14.3
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

Northern California
Gleneagles in San Francisco.  http://www.gleneagle...bn2u7d1pdxq2yl9
Sharp Park in Pacifica.  Alister MacKenzie course!
Plumas Lakes G&CC in Olivehurst is inexpensive with good greens and an interesting layout.

#5 nebatty

nebatty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39204
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

Wildhorse in Gothenburg, Nebraska.  Costs about $45 for 18 holes and a cart.  Links style golf at the edge of the sandhills.  The course always looks great.  Accessible to the public and definitely a poor mans Sandhills.  Minus the ocean, it compares favorably to Bandon Dunes.

#6 thegooddoctor

thegooddoctor

My bad holes are just me getting my money's worth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103380
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

1. Not run down by any means but Pekin IL ( Home of DA Points), Lick Creek around 27 to walk for out of towner for a challenging beautiful course with bent grass fairways and greens.

2. Elks Club, Pontiac IL: Well maintained beautiful bent grass course with excellent layout, half way house, great bar and the friendliest people. We play a ryder cup style event there every year and they couldnt be nicer. I believe greens fees are around 30 bucks

3. In northern indiana, the brassie 42 with a cart beautiful course with beautiful views

4. In Akron OH, 10 dollar to walk as many as you want after 4= Goodpark, very fun course with lightning greens, owner has changed since I moved away hope still kept up.
Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

#7 Phreddy

Phreddy

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 273961
GolfWRX Likes : 566

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

Between the thriving northern Wisconsin metropolises of Clam Lake and Cable is Forest Ridges.  The course is carved out of the Chequamegon National Forest and plays at about 6000 yards The afternoon weekday rate is $20 for 9 holes.  But, when I arrive around 4 PM they generally say, "We are leaving around 6.  Take a cart, play as many as you like and leave the key by the door."

#8 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17517

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

D.W. Fields in Brockton, MA. $27 to walk 18 holes. It's not in the best shape, as the city takes most of the revenue, but they work hard to keep it playable.

For the Boston area it is a real bargain, and there are some interesting holes.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#9 LaBraeGolfer

LaBraeGolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127471
  • Handicap:7.3
  • Ebay ID:dakotalabrae
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Okay, so it a little drive 45 minutes and it is very cheap like most courses in the area (We are the Myrtle Beach of the North Warren/Youngstown Ohio, so many quality courses under like $30 with a cart). I have found the conditions rival any courses in my immediate area for half the cost. Early mornings weekends it maxes out at $38 Riding, but many times it is $25 and under for 18 and a cart. I have found the course a blast to play as there is a little strategy involved, but there are a good amount of holes where you can open up the throttle and let it go. I had a hard time finding images, so I will try to respond in the future with more images.

Ping K15 9.5 Matrix Radix 6S
Adams F11 Ti 15 UST Elements Wind 6F4
Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy 17 & 23 Stock Stiff
Ping i15 5-UW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 54/SS and 58/SS CFS Wedge
Ping Redwood Anser

#10 Ace Underhill

Ace Underhill

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266600
  • Handicap:14.4
GolfWRX Likes : 255

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

I would have to say with the Golfnow app, I have found many "hidden gems" due to some great deals. Best I would say is a nice course called Table Creek near Nebraska City off Hwy. 2 about 45 min. east of Lincoln. I have played many rounds there for less than $20 for 18 & cart. Course was always in real good condition last summer. I just checked now and they have some $13 deals for this weekend. Insane. Their website is even impressive. http://www.tablecreek.com/

Posted Image

Edited by Ace Underhill, 09 May 2014 - 04:36 PM.

Callaway Mini Big Bertha driver- 12*
TM Burner Superfast 2.0- 3 wood 15*
Cobra Baffler T-Rail+ 3 hybrid- 19*
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
Bridgestone J40 wedges- 52*, 56*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Banker

Banker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54006
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

View Postthegooddoctor, on 09 May 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

1. Not run down by any means but Pekin IL ( Home of DA Points), Lick Creek around 27 to walk for out of towner for a challenging beautiful course with bent grass fairways and greens.

2. Elks Club, Pontiac IL: Well maintained beautiful bent grass course with excellent layout, half way house, great bar and the friendliest people. We play a ryder cup style event there every year and they couldnt be nicer. I believe greens fees are around 30 bucks

3. In northern indiana, the brassie 42 with a cart beautiful course with beautiful views

4. In Akron OH, 10 dollar to walk as many as you want after 4= Goodpark, very fun course with lightning greens, owner has changed since I moved away hope still kept up.

I remember playing Goodpark with my Grandpa when I was a kid.  That was 30+ years ago.  Fun memories
M1 10.5*
RBZ Stage 2 14*
Adams Idea Pro 18*
Ping I25 3-UW
Ping Tour S 54* & 60*
Piretti CW II

#12 chriss

chriss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19329
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

A couple of weeks ago I spend 5 days in Ireland playing golf and came across two real gems on the south west coast of the island.
The fist one goes by the name of Dooks. Its a 125 years of age course built right into the the atlantic ocean. When you reach the highest point of the area, you can see the ocean 180 around you. Just spectacular! Gofingwise it is nothing too special, but the landscape ist jutst splendit. And all this great scenario for just 60 which ist roughly half the money you spend on similar courses in that area.

My second gem is the cashin course. The little brother of the world famous Ballyunion course. If you were to vistit this part of the world youd probably want to play Ballybunion anyway but youd also make a big mistake to miss out on this glorious golf course, especialy as it only costs 15 in the package with the big one.
Spectacular views and architecture wise in parts even better than at least the front nine of its big brother.
And again, given that its only 15 it is form the value for money perspective the best course ive ever played by a country mile!!!
After just a cpoulpe holes you just got that feeling that you just had discovered something way more worth than just 15.

I hope you enjoyed my discriptions. Please excuse some mistakes as i am german and too lazy to spell check all of this 😉

Pics to follow

Edited by chriss, 09 May 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#13 Banker

Banker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54006
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Chiefland Country Club.  It's not scenic by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it some long lost Donald Ross..... but it's $20 to ride 18 & it's always in good shape.  Best draining course in Florida, which is important this time of the year...
M1 10.5*
RBZ Stage 2 14*
Adams Idea Pro 18*
Ping I25 3-UW
Ping Tour S 54* & 60*
Piretti CW II

#14 gvogel

gvogel

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 2124

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hidden Gem?  Grover Cleveland in Buffalo.  Most of it was the Country Club of Buffalo when it hosted the US Open in 1912, but a couple of good holes were added by Donald Ross before he designed the "new" CCB course in the 1920's.  A couple of bad holes were cobbled in when they built the VA Hospital in the '50's.

Bring your hickories and play it for $18 weekdays, $21 weekends.
On Sundays, I used to play hickory

#15 gvogel

gvogel

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 2124

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

I've got one more hidden gem: Taconic Golf Course in williamstown MA.

You can play it for $145.  Why would that be a deal?  Well, back in the 1970's, Taconic was in the top 50 golf courses as ranked by Golf Magazine.  It hosted an NCAA Championship when Jack Nicklaus, Phil Rodgers and Tommy Aaron were collegians.  If you are the sort that likes to play top 100 golf courses, this is a hidden gem.  $145 would compare to $375 at The Greenbrier, $435 for the stay and play at the Upper Cascades course, and other courses of that ilk.  I think that you'll have as much fun or more at Taconic, in a more relaxed atmosphere.

The course fell off the nationals consciousness because it was not kept in great shape; but in 2006 Gil Hanse went in, took out trees, reshaped and moved a few bunkers.  The 17th green has been in use since 1897, if you are into that sort of thing (I am).  Heck, I always thought that it was one of my favorite courses to play in the '80's, but now it's better.  Scenic, with some fine holes around a creek, and some great holes up and down from a ridge, with views of the Taconic and Berkshire mountain ranges - you will not be disappointed.  And don't be hesitant to move up a set of tee markers on the back nine to keep the fun level at max.

Edited by gvogel, 09 May 2014 - 05:47 PM.

On Sundays, I used to play hickory

#16 boxerjoe2011

boxerjoe2011

Oh Billy!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93762
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 256

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

I love playing your hidden gem early in the morning before they start letting out 5somes of 20+ handicaps.  You can walk it for cheap and often times play in 3 hours or so and then have the rest of your day off to yourself.  I also love the bars at hidden gems.  They are usually full of die hard golf fans that have been playing golf for over 30 years.  Love it.

#17 Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101025
  • Ebay ID:juleswinnfield0
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

View Postchriss, on 09 May 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

A couple of weeks ago I spend 5 days in Ireland playing golf and came across two real gems on the south west coast of the island.
The fist one goes by the name of Dooks. Its a 125 years of age course built right into the the atlantic ocean. When you reach the highest point of the area, you can see the ocean 180 around you. Just spectacular! Gofingwise it is nothing too special, but the landscape ist jutst splendit. And all this great scenario for just 60 which ist roughly half the money you spend on similar courses in that area.

My second gem is the cashin course. The little brother of the world famous Ballyunion course. If you were to vistit this part of the world youd probably want to play Ballybunion anyway but youd also make a big mistake to miss out on this glorious golf course, especialy as it only costs 15 in the package with the big one.
Spectacular views and architecture wise in parts even better than at least the front nine of its big brother.
And again, given that its only 15 it is form the value for money perspective the best course ive ever played by a country mile!!!
After just a cpoulpe holes you just got that feeling that you just had discovered something way more worth than just 15.

I hope you enjoyed my discriptions. Please excuse some mistakes as i am german and too lazy to spell check all of this 😉

Pics to follow

Dooks is one of my favorite courses in the world.

Love their logo too.

#18 finitewisdom

finitewisdom

Deacon Blues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7458
  • Ebay ID:finitewisdom
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

Oak Hollow in High Point, NC is one of Pete Dye's earlier designs. It's an affordable but challenging municipal course that's definitely worth the trip if you're nearby.

I lived in High Point several years ago and could play Oak Hollow on the weekends for less than $30 with a cart. It's probably a bit more now, but not too much.

There's more info at www.oakhollowgc.com and a great review at http://www.thehacker...w-High-Point-NC
Nike Covert 2.0 driver (Wishon S2S Red Wood)
Wishon 775HS hybrids (2, 4) (Wishon S2S Red Hybrid)

Wishon 755PC irons (6-P) (Wishon S2S Red Iron)
Ping Glide wedges (50
°SS, 54°SS, 58°WS) (Ping CFS Wedge)
BombTech Wedge (72°) (Ping CFS Wedge)
Square Strike Wedge
(45°)
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C putter
Bridgestone e6 Soft balls

#19 amateur pro

amateur pro

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93436
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

Dallas was recently named the best city for golf (not sure if that's the exact title) and with good reason. Sure there are ultra exclusive clubs with $200k initiation fees, but there are also munis in fairly good shape and very playable. I play at all the City of Dallas munis, and they are all under $30 for a prime weekend tee time (no cart, I walk all these courses). Arlington munis are between $25-$30, again no cart. I wouldn't consider any of these courses run down by any means. Grapevine muni is slightly more, but $40 to walk a course with 27 holes, literally next to Cowboys golf club ($200/round and ranked #1 public course in DFW every year since it opened) with very comparable conditions is a steal to me.

#20 p3ga

p3ga

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209795
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 435

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

A wonderful read & site dedicated to these types of courses is located at www.hiddenfairways.com

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

All the clubs I've ever owned.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Wedge

Wedge

Wedge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35957
  • Ebay ID:BornBredBlue
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

View Postfinitewisdom, on 09 May 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

Oak Hollow in High Point, NC is one of Pete Dye's earlier designs. It's an affordable but challenging municipal course that's definitely worth the trip if you're nearby.

I lived in High Point several years ago and could play Oak Hollow on the weekends for less than $30 with a cart. It's probably a bit more now, but not too much.

There's more info at www.oakhollowgc.com and a great review at http://www.thehacker...w-High-Point-NC

Dude....you stole my hidden gem!!! :)

Great course. The Triad area of NC is loaded with excellent, AFFORDABLE, and walkable courses for under $35.

A couple of others are Pilot Knob (Pilot Mountain) Golf Course and Silo Run.

Pilot is open to the public during the week. Zoyzia fairways and greens; outstanding condition, rolling hills, fun and challenging. About 25-30 miles north of Winston Salem just off Highway 52.

Silo Run is the true definition of a hidden gem. About 25 miles northwest of Winston Salem off Highway 67 towards Boonville. Rolling hills, has almost a links feel to the course, challenging,  and you can play for $25 and under. Not swanky, bunch of country people, handmade signs, but a course you could play regularly that would give you a game that would travel well.

Jamestown Park is another excellent course I'm sure you've played as well.

I miss living in that part of NC.
Driver: Ping G30 10.5* w/Axivcore Black 5.5 Shaft
3W: Adams Tight Lies 2 TI 15* w/Axivcore Black 5.5 Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway x2Hot 19*; x2Hot 22*; x2Hot 25*
Irons: Adams XTD Forged 6i-9i; KBS C-Taper
Wedges:Adams MB2 PW; Vokey SM6 50/08* "F" Grind;
Vokey SM6 54/08* "M" & 58/08* "M"
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W 34" w/FlatCat Solution Putter Grip
NEO-X GPS Watch; Tour Trek 2.0 Push Cart
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour

"I'm glad to say I've come around, but if I could have one wish....
I'd like another try at 25....or was it 26."

Charlie Daniels

#22 BTmizuno1983

BTmizuno1983

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305889
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

Eagle point golf club, outside of Houston.

#23 sgniwder99

sgniwder99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107399
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

Mystery Valley right outside Atlanta. Definitely beloved by locals, and for good reason.

Crawfordsville Municipal Golf Course in Crawfordsville, IN. Awesome layout for a middle-of-nowhere muni, with no 2 holes alike, several really memorable ones, and 2 distinctly different 9's. And in surprisingly good shape most of the time.
Nike VR Limited 9.5 (A'hina S)
TEE CB4 Tour 15 (Whiteboard S)
Titleist 910H 17 (A'hina S)
Adams CMB 4-GW (C-Taper S)
Adams Puglielli Black 52(51), 54(55) & 60(59)              
Kingston KP001

#24 chadly643

chadly643

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83337
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:50 PM

Someone mentioned the golf now hot deals as a way to play some real gems for cheap. The best deal I've ever gotten on golf now was 20 bucks to ride 18 in the summer at the thoroughbred golf club in west Michigan. Its an Arthur hills design that challenges and delights even the best golfers.

#25 DRGJR72

DRGJR72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7788
  • Handicap:PGA
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:02 PM

Pacific Grove Golf Links.

Fornt nine goes away from the sea and the back nine makes it way back around the ocean.  The value relative to what you pay for pebble and the others is unbelievable.  Great track for 60-70 bucks.  Half of the course is on the ocean.  Views are absurd.

http://www.playpacificgrove.com

This is my sleeper.

Driver: GBB Rogue Sub Zero
3W: Callaway DBD
Hybrid: Adams LSP
Irons: Bridgestone J40 cb/TM P-790 on the way
52, 56, 60 Fourteen
Putter: Odyssey Highway 101 #7

#26 smp220

smp220

Retired Deadbeat Caddie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86490
  • Ebay ID:smpro220
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:35 PM

Winnapaug in Rhode Island.  Old Donald Ross course that is such an enjoyable design, it ranks in top 5 public in state despite conditioning that is not comparable to rest of the list.

#27 vjswing

vjswing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31462
GolfWRX Likes : 343

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

View PostDRGJR72, on 09 May 2014 - 11:02 PM, said:

Pacific Grove Golf Links.

Fornt nine goes away from the sea and the back nine makes it way back around the ocean.  The value relative to what you pay for pebble and the others is unbelievable.  Great track for 60-70 bucks.  Half of the course is on the ocean.  Views are absurd.

http://www.playpacificgrove.com

This is my sleeper.
Absolutely second the motion on Pacific Grove Muni!  Played it several years ago, and definitely want to go back there at some point down the road.

#28 NavyLD12

NavyLD12

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19052
  • Ebay ID:kennethbred12
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:53 AM

View PostLeftRightLeftRight, on 09 May 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

Northern California
Gleneagles in San Francisco.  http://www.gleneagle...bn2u7d1pdxq2yl9
Sharp Park in Pacifica.  Alister MacKenzie course!
Plumas Lakes G&CC in Olivehurst is inexpensive with good greens and an interesting layout.

Haha I grew up playing Plumas lake and the new greens are much better.
Ping G400 LS 8.5 Tensei Pro White 70TX
PXG 0341 3 wood 13.5* HZRDUS Yellow 75 6,5
Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 20* KBS Tour V X 2* Flat
Ben Hogan FT Worth Black 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat
Ben Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Tour V X 2* Flat
Ben Hogan Equalizer 55* KBS Tour V X 2* Flat
Ben Hogan Equalizer 60* KBS Tour V S 2* Flat
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback
Snell MTB Black/Red

#29 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1417

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostPooterMcStabbin, on 09 May 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

In Connecticut:
Fenwick $20 for 9.. really cool course.
Shennecossett: $1500 membership abuut $35 for 18. Nice Muni
Here's a 2nd vote for shenny. Classic and practically untouched Donald Ross course. :)

--kC
Callaway Fusion / RBZ 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD3 52*, 58*, 64*

#30 swaldron

swaldron

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20075
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

Buffalo Golf Course in PA, about 30 miles north of downtown Pittsburgh.  Always in good shape and flat.  Youngstown/Warren Ohio has some great golf courses too.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors