Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My UST Recoil Prototype Review (in Ping S55s)

UST Recoil Prototype Ping S55 graphite iron shafts

39 replies to this topic

#1 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 2906

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

I've had these irons for about a month now.  Instead of posting a review right away, I wanted to ensure that I gave myself sufficient time to truly evaluate the performance, feel, and also the value of the Recoil Protos in these irons.

My primary reason for purchasing the Recoil Protos was for the shock dampening benefits of graphite versus steel.  I am 46 years old  and have a history of elbow tendinitis, and have recently developed arthritis in my right thumb.  I've had multiple cortisone shots in each elbow over the past 12 years.  Make no mistake about it, at $90 per shaft installed, these shafts are expensive, but if they help me to enjoy the game more by reducing my pain, they will be well worth the price.

A little about my game:  My current HC is 3, but I can get it down to scratch if I spend the time working on my short game.  I'm certainly not "WRX long," but I can get it out there sufficiently.  My driver SS is in the 104-109 range on the course, and I would carry my previous 7 iron 163 yards on normal swings.  I am a shut-face player and typically play a draw with my irons and work it both ways with the driver.  My miss is a pull draw with the irons typically resulting from the shut face at the top and a body that refuses to turn well somedays due to stiffness.

After reading all of the information and reviews about the Recoils, and demoing Aerotech Steelfiber 110s, I reached out to Robert Ennis at UST.  I was not crazy about the feel of the Steelfibers.  They felt oddly counter-balanced and statically very different than my Ping S56s with CFS hard stepped stiff flex shafts or any Dynamic Gold shafted that I've played in the past.  I'm pretty sure it had to do with the balance point in the Steelfibers, and to be fair they felt nice upon impact, were very stable, and produced a nice flight.  I had a little trouble feeling them load though, and that feel is important to me.

So I spoke at length with Bobby Ennis about the Recoil product line and what would best fit my game.  My initial intentions were to simply re-shaft my S56s, since I really love those irons.  Bobby recommended the Recoil Proto 110s, hard-stepped one time.  When I told him I was considering re-shafting my S56s, he asked if I liked the look of the new Ping S55s.  Well, long story short, it turned out that Bobby had a demo set of S55s in his fitting studio that he said he would set up to my specs and sell to me at a fair price.  Done deal, 2 degrees flat, standard length, PW 1 degree weak to fit my wedge distance gaps.  Here is a photo of the 6 iron, you'll note that I stripped the paint fill off of the S55s for a nice clean look:

S55.jpg

S55 Recoil.jpg

First Impressions:  The Recoils are beautiful looking iron shafts and I'm sure get mistaken for steel by the undiscerning eye.  I like the nice clean look.  I had Bobby swing weight my irons to D2 and they came out perfect.  The static feel was not too dissimilar to what I've always been used to in steel shafted irons.  They definitely felt stiffer in the "waggle test" than the hard-stepped CFS shafts in my S56s.  I was initially a little concerned about being able to feel them load due to this stiff feeling.

The first few shots with crappy range balls on the practice tee were interesting.  The feel was so different than anything I had hit before. Immediately I noticed that they were producing a straighter ball flight than my previous irons.  Overall trajectory and apex height was about the same, which I was happy about.  Honestly though, testing any equipment for feel and performance with rock-hard range balls doesn't tell you much; I needed to get these out on the course.

In Play:  These shafts are definitely stiffer than my previous CFS stiff shafts, but I have no problem loading them and adjusted pretty quickly.  It took a little bit of time to get used to the dynamic feel.  It's different than steel...very smooth and powerful feeling on center strikes and soft off of the face, and somewhat dull and "plasticky" feeling on mishits.  They definitely provide you with feedback as to the quality of the strike, but in a very different feel through the hands than steel.  I suppose this is the shock dampening effects of graphite at work, and probably good for my hands and elbows.

A few things really stand out about these shafts.  First off, I have picked up about 6-8% extra distance per iron.  This is significant.  My 7 iron is now flying ~170 compared to my previous 163.  The Recoils really hold up well to aggressive swings where I'm trying to squeeze a little more out of a shot.  The ball holds its line nicely with no ballooning.  Knock-down shots are no problem, but even they are carrying longer than my old set, so I've had to adjust.

Overall trajectory is about the same, but the flight is much straighter.  They are exceptional and a marked improvement on into-the-wind shots...very stable flight!  I have not had these on a monitor, but I am certain they are spinning less than my previous irons.  This is good for me because I hit it pretty high, but it may not be good for everyone.

I have really had to get used to the straighter flight.  I'm so accustomed to a 5 yard draw that I apparently just automatically set up right to accomodate for it.  It's pretty cool because now I can aim more directly at my target (if I remember...lol) and trust that a good swing will hold its line better. Again, this is a significant performance difference for me, albeit one that I still need to get used to.

It takes a little more of an exaggerated move to turn these over from right to left, but it's doable and (for me) probably a good thing.  Fades are much easier to execute, which again, for me is good.  I have even been able to pull-off what for me is a very difficult shot, the low knock down fade.  This was nearly impossible for me with my previous set.

Overall:  I'm really loving both the shafts and the S55 irons.  The looks and performance are exceptional.  Feel is always so subjective, but it is growing on me.  In my experience, I tend to develop an affinity for the feel of my equipment on well struck shots over time.  No different here. I'm starting to love the feel of these on a crisply flushed shot.  It's different than steel and different than any graphite I've ever tried in the past.

I bought these primarily for the shock dampening benefits of graphite, but the stability of the ball flight has turned out to be the best feature of these shafts.  The extra distance is an added bonus.  It's still too early to tell if the shock dampening will help ease the joint pain over time, but so far so good, and I've had no tendinitis flair-ups.

USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Mob

Mob

Just Another Lefty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185540
  • Handicap:6.0
GolfWRX Likes : 837

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

Great review.  I have been playing mine since last year and really love them.  I agree with a lot of what you have seen.  I don't really see an increase in distance over my other set.  I also have a UST Elements Chrome shaft in my driver, which is based off the Recoil technology, and I am seeing really good results with it as well.
Ryoma Maxima type D driver with Tensei Pro Orange 60 stiff shaft
Callaway Rogue SZ 15 degree with Diamana X Limited 70 stiff shaft
P790 3-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
Cobra F8 22 degree hybrid with Tensei Pro Blue 80 stiff shaft
Titleist SM7 54 and 60 degree wedges
Lajosi Damascus Steel mallet with copper insert

#3 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

Yea, the extra distance is a nice bonus.  It may be that because they tend to hold their line better, I'm swinging more aggressively.   It doesn't feel like I'm working harder to get this extra distance though, so I'm not sure.  Could also have something to do with more optimal spin?

WITB:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#4 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113964
GolfWRX Likes : 1464

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

I like how the 125 F5's feel and perform in every facet except in the wind. I came from playing KBS C-Tapers, and I feel like I have very little control relative to how the C-Tapers would do in similar conditions.  That being said, they still are pretty darn good, even in the wind.

#5 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostSHIVAN, on 08 May 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

I like how the 125 F5's feel and perform in every facet except in the wind. I came from playing KBS C-Tapers, and I feel like I have very little control relative to how the C-Tapers would do in similar conditions.  That being said, they still are pretty darn good, even in the wind.

That's interesting.   Goes to show we are all different and you need to find what works for you.  I tried my buddy's C Tapers and hated them. They were difficult for me to load and felt extremely harsh.  Probably good for someone with a real harsh transition.

The Recoils (mine are 110 F4s hard stepped) feel pretty stiff, but I can load them easily, even on less than full shots.

WITB:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#6 scottvw13

scottvw13

VaporWRX!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 499

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

I've been playing recoil protos for over a year now and simply will not consider another shaft in my irons.

I also have the Chrome Tour Stiff in my driver and 3 wood...

#7 sandman31774

sandman31774

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68546
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

That pic of the S55's without the paintfill and with those recoil shafts is beautiful. Just sayin'
Titleist 910 D3
Titleist 910f 3 wood
Titleist 910h 17*
Titleist 714 MB 6-PW, CB 3-5
Titleist sm5 52* F grind, 58* M grind
Piretti Cottonwood II

#8 Backspin9

Backspin9

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7282
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

I went from Steel Fiber 110g to Recoil 110g and there wasn't really too much of an adjustment period.  I use the standard Recoil F4 (not the proto) soft-stepped once in my Ansers and it's a good fit.  I get about 165 out of a 7 iron which is my typical distance.  I will say that they hit very straight.  I fought a hook for a long time but along with some swing corrections this iron/shaft combo has really helped.

The first Recoils I had were in a set of i20's and were also soft-stepped, installed logo down.  They were nice, but I didn't get the consistency out of them that I thought I would.  I built the Ansers myself and spined them with the neutral bend point facing the target line, swing weight at D3.  While there will be a thousand opinions on a) whether it's even necessary or b) how the shaft should be oriented, I've found that it made a difference.  They play a little stiffer and IMO seem to be straighter and more consistent.  This is just my opinion on what I've seen, but overall, it's working out well.
PING G  Kuro Kage HBP 60
Callaway XR16 3 & 5W Tensei CK Blue 70
PING G25 23 Hybrid   GD Tour AD 85g Hyb
Callaway Apex CF16 5-GW  Recoil 780ES
Callaway MD3 54 & 58   Recoil 110
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red / SS Flatso 1.0
Bridgestone Tour B330

#9 cmusic

cmusic

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30867
  • Ebay ID:cmusic3300
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

I just installed a Pured standard Recoil 95 F4 in my MP-59 7-iron last night and I am heading to the course after work.  After all the hype about the Recoils I am finally going to test one out for myself.  I usually hit my 7-iron 155 yards with a KBS Tour stiff at 37" and D2 swingweight.  I thought about trying a 110 gram version, since I am accustomed to the 120 gram KBS Tour, but I really wanted to try the 95 gram version first.  The shaft installed straight in and I ended up with a D1-1/2 swingweight at 37" without any additional tip weighting.  If all goes well I will change out all the other shafts in my irons to Recoils.
Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/ Aldila Rouge Max 65S
Callaway BB 815 3-wood 14° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 665X
Callaway BB 815 hybrid 18° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 865X
Titleist T-MB 3 & 4 irons w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist SM6 52.08 and 58.04 w/ DG AMT Tour IssueX100
SC Select Newport 35" w/ Super Stroke Pistol GT
Bushnell Tour X / Garmin G8

#10 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

I'vehad a number of personal messages now asking about how I stripped the paint fill from the S55s.  I used a product easily found at Home Depot called Citristrip.  It's a paint removing gel.  

Apply it liberally but carefully to the paint filled areas and let sit for 24 hours.  CAUTION- It will damage weight ports, medallions, and hosels so be very careful.  Don't let it touch anything but the metal.  After 24 hours I used a small brass groove cleaning brush and a toothpick to scrape out the paint.

I did the same with my satin Cleveland wedges and they look really cool.

Edited by dpb5031, 08 May 2014 - 01:00 PM.

WITB:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

View Postdpb5031, on 08 May 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

That's interesting.   Goes to show we are all different and you need to find what works for you.  I tried my buddy's C Tapers and hated them. They were difficult for me to load and felt extremely harsh.  Probably good for someone with a real harsh transition.

Coming from a more "normal" shaft, like a KBS Tour, or a stock offering like the CFS, I would probably not ever have noticed that the Recoils were hurting me in the wind.  In fact, I might have gained some control over KBS Tours or CFS.  It's just when I am used to seeing one thing and get something else that I take notice.

#12 Kingcat990

Kingcat990

European Tailored Golf Socks

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,510 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291815
GolfWRX Likes : 2551

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

Great review. I have been wanting to try these out for the longest time but nobody carries these shafts. Nobody stocks shafts. Impossible to buy if you can't try.
Wyoming Cowboys

WITB
PRGR Nabla RS02M43S
PRGR Nabla 18° M43S
Masda Fast Blades 5-P Nippon 120S
EON TW15 52°/58° Nippon Wedge S
Piretti Matera
MacGregor VIP Heads 2-P Welded/Copper Finish
Miura Baby Blades
1-P

#13 Shotmaker

Shotmaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 313533
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:58 AM

nice review... your extra length on the short irons could be due to stronger lofts of the 55s...

#14 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:07 AM

View PostKingcat990, on 08 May 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

Great review. I have been wanting to try these out for the longest time but nobody carries these shafts. Nobody stocks shafts. Impossible to buy if you can't try.

It certainly is a big investment.  I did not have the opportunity to demo these shafts prior to my purchase,  so I definitely took a chance in doing the over the phone fitting with UST's Bobby Ennis.

In my case I had some pretty good benchmarks in terms of shafts that work well for me.  I told him that I got along well with my Ping CFS hard stepped stiffs,  and also that I had always done well with Dynamic Gold S300s.   I also shared with him that I loved the UST Axivcore green stiff flex shafts in my bore thru fairways.  Based on all of this plus my propensity to over draw my irons Bobby recommended the Recoil Prototype in F4, hard stepped once.  IMO they play stiffer than S300s, but are still easy enough for me to load without forcing the issue.

Bobby also explained that the Recoil Prototypes are different from the Recoils being offered by OEMS in that the Protos are a lower torque version favored by stronger players.  I think if you explain to Bob what you like and what works well for you in a shaft, and also what you don't care for, he'll have no problem fitting you.  The bigger question will likely be whether or not you like the feel of the Recoils.  In my case, I did not object to the feel from the start, although it is very different from steel.  As I spend more time with them the feel is really growing on me and I think I may actually prefer the feel over steel at this point.

WITB:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#15 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostShotmaker, on 09 May 2014 - 05:58 AM, said:

nice review... your extra length on the short irons could be due to stronger lofts of the 55s...

Well, you might be right about the mid irons...not sure, maybe a degree stronger than the S56s, but I had Bob bend my pitching wedge and 9 iron a degree weak to keep my distance gaps in check.  My S55 PW is 47, same as my S56 wedge.  I only carry 2 additional wedges at 53 and 59 degrees.

WITB:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#16 scottvw13

scottvw13

VaporWRX!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

The great thing about having Bobby fit you is that if you don't like what you are fit to, he will build you another set at no charge.

He originally fit me into the 95, but it felt light to me so he built me a set of 110's...

#17 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

View Postscottvw13, on 09 May 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

The great thing about having Bobby fit you is that if you don't like what you are fit to, he will build you another set at no charge.

He originally fit me into the 95, but it felt light to me so he built me a set of 110's...

Yes...that is huge!  I've been so happy with mine that I forgot that he had promised that to me when we went through the fitting.

WITB:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#18 Kingcat990

Kingcat990

European Tailored Golf Socks

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,510 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291815
GolfWRX Likes : 2551

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Does Bobby have a phone number? He sounds like a magical human being who should be catered to night and day. I'd like to ask him a few questions because as of right now, I've got about $1000 just sitting around my wife hasn't found yet and I really just want new shafts. If my wife finds this I'm going to have to go to time out.
Wyoming Cowboys

WITB
PRGR Nabla RS02M43S
PRGR Nabla 18° M43S
Masda Fast Blades 5-P Nippon 120S
EON TW15 52°/58° Nippon Wedge S
Piretti Matera
MacGregor VIP Heads 2-P Welded/Copper Finish
Miura Baby Blades
1-P

#19 Golf64

Golf64

Go Habs Go!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104067
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 3026

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:33 AM

View PostKingcat990, on 09 May 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

Does Bobby have a phone number? He sounds like a magical human being who should be catered to night and day. I'd like to ask him a few questions because as of right now, I've got about $1000 just sitting around my wife hasn't found yet and I really just want new shafts. If my wife finds this I'm going to have to go to time out.
Here's a secret on hiding money from your wife. Hide it in her lingerie drawer, she'll never find it!?

Edited by Golf64, 10 May 2014 - 07:34 AM.

Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
Fly Eagles Fly

#20 UST Mamiya TPS

UST Mamiya TPS

• Sponsors
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211441
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

View Postdpb5031, on 08 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

I've had these irons for about a month now.  Instead of posting a review right away, I wanted to ensure that I gave myself sufficient time to truly evaluate the performance, feel, and also the value of the Recoil Protos in these irons.

My primary reason for purchasing the Recoil Protos was for the shock dampening benefits of graphite versus steel.  I am 46 years old  and have a history of elbow tendinitis, and have recently developed arthritis in my right thumb.  I've had multiple cortisone shots in each elbow over the past 12 years.  Make no mistake about it, at $90 per shaft installed, these shafts are expensive, but if they help me to enjoy the game more by reducing my pain, they will be well worth the price.

A little about my game:  My current HC is 3, but I can get it down to scratch if I spend the time working on my short game.  I'm certainly not "WRX long," but I can get it out there sufficiently.  My driver SS is in the 104-109 range on the course, and I would carry my previous 7 iron 163 yards on normal swings.  I am a shut-face player and typically play a draw with my irons and work it both ways with the driver.  My miss is a pull draw with the irons typically resulting from the shut face at the top and a body that refuses to turn well somedays due to stiffness.

After reading all of the information and reviews about the Recoils, and demoing Aerotech Steelfiber 110s, I reached out to Robert Ennis at UST.  I was not crazy about the feel of the Steelfibers.  They felt oddly counter-balanced and statically very different than my Ping S56s with CFS hard stepped stiff flex shafts or any Dynamic Gold shafted that I've played in the past.  I'm pretty sure it had to do with the balance point in the Steelfibers, and to be fair they felt nice upon impact, were very stable, and produced a nice flight.  I had a little trouble feeling them load though, and that feel is important to me.

So I spoke at length with Bobby Ennis about the Recoil product line and what would best fit my game.  My initial intentions were to simply re-shaft my S56s, since I really love those irons.  Bobby recommended the Recoil Proto 110s, hard-stepped one time.  When I told him I was considering re-shafting my S56s, he asked if I liked the look of the new Ping S55s.  Well, long story short, it turned out that Bobby had a demo set of S55s in his fitting studio that he said he would set up to my specs and sell to me at a fair price.  Done deal, 2 degrees flat, standard length, PW 1 degree weak to fit my wedge distance gaps.  Here is a photo of the 6 iron, you'll note that I stripped the paint fill off of the S55s for a nice clean look:

Attachment S55.jpg

Attachment S55 Recoil.jpg

First Impressions:  The Recoils are beautiful looking iron shafts and I'm sure get mistaken for steel by the undiscerning eye.  I like the nice clean look.  I had Bobby swing weight my irons to D2 and they came out perfect.  The static feel was not too dissimilar to what I've always been used to in steel shafted irons.  They definitely felt stiffer in the "waggle test" than the hard-stepped CFS shafts in my S56s.  I was initially a little concerned about being able to feel them load due to this stiff feeling.

The first few shots with crappy range balls on the practice tee were interesting.  The feel was so different than anything I had hit before. Immediately I noticed that they were producing a straighter ball flight than my previous irons.  Overall trajectory and apex height was about the same, which I was happy about.  Honestly though, testing any equipment for feel and performance with rock-hard range balls doesn't tell you much; I needed to get these out on the course.

In Play:  These shafts are definitely stiffer than my previous CFS stiff shafts, but I have no problem loading them and adjusted pretty quickly.  It took a little bit of time to get used to the dynamic feel.  It's different than steel...very smooth and powerful feeling on center strikes and soft off of the face, and somewhat dull and "plasticky" feeling on mishits.  They definitely provide you with feedback as to the quality of the strike, but in a very different feel through the hands than steel.  I suppose this is the shock dampening effects of graphite at work, and probably good for my hands and elbows.

A few things really stand out about these shafts.  First off, I have picked up about 6-8% extra distance per iron.  This is significant.  My 7 iron is now flying ~170 compared to my previous 163.  The Recoils really hold up well to aggressive swings where I'm trying to squeeze a little more out of a shot.  The ball holds its line nicely with no ballooning.  Knock-down shots are no problem, but even they are carrying longer than my old set, so I've had to adjust.

Overall trajectory is about the same, but the flight is much straighter.  They are exceptional and a marked improvement on into-the-wind shots...very stable flight!  I have not had these on a monitor, but I am certain they are spinning less than my previous irons.  This is good for me because I hit it pretty high, but it may not be good for everyone.

I have really had to get used to the straighter flight.  I'm so accustomed to a 5 yard draw that I apparently just automatically set up right to accomodate for it.  It's pretty cool because now I can aim more directly at my target (if I remember...lol) and trust that a good swing will hold its line better. Again, this is a significant performance difference for me, albeit one that I still need to get used to.

It takes a little more of an exaggerated move to turn these over from right to left, but it's doable and (for me) probably a good thing.  Fades are much easier to execute, which again, for me is good.  I have even been able to pull-off what for me is a very difficult shot, the low knock down fade.  This was nearly impossible for me with my previous set.

Overall:  I'm really loving both the shafts and the S55 irons.  The looks and performance are exceptional.  Feel is always so subjective, but it is growing on me.  In my experience, I tend to develop an affinity for the feel of my equipment on well struck shots over time.  No different here. I'm starting to love the feel of these on a crisply flushed shot.  It's different than steel and different than any graphite I've ever tried in the past.

I bought these primarily for the shock dampening benefits of graphite, but the stability of the ball flight has turned out to be the best feature of these shafts.  The extra distance is an added bonus.  It's still too early to tell if the shock dampening will help ease the joint pain over time, but so far so good, and I've had no tendinitis flair-ups.

Great review.  Thanks for sharing your experiences and very glad to hear you are enjoying the s55's with recoil.  Keep me posted as you continue through the process.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 UST Mamiya TPS

UST Mamiya TPS

• Sponsors
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

Feel free to pm me and I will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you might have. Thanks.

#22 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

Bobby did my fitting and assembly too, and it was top notch.  Based on how my set performs in the wind, I knew he was probably right about F5 1x hardstepped.  If he does your fitting, either based on your information, or in the UST Mamiya studio in Ft. Worth, go with his recommendation.  I should have.

#23 scottvw13

scottvw13

VaporWRX!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

Magical? LOL don't know about that.

What I do know is that Bobby knows club building and customer service.  A great combination

#24 jay65

jay65

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1420

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostGolf64, on 10 May 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

Here's a secret on hiding money from your wife. Hide it in her lingerie drawer, she'll never find it!?

Lol. I personally favour hiding the money next to the car keys. She can never bloody find them!!

#25 KingLeo

KingLeo

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344125
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

Can I just say....

THOSE IRONS LOOK ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!!

#26 sway162

sway162

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168349
  • Handicap:14.2
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:50 PM

Any more reviews on this shaft?

I recently hit a demo RC Tour VS 6 iron paired with a recoil f4. I was blown away on the feel, the distance and the ball flight. I am coming from just stock dynamic gold stiff shafts. I went back to the range again today and again I am impress with this shaft.

Really thinking of upgrading to these shafts on my 5-pw irons.
Cleveland Launcher TL310
TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour 3 wood
PingG2 3 iron+Cleveland Mashie 4 hybrid
TM Tour Preferred MB 2011 5-PW dynamic s
TaylorMade TP xFT 50-54-58
Cleveland Classic Black Platinum 2

#27 UST Mamiya TPS

UST Mamiya TPS

• Sponsors
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:41 AM

View Postsway162, on 04 March 2015 - 04:50 PM, said:

I recently hit a demo RC Tour VS 6 iron paired with a recoil f4. I was blown away on the feel, the distance and the ball flight. I am coming from just stock dynamic gold stiff shafts. I went back to the range again today and again I am impress with this shaft.

There are a quite a few threads and reviews that have been posted in regards to our Recoil line of iron shafts.  The search function should help in finding these postings.  Also feel free to pm me with any questions or concerns and I can assist. Thanks.

#28 Aviador Naval

Aviador Naval

equus mortuus non caedis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305849
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 533

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:04 AM

View Postsway162, on 04 March 2015 - 04:50 PM, said:

Robert Ennis ('UST Mamiya TPS' above) installed Recoil Protos in my 5-PW a couple months ago.  I was a little nervous about spending the money without a full fitting but sent as much data as I could about my swing, shafts that I had previous success with, etc.  I was careful to be very candid about actual averages and long term trends and not cherry pick my best rounds, swings, shots, etc.  I am VERY pleased with the result.

Like the OP of this thread, I'm in my late 40s and the primary reason to switch was left elbow preservation.  In that regard, they have been wonderful.  I still had a bit of tenderness when my set returned from Texas but there was no way I could let them sit in the house while I waited the extra week or so for it to go away completely.  I have since hit 1000+ range balls and played 4 rounds of golf and my elbow feels great.

I was also a little nervous about the lighter weight (110 gr vice my previous best success that had come at 115 gr).  We increased the swingweight a little and I have had no issues at all.

I have a moderate swing speed with an average transistion and am probably more of a "hitter" than a "swinger."  The shaft profile Robert suggested (Recoil Proto 110 in F3 hardstepped x1) has been perfect.  My previous ballflight was playable but I could have stood a tad lower launch and lower spin with my irons - especially toward the lower end of the set.  It is hard to say for sure since temps have been much cooler than summer standard but my ballflight does seem to be improved (previous set btw was CTaper Lite in Stiff and set I had the best luck with was PX 5.0 but they left me with a very sore elbow).

Yesterday we had 60F and I hit a couple of buckets after work.  Hitting into a steady 5-8 mph wind, I was getting mid summer distance with a 'flatter' ballflight that apexed a bit further down range.  Based on the reaction of the ball on the green during the rounds I've been able to play, it seems fair to say that my spin is down a little (which is a good thing for me).  This also seems to fit with what I'm seeing on the course with the apex occurring a little further down range than what I had been seeing previously.

Despite the squirrelly winter weather, I can declare that these shafts are a much better fit for my swing than my previous.  They feel dynamic in transition (ie, like they 'load') yet very steady and solid at impact.  My impact quality and shot consistency are as good as they have ever been.  The feel is fantastic - slightly muted (which is a good thing for AP2s...) yet still crisp enough to provide feedback on impact quality.

Edited by Aviador Naval, 05 March 2015 - 08:06 AM.

917 D2 9.5
Rotating pool of ineffective and unsatisfying options
818 H1 19
818 H1 23 or T-MB 4i
718 CB/MB 5-P
50-12, 54F, 58D
Old Laguna 1.5

#29 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:33 AM

I'm still loving my S55s with Recoil 110s.  I went on a golf trip to the Dominican Republic last month where the winds are strong and steady every day. The clubs were great.  I have not checked launch monitor numbers, but I'm fairly certain these spin less than the Ping CFS and DG shafts I've used in the past. Even high shots easily cut through the wind. Best part is I played 7 days in a row with no hand or elbow pain.

My daughter (10th grade) is a good junior player and aspiring college D1 prospect.  Her previous set was lost/stolen by an airline traveling to a tournament so we had to get her a new set. I liked my Recoils so much I got her i25s with Recoil 95 F3s.  She loves them, and let me tell you, I love the way they feel in the i25s also...so much so that I think I'd have no problem playing the lighter 95 version as long as they were a flex stiffer.

WITB:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#30 Night train

Night train

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7139
GolfWRX Likes : 1766

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

I should not read these threads..........damn I want to try some of these

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Also tagged with UST, Recoil, Prototype, Ping, S55, graphite iron shafts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors