Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best driver for someone who's got the "Slices" again

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Big D McGee

Big D McGee

GET FLYERED UP!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6682
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:29 PM

So, my dreaded slice is back, and worse than ever.  Not only am I hitting WEAK pull slices with my driver, now my 3-Wood slices, though not as bad.  It's so frustrating, the rest of my game has come along to the point where my handicap is down to 16 (from a high of 30 last year).  But that's due to crisp ballstriking, great putting, and a solid short game.  If I could get my tee game under control, I know I could be down to a 12, maybe 10 by the end of the season.  I mean, I shot 86 on a moderately difficult course, and that was while stubbornly using my driver, and hitting 2 fairways total.

I tried the TaylorMade r7 Draw, and it just wasn't for me.  Instead of straightening out my drives, I hooked everything.  I love my MacTec, because when I hit it square I can squeeze 250+ out of it.  The face on this driver is square...can I get a clubmaker to close it a couple of degrees?  I just read that the Cally X460 is 2* closed, so I am going to demo one tomorrow.

Oh, and just for reference, my SS is about 95, I currently use the stock Fujikura shaft in S-Flex in my driver.  R-Flex is too whippy, as I've found with my Graffaloy ProLaunch Blue in my (soon to be gone) 3-Wood.

Thanks for any advice you can give me, I'm definitely open to getting a square driver if it will get rid of my slices once and for all.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 DCIGUY

DCIGUY

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11264

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:33 PM

My father-in-law has fought a slice for years.  He purchased an R5 Draw.  He now either hits a slight fade, straight or slight draw.  Very easy to hit and for me, it was only about 5-10 yards shorter than my 905R.  You can find the R5 pretty cheap now.

#3 Big D McGee

Big D McGee

GET FLYERED UP!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

^^Thanks, I'll check that out.  You've reminded me of a low-handicapper friend of mine who bought the r7 when it first came out, and quickly switched back to his r5.  I didn't know the TM r5 came in a draw model..they have some for sale on ebay, but in looking at the pics, there doesn't seem to be a way to determine the draw model from the r5 dual.  Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Edited by Big D McGee, 06 July 2007 - 09:37 PM.

#4 Minarets

Minarets

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28043
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

Big D McGee, on Jul 6 2007, 09:35 PM, said:

^^Thanks, I'll check that out.  You've reminded me of a low-handicapper friend of mine who bought the r7 when it first came out, and quickly switched back to his r5.  I didn't know the TM r5 came in a draw model..they have some for sale on ebay, but in looking at the pics, there doesn't seem to be a way to determine the draw model from the r5 dual.  Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Golf Galaxy had the R5s for $149.99 last week when i was there.....the Draw included.  

i eneded up buying a J33R from costco for $149.99 instead and get it on Tuesday....but the R5 was nice
Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
Putter: SeeMore mFGP
Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV

#5 Rabidpenguin45

Rabidpenguin45

Gotta love tour preffered knitts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15927
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:21 PM

On the back near the two set weights, it will say either TYPE N, for neutral, or TYPE D, for draw.

#6 Big D McGee

Big D McGee

GET FLYERED UP!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:40 AM

^^Got it, thanks!  I'll be hitting the used club bins at Golf Galaxy, I think I remember seeing a couple when I was there a few days ago.  They also had an FT-i and a Sumo Square, but I'm sure they were close to retail.  The R5 sounds like a solid choice.  I'll let you know how I fare.

#7 Evil R1

Evil R1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4832
  • Ebay ID:rcg52973

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:54 AM

I don't think the Draw Bias Drivers are going to fix a Slicing issue.  I had a nasty slice and had an FT-3 Draw Driver and I actually think it made my slice a bit worse.  

You might want to pickup one of these, Medicus Driver.  I've used this driver a few times when my swing was all out of whack and it really showed how I was swinging off plane which started as a setup issue.

Unfortunately now I have the pulls / hooks and the medicus doesn't really work for this as I'm not swinging out to in / over the top.  I'm just getting wristy and quick. :russian_roulette:

#8 wildwilly911

wildwilly911

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21429

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:47 AM

practice and lessons no driver is going to help

#9 hanknalex

hanknalex

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6309

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:01 AM

wildwilly911, on Jul 7 2007, 05:47 AM, said:

He is right. Spend your money on lessons before dropping it on another driver.

Best of Luck!!

#10 sirbanksalot

sirbanksalot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21096
  • Ebay ID:yeahbutitsadryheat

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

wildwilly911, on Jul 7 2007, 05:47 AM, said:

WW911 is correct.  Equipment is a band aid - lessons are corrective surgery.  (Am I am profound guy or what........... :russian_roulette: )

Look on the internet and find that swing drill that uses the 2 x 4 and makes you come at the ball from inside and follow thru down the target line all without hitting that 2 x 4.  Master that drill and your slice will turn into a tight little draw.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 alexthegrrr8

alexthegrrr8

Aim high....score low!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4338
  • Ebay ID:cobragolffan

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:30 AM

wildwilly911, on Jul 7 2007, 06:47 AM, said:

I agree, your driver could be just fine. You could've developed a slight cast or some other demon that needs to be exorcized. Exorcize them there demons. But if you insist it's your driver even though it's drastic and all, and if the slice is as bad as it sounds...dare I say try an offset.

Warning:  Use of this type of equipment has been known to cause the lefts. Consult a physician before use.

Alex

#12 Damian

Damian

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24429
  • Ebay ID:damian6467

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:40 AM

I'm no beacon of golf swing mechanics and I'm definatley not one to give advice on anything golf related but I fought a wicked driver/fairway wood slice as well till I had a fitter shorten my shaft 1 1/2". I can't miss a fairway and after 4 or 5 rds I got back any distance loss and then some. Probably a quick fix for a bad habit, but I am having a great time playing the game now.

#13 czydj

czydj

mebbe this will work...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28148

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:51 AM

alexthegrrr8, on Jul 7 2007, 08:30 AM, said:

wildwilly911, on Jul 7 2007, 06:47 AM, said:

I agree, your driver could be just fine. You could've developed a slight cast or some other demon that needs to be exorcized. Exorcize them there demons. But if you insist it's your driver even though it's drastic and all, and if the slice is as bad as it sounds...dare I say try an offset.

Alex

I have to echo the posts of fixing the swing mechanics.  I have a G5 "offset" driver sitting against the wall in the living room that I can slice any day of the week.  I finally went and worked with an instructor and he immediately spotted a bent left wrist, which I was in the process of fixing until I injured my hand.  Now, here I am, looking at Burner drivers for more  "forgiveness" when I know what works.  A quick check for the wrist I've found is to put a ruler or wooden paint stirrer inside your glove, up the back of your forearm.  If you feel the stick/ruler pushing against the back of your hand or arm in your backswing, you found your problem...

Hope this helps with your ball flight challenges.  I know your post helped to remind me and just saved me $425...   :russian_roulette:  :clapping:  :clapping:

#14 wildwilly911

wildwilly911

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21429

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:02 AM

that will only work for a weak to neutral grip, also not good for the fallow thru

#15 Big D McGee

Big D McGee

GET FLYERED UP!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

I think I'm going to just take a lesson.  Golf Galaxy lessons aren't that expensive, and the teacher at my local GG is very good.  I will be trying out an r7 Draw 3W, though.  I can't hit my current 3W off the deck, but I hit the used r7 draw 5W incredibly long and straight.

But yeah, unless I can find a TM r5 incredibly cheap, lessons it is.  Thanks for reminding me that technology doesn't cure everything! :russian_roulette:

#16 theboom

theboom

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28398

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

i would say the new nike sumo. i had a tendency to hit a fade, that could turn into a slice at times, and this sumo has straightened that out. now if i miss, it is hook....but mostly straight

i have the great aldila vs proto shaft in it

#17 Diesel

Diesel

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20859
  • Ebay ID:ckneasel

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:35 PM

a driver is not going to correct a slice...

i play with a guy that bought an offset G5 and he still slices the ball... he simply comes over the top everytime, which we all know is a slice swing... the offset G5 just lessoned the beast, but he can still slice it OB too...

#18 Big D McGee

Big D McGee

GET FLYERED UP!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

I almost bought a used r5 Draw for $50 (after coupon) from Golf Galaxy.  But it was 9.5* of loft and I always play 10.5*.  I'm going to try something at the range tonight re ball position.  The maddening thing is that I am consistently hitting the sweet spot of the driver...just with a slightly open face.  Argh.  My thought is that the ball is too far back in my stance, I need to move it up a hair to square the face.  On the launch monitor, it showed the face just ever so slightly open.  Cross your fingers!

Edited by Big D McGee, 07 July 2007 - 06:03 PM.

#19 Diesel

Diesel

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20859
  • Ebay ID:ckneasel

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:17 PM

a slightly open face with an inside out swing path should not promote that huge slice... if anything it should be a slight push right...

#20 TheReptilia

TheReptilia

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9719
  • Ebay ID:thereptilia

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:22 PM

if your fighting the bad slices, i'd definitely give the Cleveland ti 460 offset or the Cobra m speed offset a go. i hit them both nothing but long and straight.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Big D McGee

Big D McGee

GET FLYERED UP!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:21 AM

Thanks to everyone who advised me to work on the problem, instead of getting a band-aid.  Last night, I checked both Golfdigest.com and Golf.com for some of their instructional articles.  The one article that stuck out was dealing with fundamentals.  Something clicked, and I couldn't get to the range fast enough last night.

Long story short, I am such a dork, I don't need a new driver, I just needed to work on my fundamentals!  Not only was I standing too far from the ball, but it was just slightly too far back in my stance.  I teed the ball up to a moderate height, was very careful to keep it just off inside left heel, and stood much closer than I had been.  As Jack Hamm would say, "POW!".  Slice GONE!  I hit nice penetrating  straight balls, with the occasional slight fade thrown in.  I was able to really give it my "Par-5" swing, a full turn to parrallel and really aggressively swing through the ball with my arms and hips.  Man, did the ball go far!  I would say that of the 75 balls I hit, about 10 were either hooks or pop-ups, but they came towards the end, when I got a bit fatigued.  I feel so much better now, I can't wait to attack the golf course on Monday, I know I can beat my personal best of 86!

Again, thanks for the solid advice.  I really do love my MacTec, always have.  I just got too comfortable with it, I guess, and got lazy in my fundamentals.  I'll be sure and be vigilant from now on.

Still might demo the TM Burner when it comes down in price, though.  Gotta stay true to my club ho roots still!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors