Connect with us

News

Dustin Johnson, Hootie & the Blowfish inducted into Myrtle Beach Golf Hall of Fame

Published

on

Dustin Johnson continued his awesome week by being inducted into the Myrtle Beach Golf Hall of Fame on Wednesday. The members of the band Hootie & the Blowfish were also inducted into the Hall in recognition of tournament that has been held in Myrtle Beach over the past decade and has raised millions for charity.

Soon to be named the top ranked player in the world after winning the WGC event in Mexico City last week, Johnson, who is a long-time resident of Myrtle Beach, was honored for his accomplishments on the PGA Tour as well as his work with junior golfers. It will be a  busy weekend for Johnson; he will celebrate the opening of his golf academy at TPC Myrtle Beach on February 28 and the fourth annual Dustin Johnson World Junior Golf Championship at TPC Myrtle Beach will be held March 1-3, featuring one of the strongest fields in junior golf.

Johnson’s acceptance speech was characteristically short and to the point.  “This is a great honor. I’m going to try to do as much as I can to make you proud of me,” he said. Johnson’s longtime partner Paulina Gretzky was also in attendance to share in the celebrations.

Hootie & the Blowfish band members Mark Bryan, Dean Felber, Peter Holsapple, Jim Sonefeld, and Darius Rucker have raised over $7 million for charity with their Monday After the Masters tournament, a bucket list event that attracts stars from the sporting and entertainment worlds. Johnson has participated in the event in past years, as has Tiger Woods, Tom Watson, and a host of other PGA Tour stars.

Said band member Mark Bryan, “We just had an idea that we wanted to have an event where we played some golf and played some music. We could never have guessed that it would be this successful and we sure never planned to be in any Hall of Fame.”

Guitarist and singer Rucker was recently named an Ambassador to the PGA Tour.

Bill Golden, the CEO of Golf Tourism Solutions, the organization in charge of Myrtle Beach golf tourism, noted, “Myrtle beach has long been the center of the golf travel industry. We are so proud that of the accomplishments of Dustin Johnson and of Hootie and the Blowfish, and we know they will continue their success for years to come.”

The event was held at Pine Lakes Country Club, home of the oldest golf course in Myrtle Beach.

Your Reaction?
  • 8
  • LEGIT0
  • WOW0
  • LOL0
  • IDHT0
  • FLOP0
  • OB0
  • SHANK1

Williams has a reputation as a savvy broadcaster, and as an incisive interviewer and writer. An avid golfer himself, Williams has covered the game of golf and the golf lifestyle including courses, restaurants, travel and sports marketing for publications all over the world. He is currently working with a wide range of outlets in traditional and electronic media, and has produced and hosted “Sticks and Stones” on the Fox Radio network, a critically acclaimed show that combined coverage of the golf world with interviews of the Washington power elite. His work on Newschannel8’s “Capital Golf Weekly” and “SportsTalk” have established him as one of the area’s most trusted sources for golf reporting. Williams has also made numerous radio appearances on “The John Thompson Show,” and a host of other local productions. He is a sought-after speaker and panel moderator, he has recently launched a new partnership with The O Team to create original golf-themed programming and events. Williams is a member of the United States Golf Association and the Golf Writers Association of America.

2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. Ace

    Feb 28, 2019 at 7:35 pm

    Thats cold…Keep it real (& sober) Dustin

  2. Tom

    Feb 28, 2019 at 12:33 pm

    Things go better with coke, right dj?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News

Report: 2020 Open Championship set to be cancelled; R&A releases statement in response: “continuing to work through options”

Published

on

This year’s Open Championship will be cancelled outright by the R&A due to the Coronavirus pandemic, according to a report from Golf Digest.

Per the report, an unnamed source has divulged to the publication that the championship will next take place in 2021 with St. Andrews hosting the event. Royal St. Georges, due to host the 2020 Open Championship, would instead host the 2024 edition.

According to Golf Digest’s source, insurance has played a pivotal role in the decision making. As with Wimbledon, the Open Championship has an insurance policy that protects itself against a global pandemic if the event is cancelled by a specific date.

On Wednesday, the R&A officially announced that the 41st Curtis Cup would be played in 2021 while the organization also moved the British Amateur and British Women’s Amateur from June to August.

Though unconfirmed, this would mark the first major championship of 2020 to be cancelled outright, with the Masters and PGA Championship having been officially postponed.

*UPDATE*

On Thursday morning, in light of the speculation surrounding this year’s Open Championship, Martin Slumbers, Chief Executive of The R&A, released a statement where he said the R&A are “continuing to work through our options for The Open this year.”

“We are continuing to work through our options for The Open this year, including postponement. Due to a range of external factors, that process is taking some time to resolve. We are well aware of the importance of being able to give clear guidance to fans, players and everyone involved and are working to resolve this as soon as we can. We will give a further update as soon as we are in a position to do so and thank everyone for their support and understanding in this challenging situation.”

Your Reaction?
  • 0
  • LEGIT2
  • WOW0
  • LOL1
  • IDHT0
  • FLOP0
  • OB0
  • SHANK0

Continue Reading

News

Report: Woods-Mickelson Part 2 likely to happen in May and will feature two other sporting superstars

Published

on

Earlier this week, Phil Mickelson teased “The Match” Part 2 on his social media, and according to a report from CNBC the exhibition, though unconfirmed, is likely to take place in May and will include both Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

On Monday evening, golf journalist Robert Lusetich stated that the potential “The Match” Part 2 would likely involve NFL legends, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning in a two on two contest.

Now per CNBC’s report, who claim that “a person familiar with the negotiations” confirmed the story to them, the contest is organized by AT&T’s WarnerMedia and the PGA Tour, and would likely take place in May with the proceeds going towards coronavirus relief charities.

The report also claims the event would likely not be a pay-per-view contest, with plans also in place to feature big names throughout the PGA, NFL, and National Basketball Association.

Your Reaction?
  • 14
  • LEGIT0
  • WOW0
  • LOL2
  • IDHT0
  • FLOP0
  • OB0
  • SHANK4

Continue Reading

News

Schedule postponements and cancellations on the PGA Tour, European Tour plus the four majors: What we know so far

Published

on

With the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, the PGA Tour and European Tour have taken steps to cancel or postpone several events. Action has also been taken on some of golf’s major championships, and here we’ll summarize what decisions have been made so far altering the 2020 calendar.

The Majors

Both The Masters (April 9-12) and PGA Championship (May 14-17) have been officially postponed with hopes of rescheduling both events for later in the year. According to the NY Post, the US Open is also set to be postponed and rescheduled for “later in the summer”, though as of Tuesday, March 31 the USGA has made no formal announcement confirming this news.

The R&A has of yet made no announcement on this year’s Open Championship which is due to take place from 16-19 of July.

  • April 9-12: The Masters – Postponed
  • May 14-17: PGA Championship – Postponed
  • June 18-21: US Open – NY Post reporting postponed; not yet confirmed by USGA
  • July 16-19: Open Championship – On Schedule

PGA Tour

Since cancelling the Players Championship mid-event, the PGA Tour decided to cancel several subsequent tournaments. As of now, the earliest return date for the PGA Tour is May 21 at the Charles Schwab Challenge.

The Corales Puntacana Resort & Club Championship which is played the same week as the WGC-Match Play was postponed with plans to reschedule the event.

  • March 12-15: The Players Championship – Cancelled
  • March 19-22: Valspar Championship – Cancelled
  • April 16-19: RBC Heritage – Cancelled
  • April 23-26: Zurich Classic of New Orleans – Cancelled
  • April 30-May 3: Wells Fargo Championship – Cancelled
  • May 7-10: AT&T Byron Nelson – Cancelled

European Tour

Along with the cancelled WGC-Match Play and confirmed postponed major championships, the European Tour has postponed a further seven events. Unlike the PGA Tour, the European Tour has chosen to postpone almost every upcoming event for the time being instead of cancelling. The GolfSixes Cascais is the only confirmed cancellation as of now.

On Monday, the Dubai Duty-Free Irish Open became the latest tournament to be postponed meaning the earliest possible return date for action on the European Tour is now June 4 at the Trophee Hassan II.

  • March 12-15: Magical Kenya Open – Postponed
  • March 19-22: Hero Indian Open – Postponed
  • April 16-19: Maybank Championship – Postponed
  • April 23-26: Volvo China Open – Postponed
  • April 30-May 3: Andalucia Masters – Postponed
  • May 9-10: GolfSixes Cascais – Cancelled
  • May 21-24: Made in Denmark – Postponed
  • May 28-31: Irish Open – Postponed
Your Reaction?
  • 1
  • LEGIT0
  • WOW8
  • LOL0
  • IDHT0
  • FLOP0
  • OB0
  • SHANK3

Continue Reading

WITB

Facebook

Trending