On July 4th, while America was celebrating its Independence Day, Justin Rose dropped a firework of a Tweet; a photo of his new, shiny TaylorMade “Rose Proto” irons. They appear to have a similar construction to Rory McIlroy’s “Rors Proto” irons he put in the bag in 2017, although Rose’s have a different finish — chrome versus Rory’s satin.
— Justin Rose (@JustinRose99) July 4, 2017
With two seemingly similar sets of forged blade irons from TaylorMade, that certainly makes us wonder if the company is considering a public release of the irons. Here’s what a TaylorMade representative had to say about the “Rose Proto” irons.
“These are proto forged irons that we milled for Justin here in Carlsbad following Rory putting a set of his Rors Proto irons into play at The Players. We’ll continue to source feedback from the athletes before we make a decision on a potential market introduction.”
For comparison: Rose Proto (left) vs. Rory Proto
Of course, GolfWRX members were quick to comment on the Rose Proto irons. Below is a collection of the notable takes on the matter.
- thedurtydurden: Dare I say these look better than Rory’s satin heads.
- noodle3872: I’m liking the chrome better. I guess I fall into the “blades should be chromed” camp.
- JJBonyai: Looks like P730 on the hosel?
- bladehunter: These look great! TM doing a nice job for sure.. only thing i could say as well is thats a wonky Font for the numbers.. BUT it wouldn’t stop me from hitting them!
- Z1ggy16: I wonder if the retail version will be offered in the satin or chrome finish, and just say PROTO on them, or whatever TM officially names it.