Pros: The Hi-Rev 2 adds approximately 250 rpm more spin than the original. The 610 is impressively stable and low-launching for high-spinning wedge shaft.
Cons: They’re $43.95 each. Shaft weight is based on flex.
Who’s it for: The 610 is for high-spin players who prefer a penetrating trajectory. The Hi-Rev 2.0 targets players looking for increased launch and spin from their wedges.
To understand the purpose of KBS’ new 610 and Hi-Rev 2.0 wedge shafts, it’s helpful to consider the unique role wedges play. Often referred to as “scoring clubs,” serious golfers know how important it is to be able to hit a variety of shots on multiple trajectories from 125 yards and in. To this end, KBS Shaft Designer Kim Braly developed two wedge-specific shafts, each of which offer particular launch and spin characteristics.
The 610 is a butt-stiff shaft that is engineered to produce a lower flight with slightly less spin (200 rpm more than KBS’ stock wedge shaft). It is available in three flexes/weights:
- 110 grams (Regular Flex)
- 120 grams (Stiff Flex)
- 125 grams (Stiff + Flex)
The Hi-Rev 2.0 is the second take on the popular Hi-Rev shaft. The original Hi-Rev produced a launch similar to the KBS’ Tour wedge shaft, but had a more active tip section for increased spin. In comparison, the Hi-Rev 2.0 is higher launching and higher spinning than the Hi-Rev. In testing, the Hi-Rev 2.0 exhibited approximately 700 more rpm of spin than the standard KBS Tour wedge shaft and 250 more rpm of spin than the Hi-Rev.
It is also available in three weights/flexes:
- 115 grams (Regular)
- 125 grams (Stiff)
- 135 grams (X-Stiff)
In both on-course and range testing, the Hi-Rev 2.0 and 610 held true to their stated performance characteristics.
On full shots with my 56-degree Callaway Mack Daddy 2 and 52-degree TaylorMade Tour Preferred wedges, the 610 felt suspiciously like the KBS Tour-V iron shaft. This isn’t surprising given the similarity in bend profile, step pattern and weight between the Tour-V and 610. The flight was a touch lower than my current wedges, but still plenty high enough to hold firm greens.
Where the 610 really earned its stripes was on partial and three-quarter shots. It was like tossing bean bags filled with lead. Shots from 40-to-60 yards often took a single hop and then stopped within 3-to-4 feet of the pitch mark. Several shots simply stuck like Nastia Liukin in the 2008 Olympics.
If you find yourself ripping wedge shots off greens or struggling to hit your wedges low enough, the 610 might be the cure to your ills.
I also tested a 56-degree Callaway Mack Daddy 2 wedge with the Hi-Rev 2.0 in stiff (125 grams). On full shots, it created a bit too much spin for my game, but shots from the rough and varied lies did have a bit more grip on them than I’m used to. On less-than-full shots inside 100 yards, the Hi-Rev was lively, and for a shaft with a more flexible tip section, it never felt loose or out of control. In fact, the increased launch and spin could become quite useful in firm courses and touch shots around the green.
As such, Braly expects nearly 20 percent of KBS tour players to fit into the Hi-Rev 2.0, with the other 80 percent or so opting for the 610.
The possibility of seeing both the 610 and Hi-Rev 2.0 as inline options from OEMs moving forward is certainly there, however, for the time being, they be available through certified KBS retailers and carry an MSRP of $43.95.
If there’s a subtext to this conversation it’s that wedges — because of the loft and USGA groove regulations — can only be tweaked so much by modifications to the head itself. By opening the conversation to include wedge specific shaft designs, Braly is trying to shift a paradigm and get players to place the same intensity on wedge fitting many do their longer clubs.
If you find yourself wishing you could stop wedge shots closer to the hole, wedge-specific shafts are a great place to start. Both the 610 and Hi-Rev 2.0 should be on your list of shafts to test.